Vehicle ransacked. Do you need to notify responding officer?

This is a discussion on Vehicle ransacked. Do you need to notify responding officer? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Michigan is a must notify state, however the statue reads, if stopped by an officer while carrying you must notify him. Here the situation that ...

Thread: Vehicle ransacked. Do you need to notify responding officer?

Vehicle ransacked. Do you need to notify responding officer?

Michigan is a must notify state, however the statue reads, if stopped by an officer while carrying you must notify him.
    Here the situation that happened to me;
    Friday night when I came home I planned on going back out shopping so I didn't bother to pull my truck into the garage. I also didn't lock it. Well we ended up taking my daughters vehicle so when we got back home and carried in our packages I forgot to lock my truck. Went to bed without thinking about it.
    Saturday I get up to go run some errands and the truck door is open. When I look inside I see the center console lid is open too.
    Do a quick check, nothing seems to be taken. I had a cell phone charger plugged in and an empty cell phone case on the seat, both still there. A few tools in a small box behind the seat, still there.
    Obvoiusly they were looking for cash or CD's etc.
    I called the police, explained that nothing was taken but they said they would send an officer around anyways to make a report.
    A little while later a sheriff deputy shows up. Takes my name, license plate numer off the truck, and my date of birth. (Not sure why that matters.)
    I was carrying, but since he didn't ask for ID and since anyone in Michigan can carry concealed on their own property I didn't inform him.
    Not sure if that was right or not. I probably should have when he asked my name.
    Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

My opinion only: Your property...your rules. In fact, you don't need a permit to carry on your property. KEY POINT: You did not have any criminal intent against the officer. Again, IMO, no harm, no foul.

There will be folks who will probably be strict in their reading of the laws of your state and will probably tell you "Oh yes, you must inform"...and create a fantastic tale of what could have happened ...but in the end, the event is over...nothing you can do to change it.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The legal answer? Not sure. Since the LEO was acting in an official capacity by responding to your call, I think the courteous thing to do would be notify him just as if he had stopped you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would not see the need to notify the officer in this situation. There is no requirement in UT to do that. It would also distract him from the business at hand, the truck ransacking.

Had that problem here in FL where one does not have to notify, but I did out of a 'courtesy' to the officer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by futinshool View Post
    I would not see the need to notify the officer in this situation. There is no requirement in UT to do that. It would also distract him from the business at hand, the truck ransacking.
    Why do you feel it would distract him from his business? It's not like he's responding to a major crime. I think most LEOs would prefer to know if the persons they're dealing with are armed.

LEOs? Opinions?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I deal with the police a couple of times a month during the course of my job. I have notified every time I have to deal with them. They are always thanked me and then moved on with the business at hand. Even though Michigan law says I don’t have to I have not had a bad experience.
    NRA Member
    Glock 19,26
    S&W 340PD

I've wondered about this as well. When do you have to notify them?
    In the event of any and all police contact? Only when you are the subject of or involved in a call/traffic stop? When you pull up next to a parked officer to tell him about an accident/crime that you just witnessed 200ft away? When asking an officer for directions? When an officer is responding to a call next door and asks you a general question like "Do you know who's car this is?"
    I've been in all of the above situations except the "subject of call/traffic stop" in the past year but have not notified the officer in any because I was unsure of whether I had to and thought it was irrelevant info. I kind of figure if I have to give them my ID and/or are part of an investigation of any sort I will quickly notify the officer.

Quote Originally Posted by jerzsubbie View Post
    I've wondered about this as well. When do you have to notify them?
    In the event of any and all police contact? Only when you are the subject of or involved in a call/traffic stop? When you pull up next to a parked officer to tell him about an accident/crime that you just witnessed 200ft away? When asking an officer for directions? When an officer is responding to a call next door and asks you a general question like "Do you know who's car this is?"
    I've been in all of the above situations except the "subject of call/traffic stop" in the past year but have not notified the officer in any because I was unsure of whether I had to and thought it was irrelevant info. I kind of figure if I have to give them my ID and/or are part of an investigation of any sort I will quickly notify the officer.
    Arkansas law reads like this (according to handgunlaws.us)
    b) In any official contact with law enforcement, if the licensee IS in possession of a handgun, when the
    officer asks the licensee for identification (driver’s license, or personal information, such as name and date of
    birth), the licensee shall notify the officer that he or she holds a concealed handgun carry license and that he
    or she has a handgun in his or her possession.

So if the LEO didn't ask for your ID, you were probably right. The last contact I had with an officer, he didn't tell me his name (though I read his shirt) and he didn't ask for mine, so I didn't say a word about it, which sounds legal to me. I'm sure they could get nasty if they wanted to, but the officer I spoke with had a very good attitude.

I would assume you would be giving out your ID to make the report though, which would mean notifying I suppose, but on my own private property that would make me uncomfortable with the law about that. grrrr Then again, I'm always against the "must notify" rule, but at my own home, even more so.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Senior Moderator
    A little while later a sheriff deputy shows up. Takes my name, license plate numer off the truck, and my date of birth. (Not sure why that matters.)
    That is considered and "official contact" and you probably should have notified him.

Not sure if that was right or not. I probably should have when he asked my name.
    Thoughts?
    When in doubt, go with your gut feeling. It told you that you probably should have notified him, and according to state law, that would be the correct thing to do.

Now, I'm sure that I am going to tick some here off with my statements, but its the law.

If an officer is on your property and he is talking to you about an event, the fact that you are on your own property does not allow you an exception to the law, unless your state specifically provides for that exception in the law. Therefore, not telling him that you were armed would be a violation if in fact you were armed.

Then again, I'm always against the "must notify" rule, but at my own home, even more so
    It doesnt matter. Something to consider. You dont need a CHL to carry in your home. If you are carrying in your home,whether you have a CHL or not, the law says to inform. If a cop is in your house asking questions, that is an official act, or he wouldnt be there. Most cops probably wont bust your chops for it, but they could if they wanted to.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It doesnt matter. Something to consider. You dont need a CHL to carry in your home. If you are carrying in your home,whether you have a CHL or not, the law says to inform. If a cop is in your house asking questions, that is an official act, or he wouldnt be there. Most cops probably wont bust your chops for it, but they could if they wanted to.
    If you don't get a permit, you probably don't know that little gem of a law. It's not widely known among non-carrying gun owners. Just sayin.

But, the last time a cop was here at my house he didn't ask my name or ID or anything like that, so I'm not about to go shoving it up his nose for no reason. He stopped by and then went to see my offending neighbor. All we said was "he went that way" and the cop got back in his car.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Senior Moderator
    If you don't get a permit, you probably don't know that little gem of a law. It's not widely known among non-carrying gun owners. Just sayin.
    I hear ya. On the other hand, you know the statement..."ignorance of the law is no excuse".

But, the last time a cop was here at my house he didn't ask my name or ID or anything like that, so I'm not about to go shoving it up his nose for no reason. He stopped by and then went to see my offending neighbor. All we said was "he went that way" and the cop got back in his car.
    That'll work. I dont want or need someone telling me they are totin just to say something to me. I assume you are toting anyway. Where I work, you'd be suspect if you werent.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Thank you OldVet: As I read the initial thread, my first two thoughts were: 1. Would I even be thinking about my CC since I am the one who has been the victim and I am the one who called the LEO and 2. If I did think about CC why not inform? Get a little "peeved" over all the 2A/4A and whatever "A" you want to use for common sense when dealing with an LEO, who does not know you, by informing him that a firearm is in his presence and it is not his firearm.

Links