"You da man,you da man!" - Page 3

"You da man,you da man!"

This is a discussion on "You da man,you da man!" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MadMac You have your windows up, doors locked, car running, and, according to you, traffic around the area is heavy. Doubtful you ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You have your windows up, doors locked, car running, and, according to you, traffic around the area is heavy. Doubtful you would be facing someone trying to murder or assault you on a busy street in the middle of the day. Probably just a street hustler looking to beg for money.

The gun display was unnecessary. Keep your gun handy, but avoid pointing it at people who have not assaulted you or confronted you with serious harm/deadly force.
    So, basically you're saying let them get the jump on you by being the first one to present your defense before you ever try to position yourself to defend yourself..... Great advice there mac. Did you read the part about the guy coming from down the street to his vehicle? What do you think the guy was gonna do, ask him for a light.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Pistola, He never threatened you!! All you did was commit a crime. Assault with a Dangerous Weapon. You are lucky the police were not called. I bet you would of been spending the night in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    you presented your gun as a lethal threat...did you contact the police to report the incident?....that should be enough for you to realize that you may have gone too far...if it wasnt worth reporting there wasnt a crime...or do you think its wise to allow someone you viewed as a serious threat to go away without contacting the police?....

and gottabekidding...youve gotta be...
    Yeah some what, just kinda playing with those two, slow day at the office. But IMO the OP did not necessarily cross the line. He should have waved the guy away and if the persisted he should have tried to evade, but it's really a had to be there kinda thing IMO. The demeanor of the guy and other variables would need to be evaluated before deploying the firearm. Either way, to many folks try to armchair every situation like it's a one size fits all thing and those folks IMO don't have a clue how to deal with self defense on the wide spectrum. There's a lot to take in, and in a short amount of time for these guys to try to critique every detail like some of um do is kinda comical really. Makes me wonder if they have ever even seen any kind of of real danger in their life.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    No, not a lawyer, just a cop who would have you in cuffs before you could finshish whining "but I THOUGHT he was gonna hit me, like that other guy did that one time...wahhh."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    So, basically you're saying let them get the jump on you by being the first one to present your defense before you ever try to position yourself to defend yourself..... Great advice there mac. Did you read the part about the guy coming from down the street to his vehicle? What do you think the guy was gonna do, ask him for a light.
    having your gun at low ready will beat any gun out of concealment...

coming from down the street?...yeah..they were probably watching him watch them and decided to approach him to confer about whatever...i dont buy the afternoon traffic was too heavy either after watching him come all the way down the street...it sounds like more of an opportunity to draw a firearm than to actually protect oneself...and then post it with a sense of pride for scaring the crap out of someone...

Sure did. The OP (according to his own account) was not assaulted, threatened with assault, nor physically threatened in any way. You, nor I, not the OP had any idea what his intentions were. We are not LEOs and cannot use our weapons to "take the advantage and manage the situation."

Please show me the case law where a private citizen can threaten someone with a deadly weapon based on where they were walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    That is all speculation. The imagination runs wild. Reality is he was probably a bum looking for money. Until he tried to force his way into the car I would not draw my gun.
    From the OP:
    He then blades himself with his left arm out of sight and starts to reach for my car door handle
    I might have waited until I heard him work the handle... But his intent certainly seemed to be to get into the car, I would have waited the extra few 10ths of a second to make sure, but then, I too, might have pointed at him.

As far as brandishing to any and all street urchins... no, and the OP made no indication that this was routine for him... Further, OP doesn't give a good description of the two bums... what might appear to us (in our mind's eyes) to be just your run of the mill down-and-out-winos/druggies/what have you, might have been slightly more ominous appearing to the OP.

So let's assume they were... maybe a couple of carjackers working in unison... Your attention is focused on the one trying to get into your passenger door, the other approaches your side of the car (now at your back) and within less than 2 seconds, he's in your car at your throat with a knife.

