Atm?

Atm?

This is a discussion on Atm? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking at the atm today while I was pulling some cash out - what if someone comes up behind you and says "give ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atm?

Atm?

I was thinking at the atm today while I was pulling some cash out - what if someone comes up behind you and says "give me all your money"? Nothing about having a weapon, but you dont know for sure wether or not he has one. What do you do? I wouldnt want to just turn around and shoot and have it turn out that the guy is unarmed. And if he is armed when you turn around he would already have the advantage of having the gun or knife drawn on you.

ATMs are dangerous places to be sure. Real answer is when you go there, enter in florescent orange state of alert. Never let happen what you have described. All ATMs I have seen a so small that to get walked up on w/ you back turned is impossible for the above state of awareness.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

VIP Member
    The only ATM I've used in the last 15 years is a drive-up. Knew a guy when I was in the Army, he was Airborne/Ranger, and he turned around and popped the guy in the face. The would be mugger dropped his gun and fled. Not the course of action I believe I would take. My course of action is no ATMs. I don't even have an ATM card for my primary bank.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    ATM are dangerous. I use a drive up with my weapon on the passenger front seat. I still keep an eye open of my surroundings.

Drive up or in-store only. I will never use a walk-up atm that is outdoors.

Lead Moderator
    Don't like them, never used one, and hope to keep it that way! The outside ones especially make you easy pickin's.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I only use the drive up and my head is swiveling like an owl while I'm waiting for my transaction to be finished. I also never put the car in park. It remains in drive in case I need to bust a$$ out of there.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    As with any public place, Vigilance and constant awareness is in order....
    performing scans as much as possible and having an "escape" route is imperative in situations such as these...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Drive-up atm's are the first choice, ones in stores are always good and if I use one a walk-up atm it always one that you have to card into the little looby area so you will know if someone comes up to you and you can look out before leaving. If you have to use the walk-up do it with company.

Not exactly in the same catagory but the Drive up I had previously used a lot had a brail overlay on the keys. They have since added a place to plug in one of those hearing impaired headphone devices (TYY?). There is also a sign that says "No walk ups". Which is weird because if a blind person were to walk up to read, it would be too late.

As others have said, I use a drive-through whenever possible. When I do use outdoor walk-ups, I've definitely got my head on the swivel to keep an eye on the surroundings. I've typically got my right hand ready to draw and execute all the ATM functions with my left.

Were I approached I'd probably be very agreeable while reaching for my .45acp wallet. I've heard of one story where a fellow was confronted at the ATM and just said "Don't hurt me! I've put in my PIN. Take all you want!" while moving back, cowering. When the BG stepped up to the console he was shot 3 times. I didn't research to confirm if it actually happened that way, but it's not too far-fetched.

I do think that the use of electronic banking actually makes us more secure, if used judiciously. I don't carry around nearly as much cash as I used to (except when I'm going to a gun show!), and don't write any checks, unless I need to mail something. Checks really display way too much info.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Lead Moderator
    Drive up for me too. Awareness is most important in any possible hold up situation.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Drive-up only.

However, if forced to use the walk-up, and some dude comes up behind me and says "Give me all your money (or else)", threre's going to be an enormous problem. He's getting "or else". I guess I'd have to say I'm moving and drawing. Not sure if I'm going to the ground, or to the left, or to the right, or just what. But I'm moving and I'm pulling my piece.

And unless I KNOW he just isn't a threat, he's probably going to get shot.

National Bank of Walgreens/WallyWorld/etc

I usually use drive-up ATMs, but if I just need a few bucks cash in my pocket, I often go to Walgreens and buy a new magazine or book or even just a pack of gum and get cash over the purchase.

If I need to carry more than 50-60, I'd better have a good reason for it, since I tend to use CC and Debit mostly, keeping track of my spending a lot better than my poor old brain can.
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

I use drive-ups; if other than daylight hours I make 1 drive around before pulling up to the machine. I either drive a full size Bronco or a 1 ton dually pick-up so I have a good field of view and keep the head rotating and scan the mirrors during the transaction.

Plus that is the license plate on the truck....so I don't get hasseled much when driving it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links