Scared for my life a little while ago.

This is a discussion on Scared for my life a little while ago. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well about an hour ago I really feared for my life. I was working at my school holed up in my tiny office remoting into ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scared for my life a little while ago.

Scared for my life a little while ago.

Well about an hour ago I really feared for my life.

I was working at my school holed up in my tiny office remoting into computers and working my tickets.

I came across one I couldn't get to so I had to go to the PC. As I left my tiny office and started down the hallway things were way wierd quite.

I then heard three distinct gunshots. I thought OH NO, my gut sank and I began to freak I started back to my office. Then a young guy came through the doulble doors down the hallway with a SS revolver in his hand...I almost crapped my pants as he leveled the gun at me and fired. BAM BAM..I dove against the wall and ran down the hallway and banged on a classroom door. Didn't open..locked so I panickly got my keys opened the door and blasted in.

Call the cops!! Call the cops I yelled. The coach looked at me and said "boy you getting really into this aren't you"....I was like whaa??

The whole class busted out laughing as I stood there white as a ghost and trying to figure out things...coach said (Frog) this is a active shooter drill.

It all made sense now the quite hallways, etc.etc. I was like ahhh man!!

apperantly all new about it, even local PD were training on how to responed etc.etc.

I didn't get the email days before, I didn't get hear the anouncement about it starting.

What a deal....it's all funny now and I'm the butt of some jokes.

BUT WOW, I thought I was actually in the real deal in the hallway with a shooter SHOOTING @ me!!

The guy whom was acting out the "active shooter" told me he thought I was in on it and was playing a part....he said my eyes were huge even down the long hallway...he laughed at how I dove and scrambled to get in the classroom. He was using blanks... such to give sound and smell element to the drill. Some officers talked to me about it.... we ALL got a laugh out if it.

I'm a different person now...that event changed the way I think and live now....even thoug it wasn't real, I really thought it was. All the stuff that flashed before me....change me. My boss can't stop laughing and said I did good despite it all.

Oh man...what a day. Atleast I was getting paid for it.

2. Remove Ads

Holy crap!
    Had you been carrying, do you think you would have returned fire? (I realize you work at a school and wouldn't be carrying, just what-if?)
    I'm glad it was just a drill!

Yes, if I was going against it all. and was carrying I would've returned fire. I didn't know it was a drill/...for all I knew I was in a Columbine/Virgina Tech event.

I never told or even hinted about that to anyone there. That one, I keep a gun in my car. Two, that I woulda coulda shot the actor if I did decide to go against the law and carry anyways.

Though carrying while at this job has never been debated in my head...I will follow the law as best I can especailly federal laws..

I'm glad I have a GM key and can get through any door in the district.

There is an SRO that works here but the first shots fired were to simulate the SRO is down and out of the action.

The responding officers had thier duty guns drawn but sildes were locked back with zipe ties through the breach and down the barrel. Two had AR's that were also zip tie safed.

It would have been funny if you were able to move on the shooter and beat the crap outta him.. ooops.. I didn't get the email..

The problem I have with this exercise was the lack of forethought that was put into it. They did not understand the importance of securing the area. Had you attacked this person or worse yet you had a heart attack this would have been their fault.
    Those in charge did not seem to understand the seriousness of their own drill.

Michael

A situation that you believe to be real provides some of the best possible training, in spite of the associated mental anguish.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

My heart still get a little racey thinking about being in the element. How vunerable those victims felt in the actuall shootings...how feable I felt....well before I new it wasn't reall.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The problem I have with this exercise was the lack of forethought that was put into it. They did not understand the importance of securing the area. Had you attacked this person or worse yet you had a heart attack this would have been their fault.
    Those in charge did not seem to understand the seriousness of their own drill.

Michael

yes that was talked about..I wasn't on the school email list. and I'm not near a annoucement speaker. Plus I work two different campuses and probly thought I was @ the other one. I mostly go unnoticed and just work in the background....fly on the wall thing.

That's what the police, my boss ,and the principal were all talking about when the drill was over.

I learned the school learned and the police learned ALOT out of thie drill. They will have another one at the end of the year.

Since this district is in a low income, low tax bracket, highdropout area. They have done several of these drills over the last few years. Each time we all walk away better prepared for the real event.

Quote Originally Posted by blastissimo View Post
    It would have been funny if you were able to move on the shooter and beat the crap outta him.. ooops.. I didn't get the email..
    Yeah I was about 100feet down the hall from him, the hall is lined with lockers...no cover for me to advance. I chose to run and gain refuge in a class room.

The gun was a six shot ruger. I beleive....

I think you need to talk to the person responsible for the drill and explain to them how easily they could have had a dead person on their hands.

Very scary.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

An active shooter drill using blanks from a real gun in a civilian environment that hadn't been swept and secured? Completely irresponsible and highly dangerous.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Good thing it turned out ok but what if it occurred with someone who disobeys carry laws in schools and decided to return fire. That would have been a totally different outcome.

oh they secured it....they thought. all were in lock down state when it began....except me. Parents were sent home fliers a week before call outs were done etc,etc.

All the proceedures were done so all..staff and student alike could get a "feel" what and how things work.

I just happen to miss the event getting setup, and started walking down the hall right when the drill started. I had been in my office since 7:30 and just happened to come out at the time the all clear was given and the drill started.

They had actors all through the school, some to start screaming when "shot fired", some had wound cards to diplay when EMS came through etc.etc. It was a whole setup I was just couped up in my back room closet.

This not funny, to me.

There was no follow up to staff by your manger (principal) that this would be occurring?
    No staff meeting to inform all in _addition_ to an e-mail to which everybody knows e-mils aren't all read never mind remembered (!).
    No posting of a notice toward same in the employee break rooms or even among the hallways?
    No talk of same among co-workers either?!

Also why would the local police think this wise and appropriate to do such a training during _school hours_ with real students in their classrooms.
    My local and state police as well as the college & university police forces all do these type drills at night or on weekends in _empty_ buildings off hours using selected 'actors' to play various roles.
    Same as how the fire dept. doesn't run into the mll during business hours running 'drills' at rel world time frames.

If you had been armed, or had decided to attack (!) rather than flee then what?!
    What if you had been induced by the shock and your fear into a cardiac event...Is that gonna be funny to people to? Ha ha.

Seriously, you should talk with your principal and suggest that this is inappropriate action and behavior by the local PD.
    They need to be doing their training simulations at times that are not disruptive to school business and with persons specifically recruited/selected/hired to _act_ as select parts among their play.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

yep what if you were closer and brained him with a fire extinguisher all because of poor communication? They should have had EVERYbody in that school onboard and SIGNED off on that before it even happened, not just an e-mail or announcement.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links