Someone was ON my porch last night!

This is a discussion on Someone was ON my porch last night! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It was about 5:45 PM and had been pitch black for about 45 minutes. I had taken my weapon off after getting home and was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone was ON my porch last night!

Someone was ON my porch last night!

It was about 5:45 PM and had been pitch black for about 45 minutes. I had taken my weapon off after getting home and was relaxing in front of the TV. Suddenly my three dogs jumped up, running out to the back room, all going absolutely ballistic. This wasn't something that goes bump in the night, there was someone or something outside on my back porch and they knew it! I moved into the kitchen and could see movement through the windows, but could not make out the figure standing there. My guns were in another room, but the figure could easily see me standing there because my inside lights were on. So I approached the door cautiously and flipped on the outside light. It was my neighbor, who happens to be a cop, asking me if I could help him with something today. We chatted for 30 minutes and the event ended peacefully.

OK, more than a little tongue in cheek, but the lesson learned is I have got to get a motion light on my porch. Nothing major, I live in the country and don't need to be lighting up the area light Charlton Heston in Omega Man, but I never realized how exposed I am answering the back door at night and how hidden anyone on the porch is. I just don't get visitors at night, or when it's dark anyway. Not unless it's my other neighbor and he always rides his for wheeler over, so I know it's him and meet him so I can let my dogs know it's OK.
    And this is why some of you always carry, even when home. Then you are never unarmed under any circumstance, but I had made the decision that I would have looked pretty foolish ignoring the barking dogs while I walked through into the other room to arm myself before seeing who it was. I made a judgement call and figured anyone "dubious" would have bolted off the porch when he saw three 85 lb+ dogs throwing themselves at the windows and door. And I am glad I made that decision. Still, I need to get that porch lit up and keep a weapon closeby.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    These are good lessons.

I have a neighbor (extremely nice person) that insists on just showing up at our front door and not calling first. The front doors are mottled glass, so peephole isn't an option. I've dropped hints like making sure that she has our phone number, but she is clearly set in her ways.

She keeps me on my toes.

Always carry... especially at home. Home invaders aren't going to give you a chance to get to the other room. Of course, as you said, three 85lb dogs snarling at an intruder might buy you some time! I've only got one 100lb dog.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

3D
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    . . . . the lesson learned is I have got to get a motion light on my porch. .
    Totally agree with that conclusion.

Added Note of similar experience: Two nights ago, at about the same time of day, (= pitch black dark here in rural area) my front porch light came on as someone unknown to me rang the front door bell repeatedly and simultaneously tapped on the door's side-lite glass.

Wife and I glanced at eachother with "who the h*ll is that?" looks as I approached from an angle that let me see who it might be.___Total stranger!___
    As I looked at him, carefully studying his features, I saw his eyes go to my right hip with its holstered gun. He then waved and left the porch hastily.

I relate the story to reinforce your points.
    [1] The porch light ALREADY ON allowed me to see him clearly.
    [2] being armed before I approached the door seems to have affected his intentions.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

RGC
    I replaced the bulbs in my outside lights with compact florescent ones that draw a very small amount of power and they are on a timer or photo-eyes so they are always on when it's dark. It doesn't look like Omega man at my house, but the with the outside lights I have it is well lite so there is no place to "hide" in the dark near the house.

I've been checking out motion sensor lights that plug into an outlet this morning. Home Depot has quite a few, but I'll hit up the local hardware store first and see what they have. I don't really need the light to come on everytime I let the dogs out or step outside to do something, but I guess I have no other choice. Small trade-off to see who is on my porch and I'll get used to it.

Motion lights are your friend. I have them on both entry doors. For entry doors you can get some really nice looking ones, not the security ones. No one will know they are motion lights until they come on.

We have something like this in brass. Works great.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_332916-85538...ght%26page%3D2
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Harbor freight had driveway alarms on sale for like 12.00,they detect heat source and set off an alarm,giving you time to arm up and scare the bezeesus outta the UPS guy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just picked up a light duty motion light at the town hardware store. It's smaller than the ones I have around my business and will serve the porch well. Two 50w floods I believe. One aimed down the legth of my porch and one at my grill I'll replace my existing porch light with it. If I want to step outside without tripping it, I'll just flip the switch off.

And heck no I don't want to scare the UPS guy! lol
    He brings me a lot of my toys!

All I'm going to say is once you figure out the prowler outside is not a friendly person and you are not armed, you are now operating way behind the curve. You have now put your life in the hands of fate instead of your own control.

And you know full well that living in the country, you'll be operating on your own, without back-up for the duration. The police, even if you get an opportunity to call, simply are not going to be there in time to do much of anything except clean up the aftermath. You know this! We all know this!

