Being deaf, where to store home defense gun or CCW?

This is a discussion on Being deaf, where to store home defense gun or CCW? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've often wondered where is a good place to have your CCW (or any other defensive weapon) while you're asleep. I've had two incidences in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being deaf, where to store home defense gun or CCW?

Being deaf, where to store home defense gun or CCW?

I've often wondered where is a good place to have your CCW (or any other defensive weapon) while you're asleep. I've had two incidences in which both made me question where to store my handgun. Being I'm deaf, I want my pistol under my pillow or under the pillow next to me (I sleep alone), however, that seems extremely dangerous and I've heard of people accidently shooting themselves while sleeping or trying to wake up. It would be safer to put my CCW on the nightstand next to my bed, but as you read both stories, you'll realize my hesitation.

Story 1) in the middle of the night once, I had just fallen asleep. I saw a flashlight on me. Now, being deaf, I am extremely sensitive to light. This bright flashlight woke me up in a confused panic. I didn't carry at the time, so I knew my gun was not with me. Turns out, the flashlight was a police officer who had to kick the door in because he was banging on the door responding to an emergency. He knocked and yelled for 20 minutes and no one answered (me and Misty are deaf), so he kicked it in. Apparently, he had the wrong place. Now, if I had my gun in this situation, he surely would have shot me out of fear for his life, or I would have shot a totally innocent police officer who just had the wrong home.

Story 2) This happened recently. I stayed at a friend's house to visit Misty in Galveston because the landlord doesn't want me back on the apartment property. The room I stayed in had the back door to the house, but it was still a room. At 2:30 in the morning, my back door opens and two people walk in. Again, the light wakes me up. Its dim, but it wakes me up. I see this figure that I don't recognize, so I grab my CCW under the pillow next to mine, slide it under the sheet, flick off the safety, and point it towards those people, all the while trying to be very still and pretend like I'm still sleeping. Turns out they were friends of the homeowner and just walked through my room to go to another room.

Its obvious I will not be able to hear someone break in. The only time I'll notice someone break in is when he's right there, right on me. In this situation, where should my gun be? I've thought about it for months and I still can't come up with a good set-up.

Any suggestions or opinions?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

2. Remove Ads

First, about your place: Why don't you put a small inconspicuous sign on or next to your front door (that nobody would notice unless standing at the door) indicating that you are deaf. That way cops would then have a way to know why you don't answer the door. Of course a BG would also know that you would not hear him kick the door in. Don't you have lights wired to your doorbell? Or do you have doorbell? Then again, I realize that not everyone rings a doorbell even when there is one present. Just some thoughts.

As for the friends place: Maybe you should ask him if you should expect anyone coming into the room or passing through the room you stay in. Kinda a tough call on that one.

Now, as for where to keep your gun. How about the night stand. When the cop came in and shined the light on you, it wouldn't have mattered if the gun was on the night stand or in the bed under the pillow, would it? The "safer" place would be on the night stand so you don't shoot yourself or "through the wall" when you reach under a pillow to grab a gun in the middle of the night when startled out of a sleep.

Seems like you need some type of warning system, that will kick a light on "prior" to someone entering your room. How about a motion sensor wired to a light in your room.

Just some of my thoughts. Maybe someone else can come up with some better ideas.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I would say on the nightstand or one of those bed holsters because you may need that extra bit of time to wake up fully and decide if you need to shoot.
    You dont get to CCW in jail and a sleepy trigger finger could get you in trouble.

It would be nice it you had a motion sensor rigged to a light source (sensor in your living room / light in your bed room) - that could give you back a few fractions of a second.....I would imagine you have already thought of that and ruled it out for one reason or another..........

just my 2 cents

These are good ideas, and I have thought of them, its just the cost to add that extra security. Someone on another forum suggested a bed holster, too. That's something I hadn't thought of. I like that idea.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Maybe a sound sensor rather than a motion sensor to turn the lights on?

Crossbreed makes a mattress holster that I've been eyeing...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

As to the first situation, is your doorbell now connected to lights inside? For the second, your host should have made arrangements for any late comers to enter via the front door since you were a guest and staying in the room connected to the back door. Maybe a good can of OC spray would be a good interim deterrent which would buy you some time if you were startled. Easier to regain their composure after being sprayed rather than shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Maybe a sound sensor rather than a motion sensor to turn the lights on?
    Oh, my God... I had one of those. I hated it so much, I actually took the darn thing outside and shot it. It picked up every single sound that nature and a house makes, much less noise from neighboring homes or rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    I actually took the darn thing outside and shot it.
    Well worth the purchase price then. I might pick one up myself.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

My Mom couldn't hear the alarm clock so we got one that had a shaker/vibrator device that connected to the clock. Alarm would go off and the vibrator/shaker would send shock waves through the pillow/mattress. Maybe you could find something like this to hook up to the doorbell or a door open switch.

Yeah, they do make doorbells that flash a lamp. Same thing for a phone (I use a video phone). However, the doorbell thing is the same issue as the strobe light for security... cost. :(

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Yeah, they do make doorbells that flash a lamp. Same thing for a phone (I use a video phone). However, the doorbell thing is the same issue as the strobe light for security... cost. :(
    What kind of costs have you been quoted? Do you have access to your doorbell chimes?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not keen on "under the pillow" as the gun can easily be dislodged/ moved, and may not be there when you reach for it. Same for setting a gun on the bedstand. One groggy grope and over the backside it goes. One of those "mattress" holsters would be a better setup.

Can't help you much with NO.2, but you should notify your local PD that you and company are deaf and may not respond in a timely manor. An option for that situation is to install a coded door lock and give the code to the PD--if you trust them. I think the sign on the door may make you a target to someone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Here is what I would think would help. Get you one of those mattress holster things (sorry, this is what you get when I post before coffee). With the mattress holster you know where it will be and can practice rolling over to grab it (muscle memory).

For the waking part, assuming you don't have pets, you could get some motion sensors connected to a bedside lamp. When the beam is broken your lamp turns on. It would be kind of like the old school room flashers I grew up with (deaf Sister).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

First I would install motion activated light switches in the hallways and living room and you bedroom, like in public restrooms in some places. Motion past the switch turns on the lights. Then I think one of these would be great for you.

http://crossbreedholsters.com/Holste...%2cProductName
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sorry, this solution involves money. I put the
    Leviton motion light switch in place of my hallway light switch and leave my bedroom door open a foot. If someone walks in the room the dim light will enable me to see them.

The
    bed holster puts the gun between the mattress and the headboard (or wall) by the corner of the bed. I prefer having the bracket upside down so I bought the bracket and holster separate from the same website so I could have the L bracket angle upwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links