Scared for my life a little while ago. - Page 5

Scared for my life a little while ago.

This is a discussion on Scared for my life a little while ago. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Janq This not funny, to me. There was no follow up to staff by your manger (principal) that this would be occurring? ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This not funny, to me.

There was no follow up to staff by your manger (principal) that this would be occurring?
    No staff meeting to inform all in _addition_ to an e-mail to which everybody knows e-mils aren't all read never mind remembered (!).
    No posting of a notice toward same in the employee break rooms or even among the hallways?
    No talk of same among co-workers either?!

Also why would the local police think this wise and appropriate to do such a training during _school hours_ with real students in their classrooms.
    My local and state police as well as the college & university police forces all do these type drills at night or on weekends in _empty_ buildings off hours using selected 'actors' to play various roles.
    Same as how the fire dept. doesn't run into the mll during business hours running 'drills' at rel world time frames.

If you had been armed, or had decided to attack (!) rather than flee then what?!
    What if you had been induced by the shock and your fear into a cardiac event...Is that gonna be funny to people to? Ha ha.

Seriously, you should talk with your principal and suggest that this is inappropriate action and behavior by the local PD.
    They need to be doing their training simulations at times that are not disruptive to school business and with persons specifically recruited/selected/hired to _act_ as select parts among their play.

- Janq
    Excellent points. Glad you're(OP) OK though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Yes it would have ended badly, and been an interesting day in court. My life would have been ruined, I would most certainly be doing prison time, and I would be mortified for having shot an "actor".
    I really don't think you would necessarily be doing prison time!

In your mind It Was Real. You did not know it was a drill. You did not get the memo! You were not part of the team.

It's the same thing as if you were a store clerk and someone came in and robbed you using a toy gun. You think the incident is real, you believe it's a real gun, you are legitimately in fear of your life, and it would pass the reasonable man smell test. You should certainly be cleared of the criminal charges, just as anyone should be, if any charges would be filed in the first place!

People are acquitted all the time for shooting people who "only had a toy gun." If fact, most the time charges aren't even brought. I think in most cases it's usually the police involved in shooting people with toy guns, but it certainly happens to civilians too.

Now, of course it would a tragedy of the most epic proportions! You may even have emotional scars for the rest of your life. You may end up getting jammed up for violating policy, but not for breaking any laws, and most likely, not for anything criminal. You may have to deal with a civil lawsuit as well. But I don't see any reason why they would hold someone criminally responsible for any kind of murder or manslaughter charge.

The family for the "actor" who would have been killed, would certainly have a legitimate wrongful death suit against just about everyone who planned the event, but legally, you should be held harmless!

And of course, you would have all kinds of civil cases you could file on your behalf against a whole slew of people involved who screwed up and allowed you to be placed in that situation in the first place.

Yep, it would be a tragedy of epic proportions, no doubt. But I don't see any criminal culpability on your part or anyone who would have returned fire and engaged the shooter if they were in the same situation.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well I"m off work for the next 16 days....plenty of time to hopefully let me get over this deal a bit. Since I keep reliving it over, N over N over....also getting more upset. I gotta chill on this so to enjoy my vacation.

Try not to dwell on it. Get out and enjoy the time away from work. Drink plenty of water, avoid caffeine and try and get a solid nights rest each night. Remember, it may take up to a week for your body to purge the toxins which accumulated in your body during the adrenaline dump you experienced.

Partake in plenty of activities to keep your mind off of the event during your vacation.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

This whole thing would have been extremely dumb here. It's legal to CC in schools, etc. that are not posted. Colleges, can have a policy to prevent students, but NOT visitors. Here, the guy may have gotten shot if he could have come in doing that with an armed person standing there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    An active shooter drill using blanks from a real gun in a civilian environment that hadn't been swept and secured? Completely irresponsible and highly dangerous.
    +100 The only thing stupider than this situation is CWP badges. What the H*** could people have been thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    +100 The only thing stupider than this situation is CWP badges. What the H*** could people have been thinking?
    They didn't think, that's the problem.

Frog, try to get plenty of exercise. I've found that helps in burning off those toxins that you developed.

Biker

VIP Member
    What if a parent, who was a police officer,(who would have been legal to carry a firearm) from another jurisdiction was present that day.

They most certainly would NOT have gotten the memo.

Would have been a big oops.

These clodhoppers really goofed, IMHO

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    doesnt hurt to have training
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I had something simular happen to me on an A.F. base. I walked out of a door and there was 3 A.F. cops drawn down on a guy with a granade in his hand, all about 20 feet away. As soon as I saw and it regestered I grabbed my coworker who was nealing down by the back of his collor and drug him about 15 feet around the corner of the building. When I grabbed him, he started yelling "what are you doing? what are you doing?" After we were safely around the corner I tell him there was a guy with a hand granade and he started laughing and said, they are only training. I laugh about it now but it wasn't funny then.

What if...

First off, OP, sorry to hear that you were subject to this sort of shocking life event.

I've skimmed through some of the posts, so I apologize if this scenario was mentioned. I use to live next door (across the street) from an elementary school. Had I heard gun shots, living in today's environment where school shootings are far too common, I, as an armed citizen who has kids in school would've been entering armed as soon as shots rang out. While this may not be the best or wisest method (as I may be confused with the shooter when LE arrive), there would still be one shot to he11 perp. Instead of "talks" they'd all lose their commission.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links