Come-as-you-are?

This is a discussion on Come-as-you-are? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The next time you think about off body carry of weapons, or you will just carry a gun/extra ammo in your coat/bag/car... Think of this... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Come-as-you-are?

Come-as-you-are?

The next time you think about off body carry of weapons, or you will just carry a gun/extra ammo in your coat/bag/car...

Think of this...

From: http://www.defense-training.com/quips/29Sept10.html

Come-as-you-are?

29 Sept 10

Important Lesson:

A friend was close to the active shooter/suicide incident at the University of Texas library in Austin, TX yesterday.

She was in her supervisor's office, several doors down from her own. They were discussing an unrelated issued when shots were heard. Seconds later, a police officer showed up at the door and announced that the building was being evacuated, immediately!

My friend had left her purse in her own office, and there was no opportunity to retrieve it.

Moment later, she found herself in the parking lot, without car-keys, call-phone, and wallet, which meant she had no cash, credit cards, transportation, nor identification. She could not drive anywhere, nor could she call anyone, even on someone's else's cell-phone, as she didn't have important phone numbers memorized!

She lived through it, but she had several long, helpless moments, and she told me that she would never again allow herself to be separated from important items.

Preparedness is always personal!

Emergencies tend to be come-as-you-are affairs, and there is seldom time, nor opportunity, to "get ready."

You're ready or you're not. Either way, nobody cares

...except you!

/John

It will be cold comfort to find that your 'bag of death & blowout kit' was under your desk across the hall when look at your empty gun and try to keep pressure on your friend's femoral after the nut-job decided your workplace had to be cleansed of the capitalist pigs ruining this country.

Happy thoughts.

That is all.

2. Remove Ads

How true it is.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The domestic general does this at times when we leave the house for short trips...she knows that I dislike this...we have discussed it, but she is her own person.
    I don't even go out in the back yard without ID and a weapon, and if I have a weapon, I want my phone nearby.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good food for thought.

About 10 years ago the building next to my place of work received a bomb threat. We were immediately evacuated and I was the only one that had my car keys in my pocket, as everyone else had them in purses or backpacks, etc. I was the one driving everyone home that day because we were not getting back in the building that day.

Lesson learned, so to this day there are certain items that are always on me (car keys, mobile phone, etc). Items in my bag or coat pockets are the ones that can be left behind.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Great Lesson!

This is why I favor communication devices, knives, guns, and other life saving tools to be carried on my person.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Great Lesson!
    This is why I favor communication devices, knives, guns, and other life saving tools to be carried on my person.

Biker

Again from MitchellCT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Definitely a gourmet banquet for thought.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Rule#----------Never go anywhere without a------------

Cool

When I graduated from my first police academy in 1968 I was as gung-ho as any 21 year old cop could be. My off duty carry was a S&W 36 and a couple of quarters for phone calls and twenty dollars or so in cash (maybe less). Now before I leave the house I put on a G-23 a .380 BUG, a combat folding knife, a ASP Street Defender pepper spray and a cell phone. I have a wallet with credit cards and no less than a couple hundred dollars in cash just in case. The equipment in my POV trunk mirrors my patrol vehicle's. Sometimes I feel that this may not be enough if the feces hits the overhead occilator. Welcome to 2010 kids.
    Last edited by Old School; November 26th, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not to belittle women, but until they tell the fashion industry to pork itself and realize pockets were invented for a reason and that you don't need to carry half the household possessions out the door with you, they're stuck with this issue. No one needs all those "buy-ten-get-one-free" cards and "buyer loyalty" tags dangling from a simple keyring. That way it fits into a pocket ... oh, wait, no pockets--not "fashionable."

As for the inherent cell phone downfalls, my daughter refuses to enter family and friends' numbers into her cell. She makes al those calls from memory. (Amazing, huh? How did we every manage before?) Why does she do that? One, no one can steal her memorized numbers if they steal her phone; two, if she needs to make an emergency call on another phone (due to failure or dead battery), she still knows the numbers. How many of today's techno-gaget wizards can do that?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Lead Moderator
    This is a big disadvantage that a lot of women have just due to the norms on female clothing. For most work/business dress there are no pockets and no belt that will support a good sized (smart) cell phone let alone a firearm.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I took my friend Amanda out shopping for a concealable gun today. I couldn't believe it when the store clerk suggested she get a holster purse.

I had already advised her that she needed a holster on her body because if her purse gets grabbed then there goes her gun as well. Amanda hasn't picked out the gun she wants yet but she does go for her carry course next saturday and she does agree 100% with on body carry.

VIP Member
    Good thread. Lest we get lazy...
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Not to belittle women, but until they tell the fashion industry to pork itself and realize pockets were invented for a reason and that you don't need to carry half the household possessions out the door with you, they're stuck with this issue. No one needs all those "buy-ten-get-one-free" cards and "buyer loyalty" tags dangling from a simple keyring. That way it fits into a pocket ... oh, wait, no pockets--not "fashionable."

As for the inherent cell phone downfalls, my daughter refuses to enter family and friends' numbers into her cell. She makes al those calls from memory. (Amazing, huh? How did we every manage before?) Why does she do that? One, no one can steal her memorized numbers if they steal her phone; two, if she needs to make an emergency call on another phone (due to failure or dead battery), she still knows the numbers. How many of today's techno-gaget wizards can do that?
    Dam whish i chould remember a 100 odd numbers

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    When I was a valet, I had to handle some keychains that were almost the size of my face with all the little cards, doo-dads, fluffy things, and other assorted crap that was on there. It was so heavy that I was surprised it didn't mess up the ignition cylinder already. If that's just their keychain, I wonder how big of a purse they need to fit all the other needless crap they certainly carry around with them needs to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links