Burglar caught in the act, what would you do?

This is a discussion on Burglar caught in the act, what would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this on another site and thought it raised some good questions about what you would do in the same situation. I did not ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Burglar caught in the act, what would you do?

VIP Member

Burglar caught in the act, what would you do?

I found this on another site and thought it raised some good questions about what you would do in the same situation. I did not see it anywhere on here but if it is please delete, move or combine.

The homeowner has installed a video camera in his garage because of previous thefts. He sees two men enter. Family calls 911 and he goes to confront them and gets a rather nasty surprise.

The question I have is this. What would you do in the same situation and in accordance with your state laws? What if anything would you have done tactically different?

For those of you who think the BG's are afraid of you and your master blaster this comment from the other site is absolutely correct.

BTW,
    Did you notice how unintimidated the bad guy was that the resident had a pistol? Remember that the next time you hear "there's nothing more intimidating than a...".

Most REAL bad guys are not intimidated by laser beams, racking shotguns actions, or how well armed you are. Especially the young stupid ones.

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-hom...0,553236.story

Thanks to 9mmParabellum from warrior talk for the original post good stuff brother.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't confront them, nothing in my garage worth dying or killing for, 911 has been called, you have the theft on video. I'd be more concerned about protecting my family (if I had one), cause I'm not going to leave them to confront BG's, and not taking them with me in the possible line of BG's fire.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I don't wanna lazyboy sideline this one. My mind now tells me to play it cool and wait for police, but put in that place, might have went out to the garage and at first sight of the BG's pistol, opened fire. Just glad no one got hurt.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

LUCKY!

The homeowner needs to go buy a Lotto ticket. He also needs to get some training on how to take a subject at gunpoint as well as building clearing procedures and room entry.

As to what I would do, most likely not much more than call the on-duty constabulary and be a good witness. The only other option, for me, would be to let the dogs have some fun with the pair but it's possible that one or both of the dogs would be shot in such a circumstance, and that is not a pleasing thought to me. So for me it's a no-brainer. I'll stay inside, and act like I don't know they are there, while being a good witness and calling the local law enforcement establishment.

There is no property I own worth my life, or the life of a loved one. I don't much care about the life of the Burglar, as they made their choices. I do however care a great deal about my life and I don't wish to jeapodize it unnecessarily, or die in vain.

Biker

VIP Member
    I went back and watched the video again. The guy had quite a few cameras around and a fairly large monitor you would think he could afford a garage door.

Makes you think.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Nothing in my garage worth mych either, but I can see the homeowners point, "some punk is breaking into your house and your just gonna sit there and let him get away with it?" If I did what he did and he pointed a gun at me I would order him to drop the gun, if he didnt, shoot.even though the gun was unloaded, you cant know that when your looking down the barrel of it. just my 2 cents.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    poppy, if he points the gun at you and means to use it, you won't get DRO...............out of your mouth, much less drop the gun before he opens up. He points a gun at you, put two in his chest and one in his head. Someone points a gun at you, assume they mean to use it, and you may not end up dead. Someone points a gun at me, they better shoot and hit me the first shot cause if not, i'm unloading my pistol until the threat ceases to be a threat. If they don't shoot, I'm still gonna drop him. The only way he lives is if the first thing he does when he sees me is throw the weapon down and raise his hands high, anything else he is still a threat. Someone pointing a gun at you is a deadly threat and you better react and fight fire with fire, not words. Sorry if i seem a little harsh, but thats what this is, a harsh topic in a harsh world
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    Nothing in my garage worth mych either, but I can see the homeowners point, "some punk is breaking into your house and your just gonna sit there and let him get away with it?" If I did what he did and he pointed a gun at me I would order him to drop the gun, if he didnt, shoot.even though the gun was unloaded, you cant know that when your looking down the barrel of it. just my 2 cents.
    If someone points a gun at me the time for verbalization has ceased.

You have three basic options at this point:
    1) Stand there and do nothing and rely upon the mercy of the badguy
    2) Retreat promptly or move to a more suitable location
    3) Shoot

I'm inclined to go with option 2 with option 3 being a close second, but I don't intend to put myself in the same position that the homeowner did. That's what insurance is for. This is real life, and there ain't no do-overs. While it would infuriate me that my property line has been breached, that bothers me less than a needless death. I am referring to my death over a situation that could've been handled in a better manner. Are you willing to die for that property? That's the question you have to ask yourself.

