"You da man,you da man!" - Page 4

"You da man,you da man!"

This is a discussion on "You da man,you da man!" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pistola To read these posts it almost seems to some that I shot this guy. I took the advantage and gained control ...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    To read these posts it almost seems to some that I shot this guy. I took the advantage and gained control of the situation. I didn't know his intentions and didn't want to find them out either. Should I have waited for him to pull a gun,or pull something out his pocket and bust my glass and enter?Once in the car and Castle Doctrine would be the law.I didn't want the situation to progress that far.
    As for pointing what he would see as only a towel or newspaper,I doubt that would stop one intent and possibly drugged from going further. Floor it and crash into heavy traffic.....no.
    Sure it would if once the intent were more certain the little thing your finger goes on were to be squeezed toward the back.
    The problem with what you did is that you did it without knowing the intent, without seeing a weapon, without hearing a verbalized threat. You did not know if there was ability. You being safely in your car and not seeing a gun, didn't know if there was opportunity. And without both, you could only guess that you were in jeopardy--- a jeopardy which perhaps you could have escaped by putting the car in drive, though for discussion sake I'll take your word that you couldn't move.

Someone else pointed it out this could have been an undercover officer about to warn you of danger instead of an attempted car jacking. By using a towel or newspaper to keep your gun concealed, you would have remained safe, retained the initiative to fire first if absolutely necessary, and avoided any appearance of brandishing, threatening, assaulting, etc.

Andrews Holsters makes a nice "car jack" holster. I don't happen to own one, but if I were inclined to worry about being car jacked, that holster with some cover garment over it would be a great thing to have.

BTW, OT, I like your avatar.

It's almost like some of these guys have never heard of a car jacking or something....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

It's almost like some of these guys have never heard of a car jacking or something....
    I think you're right.
    I also think some of them are living in la-la land.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    Lemme put it simple so that you can understand.

Dont start any crap and there wont be any.

I'm in traffic, you walk up to me in the middle of the road, in traffic and try to open my door?
    Figure it out. If you are smart enough to back off, you'll be OK. Persist and look down the barrel of my .45.

Thats easy enough for you isnt it?
    Wull geezers let me thank about that fur a while. I has trubel understand'in stuff like dis.

Hey pal...I quoted your original quote...if it sounds stupid look within.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Totality of the situation cannot be determined from the initial post, a lot is lost in translation from the actual occurence to text description.

In my mind, as I see it, I think the OP was prudent in the brandishing of his firearm. It is possible that he commited a crime in so doing, but unlikely. There would have to be a victim. Who's the victim in the OP? The guy reaching for your car door? I don't think so.

Nope, if I feel threatened by the actions of another (depending entirely on the situation and possible reasonable alternatives) I don't see a problem in demonstrating that the other's victim selection criteria need to be altered.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    I'm sure that a lot of it has to do with location. As always, what may fly in one place ,may not in another.

If one feels threatened, one must do what they must do.

In this case it seems to have worked.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Totality of the situation cannot be determined from the initial post, a lot is lost in translation from the actual occurence to text description.

In my mind, as I see it, I think the OP was prudent in the brandishing of his firearm. It is possible that he commited a crime in so doing, but unlikely. There would have to be a victim. Who's the victim in the OP? The guy reaching for your car door? I don't think so.

Nope, if I feel threatened by the actions of another (depending entirely on the situation and possible reasonable alternatives) I don't see a problem in demonstrating that the other's victim selection criteria need to be altered.
    Geez, when I took my CHP class, we had to spend several hours studying the law. I got 100% on my test. I cannot use my firearm to threaten, cajole, intimidate, "convince", deter, or anything else other than as a last response to the direct threat of death or grave bodily harm.You really think you have the right to wave or point your pistol at someone when every YOU feel "threatened"?

The OP didn't claim the guy yanked up on his door handle, and he wasn't sitting in traffic. He was parked at the curb, and sensibly had his windows up and doors locked. The potential perp in this case may have made a move for the handle (according to the OP), but where I live, I am not legally justified to help deter Mr Impolite with the threat of deadly force.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    It's almost like some of these guys have never heard of an interation between two people that didn't end up in a gunfight...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Geez, when I took my CHP class, we had to spend several hours studying the law. I got 100% on my test. I cannot use my firearm to threaten, cajole, intimidate, "convince", deter, or anything else other than as a last response to the direct threat of death or grave bodily harm.You really think you have the right to wave or point your pistol at someone when every YOU feel "threatened"?

