Scared for my life a little while ago.

This is a discussion on Scared for my life a little while ago. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Frogbones, at this point you've done your duty and I'd let it go, publicly at least. You don't want to ever do or say anything ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scared for my life a little while ago.

Frogbones, at this point you've done your duty and I'd let it go, publicly at least. You don't want to ever do or say anything that could affect your job. People act strangely in these types of situations...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

2. Remove Ads

I learned that I'm more stronger mentally, more prepared than I thought. I've was never really sure how'd I 'd act in a situation that I was actually being shot at. Even though my fight/flight instincs kicked in, my mind was clear, and multitasking. Subconciously counted rounds fired....realized what type of firearm it was so to determine possible round count. Knowing I was going to survive.

How I moved....I just didn't drop. I dove to one side...then ran to the other side of the hall as to make the shooter track me...all without thinking about it...I just did it.

I never just knew how I'd be....but with the incident on the land and how I put those wild dogs down. With the actions I made in this event. I'm confident, and know now, I have the reolve and will to survive and will take action to do so with a clearmind set.

I'm confident...I could of and would've put that "BG" down if I was armed. That in itself was VERY sobering. THANK GOD I WASN'T ARMED.

Don't play into the fear...it's there, it's strong, but will it to help you focus. Just don't let it take you over.

I was lucky enough to attend a school that acknowleges its students right to self deffense. I would have been carrying and I would have reutrned fire.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Dude... this IS serious. They screwed the pooch hard on this one and it could easily have resulted in a dead actor and jailed you. As it is the best possible outcome occurred and that still inflicted psychological trauma to an innocent. Being shot at and put in a position that incites stark raving terror that you are about to die is NOT something anyone should be subjected to.

I would be FURIOUS.
    Well I could be mad about it...very mad, fume over it, rant about it untill my eyes bleed. But as a believer in God...I was put through this event for a reason, I learned alot about myself. I have since hardcore self reflected..and am at peace for wich I just endored.

I feel I'm a better man, and citizen because of this event. I have since humbled myself in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmindwarp View Post
    I was lucky enough to attend a school that acknowleges its students right to self deffense. I would have been carrying and I would have reutrned fire.
    I'm sure most of us on this forum would've done it too.

VIP Member
    Wow, you are a great writer Frog. I felt like I was right there with you as I read your account of what happened. I was relieved to find out it was a drill, and that none of the trauma was physical.
    The things you went through and what you learned about yourself are INVALUABLE! You just went through the best training of your life, because you didn't know it was coming.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Heh..I just told how it happened...I didn't think I told it clearly enough. Yeah...one heck of a "drill" to say the least.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Wow, that is scary. You should try suggesting that if they plan on using realistic looking guns and blanks again, they should have some way to be clear to every possible person that it was a simulation.

Have the shooter be wearing a banner that says this is a drill
    have a uniformed officer alongside him or go before him
    camera crews

something to remove any doubt that it was real. I understand that they want it to "feel" real, but that could have gotten someone killed.

I think that might be something that could be laughed about later, but after certain issues were discussed.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    would you believe someone running toward you and leveling a gun at you with a vest on that said "this is a drill" wasnt going to kill you?...

If the level of realism required demands the use of blanks there is still no reason to have the gun pointed at anyone. Pointing the weapon down and to the side would be quite sufficient.

Oh hell... they violated so many rules it's not even worth the effort to try and correct them. Whoever planned this needs to rethink their career choices.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Whoever planned this needs to rethink their career choices.
    Well from what my boss told me over lunch that is a very good possibility....

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    would you believe someone running toward you and leveling a gun at you with a vest on that said "this is a drill" wasnt going to kill you?...
    Personally I would not...No more than if I saw some fool wearing an I'm a good guy "C.C.W." shirt or orange colored safety sash.
    Same as how we see in normal life people walking around wearing POLICE, FBI, DEA and CIA letters & logo emblazoned shirts. That means nothing to me, in my mind.
    Man/woman with weapon...Pointed at me. That is the beginning and the end of my view, per my own mindset.
    In days and times like they have been the past oh...TWENTY YEARS now (!)...You just don't act and operate like this (police) and deem yourself to be professional (police AND school admins.).

Frog I too believe in God.
    And I'd be furious, still, if I were you...Even as generally I'm often described by friends and strangers alike to be laid back and 'nice'.

This was and is wrong.

- Janq

P.S.
    You got these sort of responses from folk here because many if not most of us are regular people; Just like you.
    We aren't 'Mall Ninja' types nor tacti-cool 'warrior' wannabes nor are we former Spec-Ops retired SEAL contract 'Operator' types who on weekends work part-time for MI5.
    We are regular folk...Your neighbor, the guy at the deli, your postman, dude in the car opposite you in traffic who wants to get to work and then back home...Just like you.
    Like you we too have wives, kids, parents, friends and lives that we wish to live. Or at least that has been and is my view, toward _us_.
    So reading your story it's pretty darn easy for the common man to imagine himself being in your shoes. And the fit it is uncomfortable to say the least.
    We're your friends man....And we are you too.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

When I was in the Army, we had a procedure before opening fire with live ammo during a training session...over loudspeakers, we would broadcast:

IS THERE ANYONE DOWNRANGE? IS THERE ANYONE DOWNRANGE?

IF THERE IS ANYONE DOWNRANGE, MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN BY SIGHT OR SOUND!

Sounds like they should have had someone with a bullhorn walk through the school, letting everyone know a drill was happening soon - assuming they thought this was a good idea to do during school hours. There's just no excuse for a school visitor or anyone else "not getting the memo."

Sheesh!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Holy Smoke!!!! What a screw up!!! Glad you are OK and nobody got killed.

Had this happened in Colorado, where it is only against policy to carry on higher ed campuses, I would have been carrying, as I do every day at my current job, against policy.

As I was reading your initial post, I put myself in your shoes as you posted (I am not armchair quarterbacking here). I would have either immediately drawn and engaged the threat. I was just shot at by someone 33 yards away…period, game on. That is too close to hope that I can out run and out maneuver a standing shooter. Even as you did, found cover, then engage the threat.

Even being in an office, closet, or classroom (READ - not in the hallway anymore), I am trapped, and still under threat. I am not going to sit and wait. If the opportunity is there to exit through a window, I may have selected that, but then there is this whole "Building full of unarmed innocents without the option that I have to stop the threat", would be weighing very heavily on me. I am not a sheepdog, and I have a strong belief that the herd needs culling, but this scenario hammers on my morals & ethics.

Yes it would have ended badly, and been an interesting day in court. My life would have been ruined, I would most certainly be doing prison time, and I would be mortified for having shot an "actor". However my conscious would be clear because my actions were based on what I knew to be fact at the time - just another day at work, nothing special, going about my business, I was just shot at and was apparently lucky the shooter lacks accuracy skills.

I am not part of the sue happy litigious society (though you certainly have grounds for a civil suit - emotional trauma). I'd be seeking other employment after your incident, complete with several glowing-Teflon coated letters of recommendation from the top management (a wee bit of extortion there). I have a low tolerance for stupid.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links