A minor complaint directed at no one in particular...

This is a discussion on A minor complaint directed at no one in particular... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not really a complaint; more like a friendly reminder seasoned liberally with some teary-eyed blubbering about my physical condition: (Cue Violins...) I know most of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A minor complaint directed at no one in particular...

Wink A minor complaint directed at no one in particular...

Not really a complaint; more like a friendly reminder seasoned liberally with some teary-eyed blubbering about my physical condition:

(Cue Violins...)

I know most of you have heard me whine about my disabilities before, but Iím afraid that things are getting worse.

In addition to my crappy hips, my shot hearing, and my migraine headaches, I am pleased to report that I now have sciatica in my right leg. For those of you who havenít yet had the delightful experience that is this malady, allow me to explain:

A nerve in your lumbar gets pinched through some kind of physical stress or trauma and the resulting bio-feedback of the nervous tissue renders one leg almost inoperable due to pain. Imagine if you will a permanent leg cramp coupled with a stabbing pain behind the knee. Standing, walking, sitting, and even laying down can all become excruciating without care taken to keep the leg in itís preferred position.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that I was put together by hung-over elves on a Monday using the prior yearís rejected parts pile.

So, I guess my point is that I am just a little chagrined by some of the comments on various threads that suggest an emphasis on hand-to-hand defensive moves in self-defense-type scenarios. I fully respect and understand the idea; I just canít do many (or any for that matter. Walking is a challenge some days) of the things described. While I would give up many things to be able to perform a Deadly Mantis Flying Scissors Kick to a bad guyís cranial ridge, Iím afraid that it will never happen. Even using a knife is somewhat challenging as it too requires some adept physical skill and agility.

Again, this is not an attack or even ďdisĒ on any practitioner of the Empty Hand Martial Arts, itís just a reminder that not everyone is capable of retaining the many options afforded to most on this site. In many ways, my options begin with my mind and end with my EDC Handgun. Furthermore, Iím sorry to say (truly) that there is not much in between those two either. I must emphasize avoidance, diligence, and situational awareness to compensate. I am reasonably well spoken, and I have strong confidence in my abilities to talk myself out of a SHTF situation.

That said, to quote my father:

ďWhen a turd blows up, everyone gets stinky.Ē

So I carry a gun, a knife, a flashlight, a spare magazine, etc, just like everyone else here. But now the IWB holsters are causing the pain to get worse and I am starting to wonder how much longer I can keep carrying in this condition. Iíll continue until the moment I can no longer do so, Iím just concerned that it may be sooner than Iíd like.

Okay. Iím done kvetching. Iíll just leave you with two last notes:

1.Be thankful for everything you have, someone else would love to have it.

2.Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

2. Remove Ads

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.
    Sorry to hear about your condition, but that sentence is a "classic" and I felt it needed to stand alone.

Biker

I hope you find a good neurologist. I found one at Overlake -Dr Fosmire and he cured my condition miraculously.

I pray that you feel better.

Merry Christmas and have a wonderful holiday, Sir.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Might I suggest a shoulder rig, if hip carry is too uncomfortable, this might make it possible to carry a little while longer
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Way ahead of you, INccwchris!

So far (to anyone else who has issues) I've found crossdraw (my favorite EDC method) and shoulder to be the most comfortable carry options. Only problem is my shoulder carry is a G21sf with 45 rounds of .45!

At least I'm not going to feel undergunned...

Thanks to wolfshead for the concern. I am getting a EEG soon. Here's to hoping...

BikerRN: I was rather pleased with myself for that one. I might just add it to my signature line!

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    I am becoming increasingly convinced that I was put together by hung-over elves on a Monday using the prior year’s rejected parts pile.

I do enjoy a good mental picture!
    I've felt the same way at times reading details of people's EDC inventory. A few times I've wondered if they also wear a Batman mask.

I've sometimes replied to the Tae Kwon Do instructor posts, mentally of course, with a rolling of the eyes and a bit of sarcasm.
    I believe a few of those reject made there way into my creation as well.
    Add me to the list of those hoping you find a good Dr. to help you.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Well, it's a bit chilly outside right now. There are a lot of things I'd rather do than go out there with a 7-lb wooden ball and move it around.

But one reason I do it anyway is because it's part of iron palm conditioning, and another reason is because I really, really don't want to get sciatica, joint problems, and other physical and musculoskeletal injuries and chronic conditions.

There are various kinds of martial arts regimens, and some are best for the young guys who can take some wear and tear, and others are better for long-term physical maintenance and care of yourself. Being able to defend unarmed against threats is a kind of bonus, on top of health, well-being, mental acumen, sharpened SA, and better handling and use of your firearms.

