Paranoid woman yelling at me at the store.

This is a discussion on Paranoid woman yelling at me at the store. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at an apparel store downtown a few days ago. I got a few things and walked to the cashier. I always carry concealed. ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Paranoid woman yelling at me at the store.

Unhappy Paranoid woman yelling at me at the store.

I was at an apparel store downtown a few days ago. I got a few things and walked to the cashier. I always carry concealed.

While I placed my wallet on the counter and opened it to take my card out, a customer next to me happened to see my Utah CPL and my NRA member card in my wallet.

She just lost it. "Oh yeah....that's all we need...more guns."

I didn't realize she was talking about me. I thought she was making conversation about something in the news with the other lady behind the counter.

"This NRA nut here is packing heat...someone call 911 and tell them this moron has a gun"....and her tone got louder and louder. I turned to her and was about to say something and I stopped myself. She paid for her stuff and continued to follow me to the door, still yelling.

I wasn't quite sure how to handle the situation since she was a woman in her 50s and was accompanying an older lady who was trying to calm her down.

I did nothing. I crossed the street and walked away.

Not sure how some of you would have handled this differently.

I was afraid the situation would get worse if LEOs arrived and she made something up.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

2. Remove Ads

You did the right thing. More than likely if the police responded, they would soon realize the lady was off her meds. Still would have been a headache, and waste of your time. Nice job keeping your cool though. No matter what you would have said, it would have made no difference in her mind.

It sounds to me like she was the one that needed the police called upon.

Off her meds or not, it sounds like she was disturbing the peace, which is a crime.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I would have called the police for her and explained what happened. She started a scene and began berating you after seeing your CPL and NRA card, thats at least disturbing the peace, if not harassment
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Yelling fire in a crowded theater anyone?

What a stupid...

Someone once had a great idea that they shared on this site.

Due to him losing his gun at night in the woods (all-black guns are just perfect for this) and subsequently having to wait until morning to find it, he applied some of that "Scotchguard" reflective tape down the slide. He said that it had occured to him that such a distinctive marking could also be used in this situation.

Officer-"Did you pull your gun?"
    You-"No I did not. Incidentally, I have a distinctive marking on my gun. If I 'pulled' on her, she'd know what it looked like, so ask her..."

...or some such.

I also know that there are plenty of cameras in stores these days and the first thing I would do (after calling the police or better yet telling her to) is request that the responding Officer look at the tapes. I'm not afraid of a MWAG call. Of course I live in a State that is highly supportive of our rights. Still, the law is stacked in your favor as are the facts. This is also why I try to only go to stores where they know me. If this or something worse should happen, I can trust the owner/operator to give a fair witness account.

You did the right thing. Avoidance is a good tool to have...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Distinguished Member
    First of all, what type of idiot berates a person like that in public especially since she potentially knows they could have a gun on them. There is certainly a flaw in her critical thinking. Maybe one day she won't berate someone so cool headed. Although I'd love to see her do it to a LEO that also has a permit, she'd get the ass chewing of a lifetime at the very least I'm sure, by him and all the responding units. They might even have to take her in for a 24hr evaluation since she doesn't seem stable. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't even engage a person like that. At the very most I'd call 911 for her.

911: what is your emergency?
    me: there is a woman here harassing me and creating a disturbance at xxx.
    911: is anyone hurt?
    me: No. But this woman won't leave me alone, keeps yelling something about the NRA and is following me around. I'm not sure what she's capable of doing.
    911: Ok, we are sending unit.

I don't flash my NRA card and CPL around. It's just a fact of life that in most places you go, people tend to be a bit skittish around firearms. It's good policy to be reserved with them.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I would have called the police for her and explained what happened. She started a scene and began berating you after seeing your CPL and NRA card, thats at least disturbing the peace, if not harassment
    Agreed...and something to the effect of "I think she is off of her medications..." and suggest a psych hold...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

whenever I open my wallet for any reason I am always careful that no one can see the contents or any cards I have,I agree with the others though, sounds like the woman was off her meds and you did trhe right thing. if the situation had escalated I would have called the polce and kept my distance from her.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    With some people - Ignorance is Bliss
    For God, Family and Country!

record it

What about taking a cell phone out and recording her and telling her where on YouTube she will be later. :)

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    I don't flash my NRA card and CPL around. It's just a fact of life that in most places you go, people tend to be a bit skittish around firearms. It's good policy to be reserved with them.
    I wholeheartedly agree. More people need to understand this.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

Personally, I "park" my CPL card behind my driver's license. So, the only license visible, is the driver's license. Should I need to show the CPL, I pull both licenses out together.

VIP Member
    You shoulda shot her...

I'm joking! You absolutely did the right thing and I commend you on your ability to hold yourself in check, as something like that would get me pretty steamed up...

I wasn't quite sure how to handle the situation since she was a woman in her 50s and was accompanying an older lady who was trying to calm her down.

I did nothing. I crossed the street and walked away.

You handled it correctly. Nothing could have been gained by responding to that idiot in a public place.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links