"You da man,you da man!"

This is a discussion on "You da man,you da man!" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MadMac Yeah, this is a real hoot, isn't it? Use your handgun to scare off some bum, and watch him run. Ha. ...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "You da man,you da man!"

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Yeah, this is a real hoot, isn't it? Use your handgun to scare off some bum, and watch him run. Ha. Ha. He probably peed his pants. Ha, ha, ha....

Why not use it to scare the kiddies on Halloween, or wave it around at guys who give you the finger when you're driving while your at it? That'll show them who's "da man".

/yes, that was sarcasm

Yup, sure is; in fact I'd say it's friggin hilarious!

You just assume the guy was a bum, and again you just assume the guy was gonna ask for cash..... You assume way to much from the stuff you read on this forum my friend. Bottom line. The best defense, is a awesome offense, have you ever heard of that before. And for the record, If I even think the pooh is about to fly, I'll take the first swing in a heartbeat as that's usually the deciding factor in just about any altercation involving a couple of adult males in any kind of violent act. Been suckered once in my lifetime, and woke up in the hospital; if I can help it, it wont happen again. Just to clarify, I don't give a hoot what some cat on the internet thinks of my tact.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    And for the record, If I even think the pooh is about to fly, I'll take the first swing in a heartbeat... Just to clarify, I don't give a hoot what some cat on the internet thinks of my tact.
    Maybe not, but you may very well care what a jury thinks of your aggravated assault...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

LOL! Not a chance....... I'm slicker than that.... Like I said if I suspect it's about to go I'll go first.. Not that I will assault an innocent party, Quit twisting statements to fit your post there pal..

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

IMO the OP did great. It varies from state to state, but many that have Castle laws extend coverage to your auto/RV. The guy was attempting to unlawfully enter his "castle".

Those of you giving him grief for pulling... put yourselves in his shoes but change the location from a car to your home. Now say someone has tried to verbally engage you through a closed glass door. You ignore them and they start fiddling with the door trying to gain entry. What would you do?

Only armchair quarterbacking I would suggest is maybe a phone call to the non-emergency police line after the guy bailed.

I don't give a hoot what some cat on the internet thinks of my tact.
    I am sure that's a fact. Although, if what someone posts is actually what they believe, it allows others to gain insights into their maturity level. It's the same kind of assement a jury would make when determining guilt or innocence.

I always love reading posts from Internet Tough Guys (ITGs).

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal21 View Post
    Those of you giving him grief for pulling... put yourselves in his shoes but change the location from a car to your home. Now say someone has tried to verbally engage you through a closed glass door. You ignore them and they start fiddling with the door trying to gain entry. What would you do?
    The OP said he had the car running, windows up, and doors locked. If the person approaching his car attempts to open it, he will find it locked. If the driver then motions for the creep to move along, and they do, end of story. If he tries to force entry into the vehicle, then the situation changes.

No one said not to have your gun ready, but to point it at someone's head is too close to the line for me. I would want some serious damage to my car door/window/windshield before I pointed a gun at someone. Even if he pulled a knife out, I can floor the car (into another car if necessary) to easliy avoid an "attack". A gun would precipitate a different response. That's just me.

A jury isn't going to believe you needed to kill a guy simply because you claim he tried to open your door - and it was locked. It's the same reason I cannot shoot someone for rattling the door knobs on my home. They may very well be a burglar, rapist, or killer looking for an open door, but I won't be able to convince a jury I needed to kill them simply for having fingerprints on my door. I won't point my loaded weapon at someone without fear of grave bodily harm. I don't see that in the OP.

My opinion only. YMMV.

VIP Member
    LOL! Not a chance....... I'm slicker than that.... Like I said if I suspect it's about to go I'll go first.. Not that I will assault an innocent party, Quit twisting statements to fit your post there pal..
    If you were half as slick as you think you are, you'd LEAVE when you thought the situation was getting potentially violent.

And I didn't twist anything at all - those are your exact words. If you think you can beat someone because you "think" that something might be happening, you are sorely mistaken from a legal (and moral, really,) standpoint.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Brandishing in Iowa is covered in the code thusly (bolded print mine):

(1) "Brandishing a dangerous weapon" means the display or
    exhibition of a dangerous weapon, with the intent to use, intimidate,
    or threaten another person without justification, or the actual use
    of the dangerous weapon in a manner which is intended to or does
    cause serious injury or death without justification.
    If one of two "actors" is working on opening my car door after I have refused to roll it down for him so he can beg money, threaten me with a knife, try to carjack the vehicle, or whatever he has in mind... I think that might be justified.