Sure, a lot of uncommitted prowlers looking for an easy opportunity to pilfer some trinkets are going to flee as soon as they are spotted. Maybe most of them will. But not all of them will. It's the committed, hardened criminal who has no regard for human life or suffering... the one who's already done 5 or 10 years in prison who is going to be a problem for you. And not just a small problem either. They could very well be a fatal problem for you. One thing they know, when prowling around remote country residences is that time is on their side, not yours. They know full well, it's going to take 30 - 40 minutes, maybe longer for any police to realistically show up. And that's if you have even had the opportunity to call them. The sly and cagey ones, also know that most people who live in the country don't call the police at every bump in the night. So they stand a good chance of striking before you can call for help. Mas Ayoob has interviewed several hardened criminals in prison who are not intimidated by large dogs in the least. Sure, we think most people are going to flee when they encounter a large scary dog. And most non committed criminals probably do. But not all of them.

We all see on TV and read in the news of entire families slaughtered in their homes when serious bad guys come calling. It happens quite frequently in rural country settings as well. We've seen on the pages of this forum, stories where farm families have been slain in their homes Indiana, Iowa, and other locations in the last year.

Now what are the odds of you and your family being the target of such a tragic story? Slim! Very slim, indeed. But it's not nonexistent. There are dead families at the focus of all those sad news stories we see and read about, and they all were just regular people doing the things every other family does before they were killed.

As you already stated, you need a couple motion lights. Yep, and for $50 you can get solar charged, motion sensor flood lights that doesn't cost a dime of electricity. Small price to pay for security illumination I would think. I have them on my home.

The other thing I would say is just how much critical time are you going to lose by going to another room to get your gun before you check out what's going on outside? Do you really think it takes too much time to go get a gun? I mean, they are still on the outside of your house, are they not? The bottom line is, if you're not going to wear your gun while you're inside the house, at least take the time to go get the friggon gun before you go check things out. You saw a dark shadowy person standing outside your back deck, and he saw you too. What would you have done if he and a partner came crashing through the window as soon as you both saw each other? By then, the fights on and you may never get the opportunity to get to that gun.

For me and my wife, a gun is always either on our person or within arms reach, even when we are inside the home. Sometimes it may only be a .380 Ruger LCP in our pocket, but some type of handgun is always instantly accessible. Usually it's a more potent gun like a 9mm or .40 cal. but we don't have to go running through the house while at the same time trying to beat back an attack to try and get a gun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    We have motion detector activated exterior lights, but you raised a more practical issue. You stated that your "visitor" could see you because of the lights on in the house but you could not see him.

Good window coverings, blinds, shutters. You don't want someone to be able to look in and see you either coming to the door armed, or going to another room to grab one. You don't want to be a lit up target in your own living room.

Well the motion light is up and the M&P 40 has been relocated to the living room.

Points well taken, Bark'n.
    And good points about the windows Hopyard. No, I don't want someone to see me getting myself armed, least of all a neighbor and least-least of all, one who's a cop. It just doesn't look neighborly. The rest of the house has the curtains closed, but I always leave them open on the porch, which faces the woods, the chicken coop, my toy box and my business. I like to glance outside and check things out when I'm passing through. See if any of my other motion lights have been triggered or something is out of place. With the motion light on the porch now I'll be able to see anyone on the porch and at least even the playing field as far as vision is concerned. I guess I'm too lazy to want to drag back a curtain to look out back.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Consider storing your gun at home in the room you are in, or perhaps multiple weapons located strategically throughout the house. Even if you want them relatively secure, a Gun Vault or similar under a coffe table or in a kitchen drawer could prevent you from having to go to the other room to arm yourself before answering the door.
    Walk softly ...

All good posts. Our yard is fenced, and the 85 pound dog has access to all points of entry. Motion lights have been up for years, and we can see both doors without being seen. I also bought a couple of game-cams for the doors. Not real expensive, and if something triggers the motion lights and is gone when I get there, I still get to see who/what it was. Makes it tough for a neighbor down the street to say "not my dog".

The dog will simply raise hell if we're home, but if we're not, yer on yer own. Just sayin'
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I went through three motion detectors in less than two years before I figured out the FL sun was cooking them. Gave up on that aspect.

Last night the doorbell rings. Never heard the screen door open. Peek thru the doorglass shows a kid in local youth football jersey with helmet in hand, another canvassing the opposite side of the street. I figure I can take junior two outta three, so I open the door. The team won the state championship and is trying to raise money to go to the Nationals. Okay, good enough for $5. I remember doing the same fund-rainsing drills when I was in Pop Warner.

If everyone refused to open the door to strangers, would these kids ever get to play at the national championship level?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links