I hear where you're coming from, EvilMonk, but do consider seeing a chiropractor, and maybe do some rehab, and think about acupuncture, and try some yoga, and see if you can find an internal arts school and start walking down the road. If you can move, if you can open a bottle of beer, then you can make some kind of progress toward being better able to kick ass and take of yourself. The right school and teacher can help you learn the cane - a devastating weapon that gives you options beyond firearms.

Because this isn't binary stuff, not "either-or." It's "both-and." I wish you a speedy recovery, amigo. Think positive, OK?
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Everyone has different levels of capability. You do what you can. If you "get religion" about physical fitness late in life, it is a hard uphill battle that will see an improvement, but not what would be expected if starting earlier in life. Physical impairments are the challenge of our everyday lives. I have a back injury from an auto accident that makes mornings a really pain in the back (pun intended :)). I absolutely do not move quickly until I have spent 10-15 minutes stretching and cussing. You learn what you can, and what you cannot do. You find ways to work around these challenges and you live your life.

EvilMok, your challenges seem heavy, but I think you have the right outlook. Fix what can be fixed and learn to accept what can't be fixed. Once you have done this, you find ways to accomplish what needs to be done. It may not be pretty, but that's Life.

PS. I had a good chuckle over the afore mentioned line too. Good one.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I have a spinal cord injury,I cannot run or fight,I lose my balance easily,When other people seem to feel that running away or going hand to hand is an option,the only viable option to me is draw and if the subject does not stop it's gonna be his last mistake,I think that disabled people would have a lot easier time proving self defense than somebody who is 6'4" 240 and built like a tank. OMOYMMV
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The scene from Indiana Jones comes to mind where the obviously talented sword guy is waving his sword around and Indy pulls and shoots him.

The gun, the great equalizer.

I wish you the best.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    The scene from Indiana Jones comes to mind where the obviously talented sword guy is waving his sword around and Indy pulls and shoots him.
    This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE

To the OP/EvilMonk,

I understand your position completely. Being in my mid-sixties, I'm not completely crippled yet, but I have slowed down quite a bit. I've also had several 'parts' removed. I wish you the best with your situation. As a young man I never really appreciated what the old folks talked about and had to put up with...now I know.

Take care...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    As a GOP (genuine old person) who daily thanks whatever deities might exist and whatever lucky I've had, I certainly understand that physical ailments can get in the way; that is why they are called, "disabilities."

Many can be overcome by creative effort, and many can't. When you can't stand on your feet because your back is out, when you need to crawl to the toilet, you are vulnerable, and there is no way around that simple fact.

Get the best medical/surgical care and physical therapy and then try to be as creative as you can in finding ways to compensate.

See Mercop's other posts here about the benefits of carrying a cane.

Distinguished Member
    Good morning,
    I had recently been carrying daily (I mean all day) with an IWB for about ....maybe four months. I started getting slight sciatica type symptoms, the usual pain in hip and butt and sometimes upper leg cramps. It occured to me that maybe that constant pressure from the iwb was causing or aggravating something. Long story short, I have not used my beloved iwb's for about a month now, switched to a pancake outside waistband and it has improved noticeably.

It sounds like you do have a bunch of issues other than just those aggraved by IWB pressure, but I am reading your post and keep thinking about that holstering making things worse for you. It looks like you are still using iwb, although you are contemplating shoulder carry.

Not a doctor not a nurse, just thinking outloud here. I hope you find some comfort.

cg

VIP Member
    I feel for you EvilMonk, there are days when cinching the belt causes pain, let alone the pressure of a gun carried IWB. At least we're lucky enough to both live is states where OC is legal, so an OWB holster, that might not conceal as well as an IWB is still an option.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks to all for your concern. I am currently going through the VA for treatment, but as said above by some sage person, "it's an uphill battle". Someone else said that they weren't 6'4" 240 lbs of powerhouse. I am 6'4" and 230 lbs of disability. I don't look it to most, but many here would be able to see the signs (we do practice our body language reading skills, yes?). I'm rather young for my plight, and I appear to be a solid guy of Late Youth (that's the one right before Middle Age). Looks, deceptive, etc.

I am increasingly becoming aware of various Martial Art forms that emphasize mobility, flexibility, and the building of strength for the older generations. I have seen and researched cane defensive techniques. I have even explored the utilization of geriatric paraphernalia as weapons in last ditch efforts to defend oneself.

The thing that bugs me is:

I'm barely in my thirties.

I know, "cry me a river." I've seen younger men and women come back from the Wars in wheelchairs and worse. I can still stand (albeit with the above noted creaks and grinds), so I shouldn't complain. I guess I just needed to vent some frustration.

Anyhoo, thanks for your kind words and perhaps you could keep in mind guys/gals like me the next time you see a cool and sadistic new defensive technique or weapon that even we could use.

Ya know, like a wheelchair mounted laser cannon (no recoil)!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links