You might Pick Up A Few Tips & Hints From This Guy. - Page 2

You might Pick Up A Few Tips & Hints From This Guy.

This is a discussion on You might Pick Up A Few Tips & Hints From This Guy. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bas Ruttens' style is called Pancrase which is a mixture of Krav Maga and Jiu-Jitsu. He used to fight professionally but now is an instructor ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You might Pick Up A Few Tips & Hints From This Guy.

Bas Ruttens' style is called Pancrase which is a mixture of Krav Maga and Jiu-Jitsu. He used to fight professionally but now is an instructor to fighters like KIMBO SLICE and a few others.
    One more step and it's on!

VIP Member
    He is one very tough dude. I have seen them testing the power of his kicks using crash test dummies. He generates more force than a car crash with his kicks.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    "He is one very tough dude."
    For sure.

Wm Shatner can also teach you a few "serious bad" SD techniques that are truly out of this world.
    Especially when grappling with a larger, tougher, and incredibly thick skinned assailant. Really. Truly.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Wm Shatner can also teach you a few "serious bad" SD techniques that are truly out of this world.
    Especially when grappling with a larger, tougher, and incredibly thick skinned assailant. Really. Truly.

Really? You had to post that. I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing the "Sexist space explorer vs. Komodo Dragon man" fight again.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I have used his stuff to help me with bag work.
    Same here. When you want to work out on the bag, a Bas Rutten session is great practice.

It's important to understand that one of the things that makes boxers so damn tough is that they don't try to win a fight with a single punch. A hand-to-hand engagement is more like a chess match, and the better player is 3, 4, 5 moves ahead. This kind of training gets you to that point, where you jab, jab-cross, uppercut, etc.

Where the average untrained person will aim at your jaw, or go for a body blow, a Bas Rutten style fighter is going to come at you with a trained flurry of strikes that have been practiced for countless hours on a heavy bag. And Bas uses a style that's in agreement with the art I study, where you "go with the flow" of combat.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Same here. When you want to work out on the bag, a Bas Rutten session is great practice.

It's important to understand that one of the things that makes boxers so damn tough is that they don't try to win a fight with a single punch. A hand-to-hand engagement is more like a chess match, and the better player is 3, 4, 5 moves ahead. This kind of training gets you to that point, where you jab, jab-cross, uppercut, etc.

Where the average untrained person will aim at your jaw, or go for a body blow, a Bas Rutten style fighter is going to come at you with a trained flurry of strikes that have been practiced for countless hours on a heavy bag. And Bas uses a style that's in agreement with the art I study, where you "go with the flow" of combat.
    Indeed, its combos of punching and kicking plus the judo/jujitsu (don't know the difference except I think one is more for stand up and the other grappling). I'd not heard the name "Pancrase " before, but that is how I am trained.

Though we use the bag, my instructor also puts on protective gear so the practice can be done in a dynamic manner. He'll wear head gear so he can take shots to his temples and ears, but still things need to be carefully pulled at times to prevent bad accidents.

To your point about combos, it is spot on. FLOW. Like the term used in Modern ARNIS, which someone told me meant flow, is the key. Combos and flow and moving smoothly from one to the other and into throws, not just a jab or cross and a prayer.

VIP Member
    For Brownsbacker-- if you have use of your hands you can probably learn to do some small circle jujitsu. For example if someone puts their arm on your shoulder you can probably bring them to their knees with little more than a small movement of your wrist. You need to find someone who knows lots of jujitsu and is willing to help you apply techniques or develop new ones that you can use while sitting. Lots of the stuff I do standing could be done sitting as well if I gave it some thought.

It is often natural for folks to bend down toward your face to talk to you when you are in a chair; they stupidly think you are deaf. That's not a bad time to do a couple of quick ear clasps, grab the head and gouge the eyes.

You probably have more options than you think, but it will be hard to find someone who is willing to spend the time creatively applying methods to your situation.

That would be a great niche area of MA for someone if funding could be found to support the study and teaching.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    He is one very tough dude. I have seen them testing the power of his kicks using crash test dummies. He generates more force than a car crash with his kicks.
    On Fight Science, here ya go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGjPnLjvvrs

For anyone that doesn't know who Bas is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L_Au...eature=related

The man is also king of the slap! Love watching him slap guys silly.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

There was some moves to take from that.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    He says he worked for years as a bouncer. I believe he could do the job, but has wasted his talents for bouncer pay!
    He's Bas Ruttan....Internationally famous for his talents.
    I won't spoil it for ya here so go to YouTube and query his name, or to Google to locate his professional and sporting resume.

Don't be fooled by his jovial and almost childlike nature; He is not to be trifled with.

- Janq

"On the streets everything is legal." - Bas Ruttan
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Here he is... Auto Tuned!

Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links