The OP didn't claim the guy yanked up on his door handle, and he wasn't sitting in traffic. He was parked at the curb, and sensibly had his windows up and doors locked. The potential perp in this case may have made a move for the handle (according to the OP), but where I live, I am not legally justified to help deter Mr Impolite with the threat of deadly force.
    Me too, in fact everyone in our class got a 100%... But then, the answers were given before the test was handed in....

Your definition of "threatened" apparently differs from mine. Again, this shows the weakness of the written word. Some might feel threatened if anyone was within "Tueller distance." Others might not feel threatened with a gun drawn and pointed at them... You'll note that I qualified my statement with "(depending entirely on the situation and reasonable alternatives)."

I also stated earlier that I might have waited until I heard him try to lift the latch. But let's not forget his accomplice across the street, what's he doing right now?

The point here is that you are not putting yourself in the shoes of the OP... Let me put it this way Mac: If you felt there was an iminent threat of grave bodily injury or death in the OP's scenario, would you have drawn your gun?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The point here is that you are not putting yourself in the shoes of the OP... Let me put it this way Mac: If you felt there was an iminent threat of grave bodily injury or death in the OP's scenario, would you have drawn your gun?
    You had the answers before the test? Dang, I had to actually study the material. You must have had your test at a public school.

I am not sure I understand the question, but if I can answer succinctly, then yes, if grave bodily harm or iminent death are on the menu, the gun comes into play.

What does it matter what this guy's "partner" is up to? How did you determine before the incident they were partners? A guess or supposition? Does the fact you think he has an accomplice make it more defensible to pull out a gun to "deter" a potential crime from unknown persons?

Say the guy is trying to carjack you right next to a bank with all kinds of cameras in the middle of the day, and will try to escape by pulling into busy traffic (as explained by the OP). Say you sense this, shoot the guy through the glass as he is reaching into his coat and pulling on your door handle, while his "partner" runs up to the car. He drops to the pavement, but the glass deflected your shot and he only has a superficial injury. You go to court. It turns out he was unarmed, or only had a small knife in an inner pocket. I guarantee, no matter what you claim, your life is over. You will be going to prison, and you may be sued out of everything you own.

Are you willing to risk all that over what you suppose could happen?

...and to the OP's comment about not considering crashing his truck/car - if I had the option of avoiding a violent assault by blasting my car into other cars or pulling out my gun to attempt to kill the assailant, I would opt for the car as a defensive weapon every time. You can easily replace metal, rubber, and chrome.

"When your only tool is a hammer...."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Sticky situation because you don't know what is going on; but it appears to be inappropriate brandishing on your part.

OTOH, had he pointed a gun after having bladed his stance you would have been in a DATD situation--and that is never good.

In another thread I mentioned that I keep a towel in the car to use to avoid unintentional display. This is a situation where a towel or newspaper would have allowed you to point at the guy without him knowing. His next move would have decided his fate AND YOURS.
    DATD?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    It's almost like some of these guys have never heard of an interaction between two people that didn't end up in a gunfight...
    Dang dude are you done yet? Oh, I fixed that for ya.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i guess i'll go back to one of my previous points...if a crime was being commited and the op discouraged it wehy didnt he report it?...

"this time it seemed to work out"...a theme on this site...if a guy sees someone he thinks is suspicious 200 yards away and evades them the response is always "good job. the fact that you are here proves what you did worked"...news for everyone...if you go around pinting guns at people they are probably gonna run away...so youll be safe until a police officer cuffs you and takes you away...

you believe a crime was being commited and you threatened retaliation with potential deadly force...but it wasnt worth reporting?...yet it was worth bragging about here...cause your gun saved your life after you parked on the street and watched 2 guys until one of them approached you while you continued to watch all the way to the point where he reached for your door handle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    DATD?
    Draw Against The Drop (Guantes)
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Seems like a job for the Trunk Monkey

Yeah, so it's been around a while. Still cracks me up.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links