Shots Fired - Page 2

Shots Fired

This is a discussion on Shots Fired within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Personally, hitting the ground and having the gun at low ready..... was the smart thing to do. You don't know if they might come back, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shots Fired

Personally, hitting the ground and having the gun at low ready..... was the smart thing to do. You don't know if they might come back, stop, or what.... you were ready if they did.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Dale531 View Post
    Ok i Have a Question,
    The Night Before ThanksGiving me and my Girl Friend were out in our apartment complex walking our Dog In Texas City when a DarkBlue truck was driving on the feeder road about 30' Away from the sidewalk we were walking our dog On and then the passenger Fired about six shots out his window and my GirlFriend saw the muzzel flash as soon as we heard the shots we hit the ground and then the passenger in the truck fried about2 or 3 more shots while traveling down the road My GirlFriend called 911 and reported the incident but MY question is...i pulled my handgun out (low ready) was that a smart thing for me to Do in a situation such as that? i was the only 1 Carrying at the time ( my G/f Usually carries but she hurt her back at work and the weight of her Weapon is Un comfortable on her back ) at first we thought it was a truck backfiring but when my g/f said she saw the muzze flash on the passenger side of the truck that's when we knew it WASN'T a truck backfiring
    In Texas City!? Really? I can understand League City or Galveston, but the fact that this happened in Texas City surprises me a bit. Well, I guess it can happen anywhere.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Use the girlfriend for cover. You can always get another.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Sounds like you did good,just please dont rush next time and fix your sentence structure.Some spacing and punctuation would help.
    Pot, meet Kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Use the girlfriend for cover. You can always get another.
    Speak for yourself, I just don't want mine to go to an optometrist

Back on topic. . . I think OP probably reacted about exactly like I would have. Did you ever figure out what was going on?
    Last edited by livewire; December 22nd, 2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: quoted wrong poster O_o

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    This thread and the one entitled "shots fired" really make me thank my lucky stars for the 69 years that I have lived without any incidents. It just seems like it never ends with forum members who somehow have been directly or indirectly involved in some sort of confrontation or dangerous situation or defensive action. Maybe that is the necessary precursor to this whole forum but I have never had an inkling of an occasion to be anywhere near anything that even resembled the "actuals" and "what ifs" that appear in these threads. I surely hope I am not alone as the only "virgin" among the wolves and predators out there.
    Virgin here, too. As I read these posts I seem to get an inkling of a common theme - lifestyle. No one has EVER pulled up near me and started firing a handgun from a car window. I have never had the need to clear leather with my sidearm. I don't have non-alcohol "Christian" parties where drunks show up and start kicking my ass. I have never decided to pull my gun to confront a street entreprenuer. I have never had a shouting match with my neighbor, and I have never needed to yank out a gun to settle a dispute.

Your lifestyle choices have more impact on your personal safety than carrying around a gun. [MadMac's standard caveat: I am NOT saying you don't need to carry or shouldn't carry.] Remember: your life is the sum of the choices you make.

A gun is only a tool of last resort. I see people here itching to use them to scare off bums, protect property, or to end an argument. That's NOT what they are for. Even if my actions can be considered "legal", my personal moral code is to use it ONLY in defense of my life or my family members' lives. ...but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    Duck, Cover, Draw. You did good.
    +1

10 characters
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Your lifestyle choices have more impact on your personal safety than carrying around a gun. [MadMac's standard caveat: I am NOT saying you don't need to carry or shouldn't carry.] Remember: your life is the sum of the choices you make.
    I'm really really not trying to insult you when I say this, but I think that's very niave view of reality. Having worked in the system and mostly violent crimes, someone's lifestyle has little to do with whether they end up a victim or dead. I've seen too many , and outside of gang bangers, that's just not an accurate statement at all.

So, it was the lifestyle of the 2 young girls who were walking to the other girls house that were shot and killed on a road near their home in Okla? It was the woman, husband, and 2 daughters "lifestyle" and choices that 2 scumbags decided to do a home invasion, to rape them, and light them on fire ? Should we go on. ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'm really really not trying to insult you when I say this, but I think that's very niave view of reality. Having worked in the system and mostly violent crimes, someone's lifestyle has little to do with whether they end up a victim or dead. I've seen too many , and outside of gang bangers, that's just not an accurate statement at all.

So, it was the lifestyle of the 2 young girls who were walking to the other girls house that were shot and killed on a road near their home in Okla? It was the woman, husband, and 2 daughters "lifestyle" and choices that 2 scumbags decided to do a home invasion, to rape them, and light them on fire ? Should we go on. ?

Insult me? Hardly. We're here to discuss this topic.

There are always exceptions that prove the rule. That home invasion was years ago, and is still in the news simply because of its rarity. For every one of these stories, I could point out 100 or 1000 "lifestyle" choices that ended up in death.

Naive is running around 24/7 with a gun in your house in East Mooseknuckle, Arkansas pointing to these very rare events

While lifestyle choices can, and frequently do, lead to exposure to violence; it would be ignorant to assume that all violence is a result of lifestyle choices. Really, you're both arguing points that are not contradictory.

I agree with MadMac that a lot of people posting stories of things that happen to them are a direct result of choices they've made. The stuff that makes the news, OTOH, is consistent with Eagleks's view. Your average rape victim, or home invasion victim, or mugging victim did NOT make a lifestyle choice that got them there. I would imagine it does happen though.

I think that in spite of the warnings against it by gun classes, wisdom in these forums, and even information from the gun shop, people that buy guns often go through a phase of feeling invincible when they carry and often go to places at times that they wouldn't go otherwise. Maybe before they carried, they wouldn't walk through that parking lot, or down that street, or drive through that neighborhood. After they started carrying, they didn't worry about it and maybe they should have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links