The hidden side of the "bladed" BG contains what? a knife? a gun? For all who would do nothing, and claim that the OP is over reacting, you weren't there. Oh, and maybe they were undercover LEOs trying to warn you away from a potential situation? C'mon...

Look at the scene presented as though it was you and you percieved a threat. How would you react? Given these facts:

• 2 guys, one is across the street.
    • One is reaching for your door handle after you would not roll down the window.
    • He is concealing something from you on his other side as he is reaching for the door handle of your car.
    • Traffic is heavy enough that you cannot re-enter the flow without risking a wreck.
    • You are in a car with the windows rolled up... (If you were in a parking lot, on foot, you might be able to use a "command voice" and tell him to back off, get away from you, but that won't work here)...

Remember the Tueller drill... you have 1.5 seconds or less to respond.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Yeah some what, just kinda playing with those two. But IMO the OP did not necessarily cross the line. He should have waved the guy away and if the persisted he should have tried to evade, but it's really a had to be there kinda thing IMO. The demeanor of the guy and other variables would need to be evaluated before deploying the firearm. Either way, to many folks try to armchair every situation like it's a one size fits all thing and those folks IMO don't have a clue how to deal with self defense on the wide spectrum. There's a lot to take in, and in a short amount of time for these guys to try to critique every detail like some of um do is kinda comical really. Makes me wonder if they have ever even seen any kind of of real danger in their life.
    but you have to admit...armchairing or not...this was an extreme misuse of a gun defensively and could have goten the op into serious trouble...

For you all experts in reading comprehension that dont understand that someone grabbing the handle of your car door is not only poor manners but a threat to your well being, it would appear to me that the OP did exactly what he needed to do to avoid a nasty situation.

And it worked.

In this part of the country, conduct like that would get your tail shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Slynchee View Post
    Pistola, He never threatened you!! All you did was commit a crime. Assault with a Dangerous Weapon. You are lucky the police were not called. I bet you would of been spending the night in jail.
    I'll go tell the dirtbag I'm sorry and turn myself in.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    For you all experts in reading comprehension that dont understand that someone grabbing the handle of your car door is not only poor manners but a threat to your well being, it would appear to me that the OP did exactly what he needed to do to avoid a nasty situation.

And it worked.

So you're saying if I walked up to your car and I put my hand on your door handle in an effort to talk to you... you'd shoot me???
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    but you have to admit...armchairing or not...this was an extreme misuse of a gun defensively and could have goten the op into serious trouble...
    Yes sir I'll concede that fact for sure...... I'd never pull my firearm unless I intend to use it... It just gets me how Mac and a couple others assume so much from such a small amount of text and in turn try make posters look so foolish. There's always a better way to do most things in most cases, but without being there in person and being able to evaluate the situation as it happened is beyond the scope of a couple of these guys but it doesn't stop um for placing blame here and there and then resorting to name calling. Very unprofessional IMO like the goof below.

VIP Member
    To get away from gottabe's chest thumping and admissions of intent to commit criminal acts and back to the OP:

It's hard to say FOR SURE if, or how far, the line was crossed between good SA and criminality. There are always "intangibles" in every situation that are hard to articulate, but that you can see and "feel" when you're actually in the situation. I understand that very well... However, we MUST be able to articulate why we did something when it comes to a grand jury/trial, and those "intangibles" are very often lost in translation. I won't make a final judgment on the OPs actions. I will, however, state from my experience that, were he on a witness stand, he would be having a hard time (based only on the story as related) articulating why a reasonable person would have pointed a gun at the guy...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post

And it worked.

Excellent point GB!

So you're saying if I walked up to your car and I put my hand on your door handle in an effort to talk to you... you'd shoot me???
    Lemme put it simple so that you can understand.

Dont start any crap and there wont be any.

I'm in traffic, you walk up to me in the middle of the road, in traffic and try to open my door?
    Figure it out. If you are smart enough to back off, you'll be OK. Persist and look down the barrel of my .45.

Thats easy enough for you isnt it?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links