Wonder what the outcome could have been

This is a discussion on Wonder what the outcome could have been within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wonder what the outcome could have been if anyone had been carrying. This reinforces my desire to carry and is a good answer for the ...

Thread: Wonder what the outcome could have been

Wonder what the outcome could have been

Wonder what the outcome could have been if anyone had been carrying. This reinforces my desire to carry and is a good answer for the "why do you have to carry" question...

this came from the Richmond Times Dispatch

http://timesdispatch.com/servlet/Sat...=1045855934842

here is the story..

Attack fuels familiar urban fears
    MICHAEL PAUL WILLIAMS
    TIMES-DISPATCH COLUMNIST
    Friday, July 7, 2006

In the wake of an attack on Fourth of July revelers, Richmond police say no roving gangs prowl the south bank of the James River.

A group of young people watching Dogwood Dell's fireworks beneath the Boulevard Bridge reported being attacked and robbed Tuesday night by assailants wielding baseball bats and 40-ounce malt-liquor bottles.

The victims were white and the assailants were black, a circumstance that's always volatile in Richmond.

If e-mails and phone calls to The Times-Dispatch are any indication, the incident stoked lingering fears about urban crime in all its random ugliness and the role race plays in that violence. It didn't help that James River Park, during the 1980s, had some incidents of race-related violence.

But Richmond police spokeswoman Kirsten Nelson described the incident yesterday as a war of words that escalated.

She said the sergeant investigating the case "thinks it started out as sort of a verbal confrontation, one group egging on the other, and things sort of got out of hand and it ended up with an assault and robbery."

She called the incident "a function of the day, the crowd, the ages of the people involved, that type of thing."

No arrests had been made as of yesterday. Also, no one was guilty of trespassing on the property, which is not part of James River Park, Nelson said.

"We are aggressively pursuing this," Nelson said. "[The sergeant] said he felt that it was very important not to turn this into something it's not and panic people that there's a gang roving around attacking people."

Nelson said police don't believe race was a huge element in the attack, during which four people suffered minor injuries.

But two of the victims, who wanted to be identified by first name only, said yesterday that the other group hurled racial slurs and obscenities at their group.

"All of them said we were talking [trash] to them. They said they heard us say something," said Stavros, 20, who took refuge on a rock in the middle of the river.

"It seemed like the racial motivation was definitely there more than the robbery motivation," he said. "It seemed like they just wanted to fight and beat up people."

Stavros was at the riverbank with a friend, Kelsey, also 20.

Kelsey said about 30 or 40 people had been watching the fireworks, but that crowd thinned after the grand finale. The remaining group of 10 or 15 people were talking and laughing when they were attacked, she said.

Stavros said the attackers had showered their group with rocks from a spot at the nearby railroad tracks. Two guys came toward them, one holding a baseball bat.

Stavros said he didn't see anyone get hit with a bat.

"I was definitely in fleeing mode and I was the first one gone," he said. "But I think everyone was docile and gave them pretty much what they wanted."

Kelsey also fled into the river.

"I don't usually put myself in situations where I think this could happen. It was scary," she said.

"I've never felt unsafe at any place in the city at all," said Kelsey, a graduate of the Maggie Walker Governor's School for International Studies.

Even as police characterize the incident as isolated, Kelsey and Stavros have their doubts. For them, their hangout on the James will never be the same.

"I'm a frequenter of that exact spot and have never run into anything unpleasant before," Stavros said. "And I feel like that whole thing will give the river a bad reputation."

And open the floodgates to more fears about the safety of our city.

Contact staff writer Michael Paul Williams at mwilliams@timesdispatch.com or (804) 649-6815.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like it was a shame no one was carrying.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    Baseball Bat is a seriously deadly offensive weapon. Yes, it is.

Anyone running at me w/ a baseball bat wanting to crush in my calvarium wins a toe tag.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Wonder how long before the Brady Bunch wants to put length requirements and register all baseball bats....

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    IF the Old Dominion has a "Stand Your Ground Law", then I'd say Mr. Baseball Bat Man was very lucky indeed that someone in the outnumbered, assaulted, robbed group wasn't armed.

If not, however, I'd say that it's a lucky day for anyone who WAS packing and DIDN'T send Mr. Baseball Bat Cretin to eternal damnation, 'cause without the "Stand Your Ground" law, you MUST "retreat" (coward like), as did the person who was quoted in the story.

Sad, sad world.

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - wasn't there - but .................. more hmmmm!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You only have to retreat if you have the ability/oportunity to retreat. I'd say that being pushed into a crowd or defending a non-moving crowd lets you off the retreat hook.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

But Richmond police spokeswoman Kirsten Nelson described the incident yesterday as a war of words that escalated.

Read that? One group armed may have resulted in a long time in jail. We have to face it. If we carry, we have to "take" a lot of verbal threats and let them slide off. There may have been a serious escalation in there that we don't know about.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMike

Read that? One group armed may have resulted in a long time in jail. We have to face it. If we carry, we have to "take" a lot of verbal threats and let them slide off. There may have been a serious escalation in there that we don't know about.
    excellent post Mo....
    shooting should be our last resort....
    if not, we shouldn't be carrying....
    that being said, defend life at all costs...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Links