"You da man,you da man!"

This is a discussion on "You da man,you da man!" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pistola I welcome the opinion of others,but you pretend to read my mind and judge my moral intentions.Only God can do so.Your ...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: "You da man,you da man!"

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    I welcome the opinion of others,but you pretend to read my mind and judge my moral intentions.Only God can do so.Your opinion and a dollar bill will buy me a small coffee at McDonalds.
    My friend, please show me where I pretended to read your mind. I am not judging your intentions, only your self-described ACTIONS:

- YOU posted this with a smiley face
    - YOU pointed a gun at a guy you claimed* may* have been reaching for your locked car door handle
    - YOU said he made no verbal threat nor threatened you in any way with violence
    - YOU yukked it up about him possibly urinating in his pants
    - YOU posted your interpretation of his response in your pidgin ebonics
    - YOU didn't feel this "attack" was serious enough to warrant a call to the authorities

I was not trying to read your mind.

If you post here, you are asking for comments or opinions. Sorry if I don't feel your actions deserve a slap on the back, and a hearty, "You sure made that [insert racial epithet here] run for his life! Good for you! He may have been up to no good."

You may not consider my opinion of any value. That's your prerogative.

However, I do expect to see you locked up some day for your overzealous efforts to manage your personal safety solely with a firearm. For your sake, I hope that's never the case.

Only God can judge you? Maybe in Heaven, but here in the USA, a judge and jury can as well.

2. Remove Ads

B94
    I think if I had been in pistola's situation I would have waited a little longer to see what happened next before pointing a loaded gun at someone. But I wasn't there and no one was hurt and even if the guy had a legitimate reason for trying to open his door (which I can't think of) next time he won't be in a hurry to approach someone’s car. Why can't a person that is minding his own business in his car be left alone?
    PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT - Live Free or Die

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    The outcome could have been totally different had it gone a different way, someone could've seen what happened and called 9-1-1 for MWAG, the suspect could've called 9-1-1 and had charges filed against the OP (isn't that something a person with innocent intentions would do?), the suspect could've entered the vehicle and assaulted/robbed/murdered the man and then stolen his vehicle. We can coulda/shoulda/woulda all day long. We all have our opinion about when a gun should be drawn/brandished, and each state surely has their's, perhaps we should just respect that?
    apparently the door doesnt swing both ways in this situation?....after-all...isnt that something that an innocent person who feels they were threatened with great bodily harm or death would do?...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    apparently the door doesnt swing both ways in this situation?....after-all...isnt that something that an innocent person who feels they were threatened with great bodily harm or death would do?...
    You're right. Most state laws permit you to not only protect your life, but your property as well. I'm not sure why some posters are basically saying that you can only defend your life. Well that is certainly each person's choice to decide whether they will allow someone to take their property.

Even if that's the case, perhaps it might've been a good idea to call and report the incident. Shoulda/coulda/woulda now though. :)

VIP Member
    That is very misleading, NIS350. There are VERY limited situations where you can use deadly force to protect property. Even when it is legal, is it morally justified to kill someone over "stuff?" To my mind, the answer to that is almost certainly a resounding No.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    So am i correct in assuming that if someone broke the window and was trying to grab you that you're going to think, hmmm... should I or shouldn't I use my gun? Without going to extremes such as Rambo vs. sheep, mindset is I believe the most important factor in most defensive situations.
    Mindset is the most important. There may or may not be multiple possible responses. Hopefully if given a choice--a big if with this sort of scenario-- I'd be able to use a less than lethal one.

I'm just trying to point out that a gun may not be the one and only option available.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    That is very misleading, NIS350. There are VERY limited situations where you can use deadly force to protect property. Even when it is legal, is it morally justified to kill someone over "stuff?" To my mind, the answer to that is almost certainly a resounding No.
    We're getting off topic, however: That's assuming that you know someone's intentions are only to take your stuff, and not also your life. I don't read minds.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    . I had observed an individual loitering at the corner across from the bank and then parked curbside in front of the bank.In front of the bank on the steps another person is sitting there.I stay in the car watching the guy on the steps and looking in the mirror to check on the guy on the corner.I leave the car running,windows up,doors locked.About a minute after I park the guy on the steps gets up and is coming my direction dqwn the sidewalk. ... He said something to the guy on the corner and they scatter like cockroaches under a bright light.
    You sat and waited, not doing anything? I can see two possibilities:

Johns looking for homosexual sex will sometimes park near people they hope are homosexual prostitutes and act much like you are describing what you did. (Took me a while to figure out what was going on, back when I first ran into it.)

