wife pulled out the .45 last night....

This is a discussion on wife pulled out the .45 last night.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Brass63 Pastors/counselors often find themselves in the middle of family maelstroms. It's not a good or safe place to be. Glad you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wife pulled out the .45 last night....

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    Pastors/counselors often find themselves in the middle of family maelstroms.
    It's not a good or safe place to be.
    Glad you took appropriate precautions.
    Better safe than sorry.

Absolutely! In my younger days I said some pretty abrasive things to some not real happy families. Sometimes you have to stir the pot a bit. But I was always a bit extra careful until things calmed back down. Hope things calm down quick for the OP.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    It truly amazes me where some of you forum members live and what goes on in your lives and I guess I should thank the big guy up above, but in 69 years, most of it in NY/NJ where peace and harmony is a bit of an oxymoron, my wife and I have NEVER experienced anything that remotely resembles a need in any, way, shape or form to even think about owning or using any kind of firearm. Thread after thread seems to have some kind of very difficult scenario that is not just a "what if" but is a real fact of life. I wish all of you a healthy and happy holiday and new year that does not cause you to have to write anything "real life" so you can, instead, discuss the "what ifs".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Like the Boy Scouts. BE PREPARED

I'd rather go an extra length and be prepared for the unexpected than not plan and be twiddling my thumbs hoping for the best.
    +1 Have a plan. If you don't have a plan, plan to fail.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Don't relax too soon.
    Yep, continue to be aware... "situations' like that don't get resolved over night.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    It truly amazes me where some of you forum members live and what goes on in your lives and I guess I should thank the big guy up above, but in 69 years, most of it in NY/NJ where peace and harmony is a bit of an oxymoron, my wife and I have NEVER experienced anything that remotely resembles a need in any, way, shape or form to even think about owning or using any kind of firearm. Thread after thread seems to have some kind of very difficult scenario that is not just a "what if" but is a real fact of life. I wish all of you a healthy and happy holiday and new year that does not cause you to have to write anything "real life" so you can, instead, discuss the "what ifs".
    Same here, Kel. I have seen some families who simply can't wait to get involved in other people's troubles. It must be that life is so dull for them, they feel the need to weigh in with others and create problems for themselves. My wife's family has a few members that fall into that category. We walk away from other people's issues, and don't go around trying to solve other peoples' problems. Life is muh simpler - and shall I say safer - that way.

wife pulled out the .45 last night....
    Good for her!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    MadMac
    Same here, Kel. I have seen some families who simply can't wait to get involved in other people's troubles. It must be that life is so dull for them, they feel the need to weigh in with others and create problems for themselves. My wife's family has a few members that fall into that category. We walk away from other people's issues, and don't go around trying to solve other peoples' problems. Life is muh simpler - and shall I say safer - that way.
    I wish life were always that simple. Some folks repair cars, some repair washing machines, others repair pipes, while still others repair airplanes and rockets. Some of us help repair lives and marriages. It is a sacred Calling and worthwhile work--but while it is Sacred work, it is sometimes work that leaves you scared...
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Chaplain Scott,
    I admire you dedication and commitment to something you believe in. Criticism is like gold, it should be given out sparingly, which eludes some.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Thank you....
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Chaplain Scott,
    I admire you dedication and commitment to something you believe in. Criticism is like gold, it should be given out sparingly, which eludes some.
    Nice, I like that. Yeah, too many people bailing on marriages these days. Sometimes a 3rd party can see what the real issues are, pointing them out gets tricky though. Good for you Scott. That's a tough part of the job. I went through it with some friends of mine 2 yrs ago. The papers were drawn up and agreed upon, and nearly signed, before one of them decided it was not nearly as good of an idea as it once was. I know I said some things that I worried might end a friendship in order to help. Not only did God see them through it, they came out the other side believers.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

[QUOTEI know I said some things that I worried might end a friendship in order to help. Not only did God see them through it, they came out the other side believers.][/QUOTE]

A good friend says what NEEDS to be said, not always the same as what we want to hear. "Speaking the truth in love...."
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    my wife and I have NEVER experienced anything that remotely resembles a need in any, way, shape or form to even think about owning or using any kind of firearm.
    Great, if it works for you.

About half my kin have prison records, so I was raised in a scofflaw family, and around scofflaws. I was raised to think of the law as "the enemy" and "the oppressor". I somehow missed being pulled into violent crime or the more serious non-violent offenses, but "He has something I want, therefore what he has is mine and he is the enemy because he has not given it to me" is an attitude I know very well. I moved away and learned better, eventually, but you are very lucky to not draw the attention of people like my kinfolk. They really like peaceful people like you. You are so much easier to rob.

I've had to pull a gun more than once, and the usual result is "the other guy" suddenly remembering an appointment elsewhere. Never had to shoot, probably because I was ready to shoot. I've had trouble all around me, and miss the trouble, and I suspect it's because I try to stay out of other people's lives and I'm known to carry. Others who have tried to stay out of other people's lives have ended up with problems in theirs, probably because they are the sort of people who do not carry. Luck of the draw also plays a big role, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    I've had to pull a gun more than once, and the usual result is "the other guy" suddenly remembering an appointment elsewhere. Never had to shoot, probably because I was ready to shoot. I've had trouble all around me, and miss the trouble, and I suspect it's because I try to stay out of other people's lives and I'm known to carry. Others who have tried to stay out of other people's lives have ended up with problems in theirs, probably because they are the sort of people who do not carry. Luck of the draw also plays a big role, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    [QUOTEI know I said some things that I worried might end a friendship in order to help. Not only did God see them through it, they came out the other side believers.]
    A good friend says what NEEDS to be said, not always the same as what we want to hear. "Speaking the truth in love...."[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Knowing that does not make it any easier to do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I wish life were always that simple. Some folks repair cars, some repair washing machines, others repair pipes, while still others repair airplanes and rockets. Some of us help repair lives and marriages. It is a sacred Calling and worthwhile work--but while it is Sacred work, it is sometimes work that leaves you scared...
    I hear you loud and clear. This too has been my life for over 30 years, the only thing I can successfully make is "reservations." Repair work is done at the dealership but what my wife and I both do it repair lives and marriages. I am not the typical shrink because I do carry pretty much most of the time - not for those I help but for those that do not like me helping. I get threats a "few" times a month but have not had to pull since Nam - Bless you Chaplain Scott, we need more in the battle and it is a honor knowing that you are there and hearing your story.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links