Someone could have seen it all unfold, as previously stated, and report it to 911. If LEO should arrive, I will gladly explain the events to him. But the chances of anyone seeing into my vehicle (a pickup truck) and seeing my hand with a handgun pointed at the BG, through the tinted rear window, the seats, etc. is unlikely.

I would expect LEO to be a reasonable person, who otherwise may have had reports of similar incidents from the area where it occured, or at various locations around the town.

I think the OP did okay, I think I would have tried to move the vehicle instead but if traffic density did make that feasible, I might have done the same. My doors are locked anyway, so he ain't gettin' in... I might make a call, 911, before going to the gun.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Wink wouldashouda

To read these posts it almost seems to some that I shot this guy. I took the advantage and gained control of the situation. I didn't know his intentions and didn't want to find them out either. Should I have waited for him to pull a gun,or pull something out his pocket and bust my glass and enter?Once in the car and Castle Doctrine would be the law.I didn't want the situation to progress that far.
    As for pointing what he would see as only a towel or newspaper,I doubt that would stop one intent and possibly drugged from going further.Floor it and crash into heavy traffic.....no.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    If one of two "actors" is working on opening my car door after I have refused to roll it down for him so he can beg money, threaten me with a knife, try to carjack the vehicle, or whatever he has in mind... I think that might be justified.
    That is all speculation. The imagination runs wild. Reality is he was probably a bum looking for money. Until he tried to force his way into the car I would not draw my gun.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    To read these posts it almost seems to some that I shot this guy.
    Pointing a loaded gun at someone is one little flinch of your index finger away from shooting them. A gun is a tool of last resort. It's NOT a tool to "gain control of the situation". I don't know the intentions of ANYONE I meet on the street, but that doesn't give me a legal (or moral) right to pull a gun on them to "take the advantage and gain control of the situation." Yes, I would have waited for them to break the glass or display a firearm before using mine. If they get the drop on me, then that's how it plays out. For better or worse, your gun is a defensive weapon ONLY, not a tactical one to "control the situation." You came here with your "smiley face" post to boast about scaring the crap out of a local citizen with your firearm who (as far as anyone knows) was only seeking to engage you in conversation. That's not a killing offense.

If you could cite me some legal precedent for your actions, I'd be interested in reading it.

Had the bum called the cops on you, and a bystander had perchance seen the encounter, you'd likely be in jail now, IMNSHO.

IANAL, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. These posts only represent my opinion.

I didn't know his intentions and didn't want to find them out either. Should I have waited for him to pull a gun,or pull something out his pocket and bust my glass and enter?Once in the car and Castle Doctrine would be the law.I didn't want the situation to progress that far.
    You didn't know his intentions and assumed they were bad intentions. Until he displayed some indication that his intentions were in fact bad you were wrong for brandishing. Do you brandish at every panhandler on the street since they could have the same bad intentions?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One suggestion, OP...

Space Key!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I am sure that's a fact. Although, if what someone posts is actually what they believe, it allows others to gain insights into their maturity level. It's the same kind of assement a jury would make when determining guilt or innocence.

I always love reading posts from Internet Tough Guys (ITGs).
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    If you were half as slick as you think you are, you'd LEAVE when you thought the situation was getting potentially violent.

And I didn't twist anything at all - those are your exact words. If you think you can beat someone because you "think" that something might be happening, you are sorely mistaken from a legal (and moral, really,) standpoint.
    LOL! Couple of school boys huh...! Sorry fella's, I have no time for your drivel. One's an attorney, the other's Dr. Phil. Yeah okay then.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    To read these posts it almost seems to some that I shot this guy. I took the advantage and gained control of the situation. I didn't know his intentions and didn't want to find them out either. Should I have waited for him to pull a gun,or pull something out his pocket and bust my glass and enter?Once in the car and Castle Doctrine would be the law.I didn't want the situation to progress that far.
    As for pointing what he would see as only a towel or newspaper,I doubt that would stop one intent and possibly drugged from going further.Floor it and crash into heavy traffic.....no.
    you presented your gun as a lethal threat...did you contact the police to report the incident?....that should be enough for you to realize that you may have gone too far...if it wasnt worth reporting there wasnt a crime...or do you think its wise to allow someone you viewed as a serious threat to go away without contacting the police?....

and gottabekidding...youve gotta be...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links