Second possibility, he thought you were looking for drugs.

Still, him reaching for the door handle... Could be he thought you were a sale, one way or the other, and he intended to press the issue. I think you were premature in acting, and he was stupid. OTOH, I was not there, you were.

Being allowed to carry a concealed firearm about your person is an awesome responsibility. If you abuse it, eventually it will be taken away from you.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

He was contemplating going to college next year and he wanted to ask your advice. His career as a rapper was cut short.
    "He's a goooooooddddd boy".
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Being allowed to carry a concealed firearm about your person is an awesome responsibility. If you abuse it, eventually it will be taken away from you.
    What? I didn't see anything wrong. Was th OP to wait until he was jacked to respond? He didn't shoot.
    If there is a problem, I don't see it.

What would an off duty cop have done?

VIP Member
    Off duty cop speaking here...

I would have called it in to the non-emergency number if I had reasonable suspicion that there was impending criminal activity. If the "suspicious" man approached my car before on-duty units arrived, I would have given clear verbal and physical signals ("get out of here, NOW") to the guy, while securing a good grip on my (still concealed and holstered) pistol. Had he ignored these and reached for my door handle (without displaying a weapon or the ability to enter my locked car), I would have drawn while keeping the pistol down and out of sight, while re-issuing my commands. Had the man really attempted to force his way in (and displayed the means to do so) or produced a weapon, I would have to make the decision based on the totality of the circumstances what level of force I would use to prevent the attack. Hands on skills are always on the table, as is using the pistol as a bludgeon, as is any number of other options. Putting the gun in his face is relatively far down the list.

After the fact, I would have reported this attempt on my life that required me to present the use of deadly force (assuming, of course, that I reasonably felt that I was in imminent threat of death or grave bodily injury...
    Last edited by OPFOR; January 4th, 2011 at 11:12 PM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    We're getting off topic, however: That's assuming that you know someone's intentions are only to take your stuff, and not also your life. I don't read minds.
    I assume by that remark, you draw down on anyone who looks at you sideways, or anyone near you who looks like he's "up to no good".

Note: The person in question didn't make any overt attempt to take any of the OP's "stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    So am i correct in assuming that if someone broke the window and was trying to grab you that you're going to think, hmmm... should I or shouldn't I use my gun? Without going to extremes such as Rambo vs. sheep, mindset is I believe the most important factor in most defensive situations.
    Didn't scenario is a different scenario.

We aren't discussing a situation where someone broke your car window and is trying to grab you.

Good job burning that stawman down, in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I assume by that remark, you draw down on anyone who looks at you sideways, or anyone near you who looks like he's "up to no good".
    This thread isn't about me, but no, I don't.

To use your words, 'we aren't discussing a situation where' someone looked at someone else sideways or someone near someone else looked like they were up to no good.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Note: The person in question didn't make any overt attempt to take any of the OP's "stuff".
    In your opinion.

And with that, I'm finished with the thread. Good day gentlemen.

B94
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Off duty cop speaking here...

I would have called it in to the non-emergency number if I had reasonable suspicion that there was impending criminal activity. If the "suspicious" man approached my car before on-duty units arrived, I would have given clear verbal and physical signals ("get out of here, NOW") to the guy, while securing a good grip on my (still concealed and holstered) pistol. Had he ignored these and reached for my door handle (without displaying a weapon or the ability to enter my locked car), I would have drawn while keeping the pistol down and out of sight, while re-issuing my commands. Had the man really attempted to force his way in (and displayed the means to do so) or produced a weapon, I would have to make the decision based on the totality of the circumstances what level of force I would use to prevent the attack. Hands on skills are always on the table, as is using the pistol as a bludgeon, as is any number of other options. Putting the gun in his face is relatively far down the list.

After the fact, I would have reported this attempt on my life that required me to present the use of deadly force (assuming, of course, that I felt that I had reasonably felt in imminent threat of death or grave bodily injury...
    While I'm not an Off duty cop +1
    PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT - Live Free or Die

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Links