Subway defense - Page 2

Subway defense

This is a discussion on Subway defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Y'all: Sorry for incorrect reply--that's what getting old does to you. The butyric acid still works. I still believe in NYC, with its progressive, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subway defense

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Y'all: Sorry for incorrect reply--that's what getting old does to you. The butyric acid still works. I still believe in NYC, with its progressive, dictator as mayor, having a permit to carry and using same may save you but will still get you nothing but grief and lawyer fees if it is the "wrong" situation and the mayor decides to make an example out of you.

VIP Member
    FOR ALEX, Regarding my above advice to stand near a door or be prepared to move to an adjoining car, do keep in mind that there are some subway platforms at which you do not ever want to exit. You need to remain aware of what neighborhood the train is going through, what exists at that particular next stop, and whether or not you would be safer to remain on the train than to get off.

Generally, unless there is an active shooter on the train, I think you are way better off staying on there than getting off at the wrong station---especially if you might face a 20 minute wait for the next train while standing on a deserted platform at the wrong time of day.

There was a time when specialized subway police were stationed at each stop and would visually look into the cars -- even herd folks all toward one or two cars at the front of the train; and a large number of trains had officers on them during non-rush hour times. I don't know if the city still does any of that.

"D" Its a long time ago. Is that the line that runs under The Grand Concourse from near Van Courtland all the way into Brooklyn? What was called the IND at one time? If so, that was my daily journey. But, the South Bronx wasn't nearly as bad 45 years back as it is nowadays.
    Last edited by Hopyard; December 14th, 2010 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    "D" Its a long time ago. Is that the line that runs under The Grand Concourse from near Van Courtland all the way into Brooklyn? What was called the IND at one time? If so, that was my daily journey. But, the South Bronx wasn't nearly as bad 45 years back as it is nowadays.
    Yeah that’s the one. There are a few stops the D makes that I would never get off barring a shooter on the subway. But it’s a good thing to keep in mind. Is it worse in hear or out there. you don’t see a lot of police in the subway system outside of Manhattan anymore.

Avoid the subways if possible.
    Not really something I can avoid. It’s a fact of life like driving for some people.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    So anyone have any planes for being in subway cars? It was something I was thinking about today. I usually try to stand near one of the back or front near one of the doors so I can see as much of the car as I can. I don’t know what the rules are in different cities are for CC on the subway. I don’t even know what it is in NYC. Anywise for those that are on the subway armed and unarmed what is your basic plan? Mine is basically move to a different car or get of if things look bad. If I have to fight, then I would use my flashlight I carry in my pocket.
    Exactly the same way you do it, Alex. You hit it right on the button. Another thing to add is that I prefer to sit near the aisles so that I can move from one seat to another. Been to Queens and Manhattan before as well as Chi-Town so it's good to know as all I can carry on me is a flashlight.

So anyone have any planes for being in subway cars? It was something I was thinking about today. I usually try to stand near one of the back or front near one of the doors so I can see as much of the car as I can. I don’t know what the rules are in different cities are for CC on the subway. I don’t even know what it is in NYC. Anywise for those that are on the subway armed and unarmed what is your basic plan? Mine is basically move to a different car or get of if things look bad. If I have to fight, then I would use my flashlight I carry in my pocket.
    Subways, like elevators present one with the conundrum of hitting your target if you opt to discharge your weapon.
    Tactics play an important role in whatever defensive encounter you find yourself in, but subways are like telephone booths. In short crowded and most likely innocent bystanders abound. I find nothing wrong in the tactic of leaving the subway car if one can do so safely. If however you are forced to shoot, you also need to pay consideration to others around and where your bullets will go. Since fleeing, while the subway car is in motion, is not always a good option you may have to consider closing with your adversary and discharging your weapon on a downward trajectory in to the assailant.

I wouldn't use my flashlight if the situation warranted a firearm. I am however of the hope that neither is required.

Biker

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    IMO...it all starts with the bread. Six inch or foot long? Pick your veggies. My apologies if needed. Subway simply involves sandwiches to me. Defending against them isn't something I do on a regular basis. Do your best and adapt to the environment. Mayo....or creamy Italian? With or without pepper? Green peppers? Whole wheat, white, etc......? A subway is what you make of it before you eat it. Analogy? Maybe. Your environment is something you deal with every day. If you can't custom order it, you'll have to work with what's given, and what's given changes each and every day. Plans? Plans are okay so long as you plan on making changes at the last minute. It's good to have a plan, but it's better to make your plan adaptable. Every day life only follows some of the basic rules....the rest of the rules we make when we need them. Rule number one is stay alive.
    ^+1 Couldn't have said it better.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

my avatar and signature... nufff said. my choice of carry back then was a S&W tactical Pen.
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

VIP Member
    Yeah that’s the one. There are a few stops the D makes that I would never get off barring a shooter on the subway. But it’s a good thing to keep in mind. Is it worse in hear or out there. you don’t see a lot of police in the subway system outside of Manhattan anymore.
    Well, at least its not the one that runs along Jerome Avenue. The kids leaving DeWitt Clinton H.S. were so notorious (in my day) that one time the police had the train move to the center tracks and they arrested every kid on the train.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links