I have already asked myself that question, and while I am willing to die for some things, ceasing respirations over property isn't even a consideration for me.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The worst choice was what the homeowner chose to do since he risked being shot by the burglar. I would've opted to call the police and standby inside my house with my shotgun in hand in case they decide to go into my home. If you are not prepared to shoot a burglar, then don't face him. Just my $0.02.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I found it heartening to read that most repliers would let the LEOs do their job and stay out of the action--as far as I am concerned, "stuff" is not worth my life--that is why I have insurance. I found the video to be disturbing because this guy absolutely put his life in danger over what appears to be a lot of nothing, particularly since he did not even have a door on the garage. His sister makes the point that she was scared they would come into the house--that is where he should have been waiting after calling 911 although, depending on where he lived, not sure how "close" LEOs are and response time. They can break into my home and I will not go out from my bedroom and confront them the way this guy did in his garage, but if they come into my locked bedroom, however, my only concern is how will I get the carpet cleaned and the door jam fixed after my shotgun has introduced itself. In SC and probably other Castle Doctrine states, anyone who forcibly enters your occupied home is presumed to be putting you in imminent danger of death or great bodily injury and you have a right to protect yourself and your family with deadly force. Put another way, it is very, very dangerous to be a burglar in SC.

What would you do in the same situation and in accordance with your state laws? What if anything would you have done tactically different?
    First off, what up with the tarp over the garage door? This guy can afford a high-end surveillance system but can't spring for a secure garage door? Dude - a tarp is massive FAIL in terms of protecting your own property. Get. A. Real. Door.

According to the story he installed the system after a theft or break-in previously. If he had time to do that, he had time to get a door installed. So there's that.

Next, is it worth confronting somebody over? Yes. Like the story posted here yesterday about the goons breaking into a home and sexually assaulting the residents, if some hoodlums have invaded your property, you don't know what they want, and following a 911 call, I'd see about dealing with the situation.

For tactics, let's go back to the video. The position of the camera indicates that the BGs are inside the garage. The homeowner then enters the garage from outside. So at that stage, the only option for the punks to escape is to get past the owner who stands between them and the exit.

That's really bad. If you know your Sun Tzu's Art of War, you know that this is very poor strategy. Always leave the opponent a way out unless you plan on killing him.

From the looks of that garage, there was nothing in there worth dying for or facing a grand jury over, so defense of property and residents is the primary objective. I'd have grabbed the Mossberg and stayed outside the garage, taking a defensive position, and called out something like, "police are on the way," while aiming at the edge of the tarp and ready to open fire. Play it out from there.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

The most expensive thing in that garage was the surveillance camera!

Not saying what he did was wrong or right. If he had shot the BG, then he would have been justified since the BG was inside his garage and pointing a gun at him. Homeowner had no way of knowing it was loaded or not unless it was light enough in the garage and he had a good enough view into those cylinder chambers of that revolver the BG was pointing at him.

It appeared only one of the BG's had a gun, and it was unloaded according to the report. Now what if these scum bags decide to come back, next time with a loaded gun?

Yeah, I think the BG was scared of the home owner and his gun. He knew that the home owner's gun wasn't empty like his. That's why he had his arm out, like, "don't shoot me man, I'm just going to slide right out of here". If the BG's gun had been loaded, I have no doubt he would have shot the home owner, and the home owner, since he "didn't" pull the trigger, would have found himself in a shoot out point blank with the BG.

Yes the most expensive thing in that garage was the security camera. Not worth dieing over.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    First I would have asked if they needed to use my truck to haul all that junk away, and if so, they can't bring it (the junk, not the truck) back.

Wise or not, I probably would have confronted someone breaking into my house. My house this time--my bedroon next. Why he didn't shoot when the BG had a gun in hand is beyond me, especially with a second BG loose outside and me not knowing if he's armed too. I'm not going to play no Mexican standoffs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A couple comments, then an answer.

This guy didn't appear to have anything in the garage worth squat or worth going out to protect.
    Handguns are not impressive to many. While others experiences may be different, I have never encountered a crook that stuck his nose up at a boomer at close range. In fact I know of a few gunfights that were prevented specifically because of the presence of a boomer.

While I respect others decisions on what they would do, I would confront them, with a boomer, not a handgun. In this particular case, I would have to see the entire location to get a perspective on handling it. My first thought is to take cover beside the vehicle parked to the left of the garage and take them on as they came out of the garage. No conversations, "Drop it", etc. One word, "Freeze!". I don't like the tarp and not being able to see inside until you are committed, so as I stated, I would probably take them from cover as the came out.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links