Scared for my life a little while ago. - Page 2

Scared for my life a little while ago.

This is a discussion on Scared for my life a little while ago. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad it was fake and glad you didn't mess up your pants. Maybe you should school the admin folks on e-mail read receipts....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scared for my life a little while ago.

Glad it was fake and glad you didn't mess up your pants. Maybe you should school the admin folks on e-mail read receipts.

I'd pay good money to see the look on your face, what was going threw your mind ? wow glad it turned out to be a drill, I was reading this thinking "Not again" ?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    An active shooter drill using blanks from a real gun in a civilian environment that hadn't been swept and secured? Completely irresponsible and highly dangerous.
    +1 This sounds quite amateurish. It's not even remotely funny.

Instead of laughing at/about you, they should be rethinking this whole mess. I'd perhaps suggest my lawyer would be interested to learn why they didn't sweep the entire area before their little "drill".

The only funny part about this story is that you're a computer guy and didn't get the email. The irony is incredible.

My question would be, what did YOU learn? Had it been real, would your actions have allowed you an opportunity to escape/evade and gain adequate cover or concealment sufficient to save your life? Did you learn something that will better serve you in the future? Not being critical, just wondering...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

If you had been armed, or had decided to attack
    He would have gone to jail i'm sure.
    J/K.....sorta

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    An active shooter drill using blanks from a real gun in a civilian environment that hadn't been swept and secured? Completely irresponsible and highly dangerous.
    I agree, very dangerous situation. Even though "no one" is supposed to legally be carrying a concealed weapon in the school, "WHAT IF" you had been, or someone else that was uninformed had been.

Scary situation for you I'm sure. Very eye opening for them I'm sure.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    He would have gone to jail i'm sure.
    J/K.....sorta

Michael
    Since he would have been illegally carrying he would probably have spent some jail time. Not kidding.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This not funny, to me.

There was no follow up to staff by your manger (principal) that this would be occurring?
    No staff meeting to inform all in _addition_ to an e-mail to which everybody knows e-mils aren't all read never mind remembered (!).
    No posting of a notice toward same in the employee break rooms or even among the hallways?
    No talk of same among co-workers either?!

Also why would the local police think this wise and appropriate to do such a training during _school hours_ with real students in their classrooms.
    My local and state police as well as the college & university police forces all do these type drills at night or on weekends in _empty_ buildings off hours using selected 'actors' to play various roles.
    Same as how the fire dept. doesn't run into the mll during business hours running 'drills' at rel world time frames.

If you had been armed, or had decided to attack (!) rather than flee then what?!
    What if you had been induced by the shock and your fear into a cardiac event...Is that gonna be funny to people to? Ha ha.

Seriously, you should talk with your principal and suggest that this is inappropriate action and behavior by the local PD.
    They need to be doing their training simulations at times that are not disruptive to school business and with persons specifically recruited/selected/hired to _act_ as select parts among their play.

- Janq
    +1. If you had been one of those "I'll carry in a smart carry and no one will know, i'd rather be fired than dead" folks, this would have been a tragic case all the way around.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    +1. If you had been one of those "I'll carry in a smart carry and no one will know, i'd rather be fired than dead" folks, this would have been a tragic case all the way around.
    All true, but could just as easily been someone who is allowed to carry that was walking through. The area was not secure...bottom line.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

I totally agree with all comments. Most officers weren't laughng and were also wondering how I "slipped throug the cracks". About one a year ago they simulated a active shooter during a basket ball game. There were also mistakes and lack of judgement in that one too.

The fellow whom was to keep the area safe wasn't in "timing" with the active shooter. Kinda of like a ref. of sorts. Most officers were rookies. they're were pooring with sweat during the "clearing of the school" LOTS of nook and crannies.

My wife is very upset about it too. It was all kinda sureal to me for a wihile....but during the drive home I was just letting it run through my head on how bad this was planned out. The superintendent isn't pleased either and personally ask if I was ok and if I need any thing. We talked.

But it is not uncommon for IT to be forggotten about is most cases of events. unless a Laptop doesn boot or some other crap. then it's "were is technology I need them NOW!!"

Oh the area was "secure" I just came out of a hole that people either forgot about or just thought is was storage....sense my office is an old storage rm.

if the "active shooter" realized I wasn't acting the simulation would've halted...but it didn't.

During those moments of actuall terror...my mind and the way it precieves things changed....I can't explain it but I'm different. I'm not the same frogbones.

The lead LEO is very apologetic and sorry for the lack of follow through. This team was new to doing this and mistakes were made that might get somebody fired. I'm not the only mistake that was made....some other events happend out at the fieldhouse. Thats also came to light.

Oh and the lack of details....on communication. See I new it was going to happen sometime near future...but not @ 12:00pm today...sheesh.

Oh another thing....all the students that were part of the SIM (most left campus) thought it was the coolist thing.

Emergency drill FAIL. Or, "UR doin' it wrong."

This could have had tragic consequences. It is imperative that you contact the organizing persons responsible for this fandango and explain to them what went wrong and a "lessons learned" correction needs to be made to their procedures. If nothing else, the person in your position could have had a heart attack, might have turned to run and slipped and been injured - let alone entered a combative state and attacked the person in the simulation.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Im sorry but i agree this was not funny at all. I would have emptied my mag at the "threat" and reloaded. I would not be able to post this either because i would be in jail or worse.

This sounds like the worst planning I've ever heard of!

Glad you at least didn't throw a punch.............................I probably would have......at someone. That was no joke...........

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links