Good behavior at an ATM

Good behavior at an ATM

This is a discussion on Good behavior at an ATM within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter worked Thanksgiving afternoon. I picked her up after work at 5:30pm. She said she wanted to use the ATM at the Credit Union ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good behavior at an ATM

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Good behavior at an ATM

My daughter worked Thanksgiving afternoon. I picked her up after work at 5:30pm. She said she wanted to use the ATM at the Credit Union before we went home.

The Credit Union is located in a strip mall. The ATM located just outside is basically in the middle of the row of businesses which were all closed because of the holiday. The mall was well lit. Tactically, there is really no place for a BG to hide in ambush. He would have to run up and it would be obvious.

As she was getting out of the car, another car came speeding up and parked nearby. She was already at the ATM doing her transaction. I was in my car. I did not park my car head in, but rather parallel to the curb so my headlights were shining directly at the other car’s driver’s door. A scruffy looking guy got out of the vehicle. He politely waited at the curb, about 20 feet back from the ATM and my daughter. I kept one eye on him as I monitored my daughter. She finished her transaction, got back in the car and then the guy proceeded to the ATM.

I am not sure if he held his distance because he knew I was there or if he was just being a polite person, keeping his distance out of respect that a total stranger near someone doing an ATM transaction would make that person nervous. I would like to think it was the latter. All went well, and we drove away without incident.

Unfortunately my daughter was oblivious, but her dad had her 6. Ugh, one day….
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Good for you, Dad. Someone had her back.

I couldn't begin to fathom why he stayed so far back from the ATM and your daughter, but I am inclined to think it was due to knowing that he was being observed by you, and that he didn't want to give even the appearance of wrong doing.

I try to plan things so that if I have to use an ATM it's either inside a bank or inside a grocery store. Our local version of the Piggly Wiggly has a bank and an ATM inside the store itself. That tends to be a better, safer, location than an ATM outside of a stand alone bank. I'll go out of my way to avoid having to use an ATM outside of a bank.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    If I pull up to an ATM and someone else is using it...I'll do the same thing. I wait some 15-20 feet until the person finishes their business then I approach the ATM as they walk away. I don't like for anyone to crowd my "space", so I show the same respect.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    He was probably as concerned about you as you were about him. It's probably not the first time a BG and accomplice completed a fake transaction then robbed the next guy to come along. Just sayin....

Who knows, just keep up your SA.

Personally, on the few occasions I have needed an outdoor ATM that was being used by someone else, I stayed well away till they finished.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Who knows, just keep up your SA.

Personally, on the few occasions I have needed an outdoor ATM that was being used by someone else, I stayed well away till they finished.
    +1 You just never know what others are thinking.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I try not to make the person that is doing a transaction nervous while I wait.

I do exit my vehicle and lean against the door just to let them know that I am there, waiting, and freindly.
    Heck I'm backup.

Where I normally get my cash is a fairly dangerouse area, but it is a busy street with plenty of exit options.

I have had a panhandler ask my for a buck just as I was finishing my transaction.......I let him know it was not a cool thing to do.

I do not understand why people use ATM's, why not go into a bank...plan ahead, dirtbags do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I do not understand why people use ATM's, why not go into a bank....
    For the same reason I only use pay at the pump when getting fuel...I hate dealing with people unless I have too....

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    It's proper etiquette to stand a respectable distance away while someone is completing their transaction. Good for you in looking out for your daughter. We all need to keep in mind though that scruffy does not always equate to bad.

Probably just a shy polite guy.

Since your daughter was oblivious might be time for the talk ? To many BG's out there not to be checking your surroundings at the atm at night. Glad it turned out ok
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Glad it was a non-event but I would mention it to your daughter to possibly keep her more aware next time!

I often use an outdoor stand-alone ATM. It's right up the street from my house, in a nice shopping center (Trader Joe's, small running shop, pharmacy, insurance company office), and I frequently notice a guy in a car nearby the ATM, different guys. They look a little shady but I've never had anyone approach me nor have I heard of any robberies occurring there. Regardless, I always keep that car in my view, constantly looking around while at the ATM, am sure to lock my truck, try to only go during daytlight, always stand back a fair distance while waiting for others to finish, and of course always carrying.
    IMO, while using ATMs we are at one of the vulnerable states because most people are so focused on that little screen and getting their money that they are completely oblivious to what/who is around them.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I appreciate the advice guys, but MY daughter aware?

NOT that I haven't lead this horse to water. I have given her the basics of shooting. (Cost me two trips to the mall as a condition of her going to the gun range, but well worth the price.) I made her take a woman's awareness/self defense class as a pre-condition to going to college and a few other things. She thinks I am paranoid. (Heck, I carry a gun.) I prefer to call it situationally aware. She is the sheep the shepherd needs to keep an eye on as this scenario fully illustrates. I await the day SHE comes to me and asks to be taken to the range. Until then, I got her 6 when I can.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links