"You da man,you da man!" - Page 5

"You da man,you da man!"

This is a discussion on "You da man,you da man!" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My point still stands... If the OP saw this guy coming, instead of avoiding a potential confrontation, he welcomed one...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: "You da man,you da man!"

My point still stands... If the OP saw this guy coming, instead of avoiding a potential confrontation, he welcomed one
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Draw Against The Drop (Guantes)
    Thanks, I checked here and couldn't find it.

http://www.alumbankweb.com/cc-acronyms.htm
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Bladen... as i have said, some feel threatened in lesser situations. Some, in states that allow, open carry. Some do it as a statement, some do it as a deterrent.

Some believe that an armed society is a polite society... Granted, going around pointing guns at people willy nilly will undoubtedly get you arrested.

On the other hand, when other means have failed, and (disclaimer warning) in the right situation, demonstrating that you are prepared to defend yourself prior to the actual need, can be a prudent, life and limb saving action.

In the cases where "it worked, this time" we note that the poster is still around to post his story. We can only assume that the person by whom he was threatened did not see fit to report his own illegal activity to the police in complaining about a man wielding a handgun... Why would that be?

Even experts in self defense law have said that what some here consider brandishing, simple display of a weapon on the hip for example, has acted as a deterrent.

I don't advocate pointing a weapon at anyone, unless one feels threatened. My definition of threatened, may differ from others, but I believe myself to be a "reasonable man" You won't find me pointing my weapon at someone because they are 21 feet away from me, and I don't like the way they look.

On the other hand, if they are less than 4 feet away from me, trying to get into my car (as evinced by their trying to work the latch), hiding something behind them, I might very well point it at them, especially if I have given every other indication that I want no further interaction with them.

You do what you do, I'll do what I do... I'm not intent on breaking any laws, losing my permit, or showing anybody I'm a bigger man than he. I am only interested in protecting myself.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    most people do blade there body and leave a hand behind them when they reach for a door handle...many even do it when entering their home...i dont recall anything being hidden behind the man as he hurriedly left the scene...

the guy who the gun was pointed at didnt call the police...he was probably scared
    my theory..take it for what its worth...

op spots some "suspicious" looking guys and decides hes gonna play private eye...parks and keeps an eye on them...while he thinks hes invisible they are watching him...not uncommon in drug country for a car to pull up and wait for a dealer to approach...the guy decides the car is there for a deal and approaches it...signals for the parked car to roll the window down but is denied by the op...who by now is wondering what he got himself into and instead of warning the guy off just shakes his head but has drawn his gun in preparation while he watched the guy approach...i dont believe the afternoon traffic excuse....the guy approaches the door of the car to open it and deal..and ends up with a gun in his face...surprised he wanders off stating "you da man"...and pumps an ego further...no horn blown to draw attention...brandished a gun but did not report the incident...but its ok becasue the other guy didnt call either?....if a tree falls in the woods and there is nobody there to hear it does it still make a sound?...
    Last edited by HotGuns; December 22nd, 2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: language workaround

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Dang dude are you done yet? Oh, I fixed that for ya.
    Thanks. You probably beat my "c" to death because you thought he was going to start some unspecified "thing", at some unspecified time in the future. Well done.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Question Welcomed ???

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    My point still stands... If the OP saw this guy coming, instead of avoiding a potential confrontation, he welcomed one
    How many times do I need to mention the traffic was too heavy and there was no time to leave the area ?........
    Your point is mute.
    The only thing welcomed was this guys departure.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    most people do blade there body and leave a hand behind them when they reach for a door handle...many even do it when entering their home...i dont recall anything being hidden behind the man as he hurriedly left the scene...

the guy who the gun was pointed at didnt call the police...he was probably scared sh!tless...

my theory..take it for what its worth...

op spots some "suspicious" looking guys and decides hes gonna play private eye...parks and keeps an eye on them...while he thinks hes invisible they are watching him...not uncommon in drug country for a car to pull up and wait for a dealer to approach...the guy decides the car is there for a deal and approaches it...signals for the parked car to roll the window down but is denied by the op...who by now is wondering what he got himself into and instead of warning the guy off just shakes his head but has drawn his gun in preparation while he watched the guy approach...i dont believe the afternoon traffic excuse....the guy approaches the door of the car to open it and deal..and ends up with a gun in his face...surprised he wanders off stating "you da man"...and pumps an ego further...no horn blown to draw attention...brandished a gun but did not report the incident...but its ok becasue the other guy didnt call either?....if a tree falls in the woods and there is nobody there to hear it does it still make a sound?...
    In a threatened situation, we can't think of everything... honking the horn was one that had occured to me, sitting here in the warmth of my office. It may not have occured to the man behind the wheel. As to the excuse of the traffic... depending on the amount I guess, but he decided it was not in his best interest to safely leave his position.

Many here have said they would avoid situations in which they were likely to be threatened. Others have said any time, any place, anybody. The OP gives us a situation to consider. It is/was HIS situation... he handled it in the best way he could think of at the moment, under some level of duress. We, sitting here at our PCs, were not in his shoes, or in this case, parking spot. All points of view are valid, and these are mental exercises which will give us yet another bunch of ideas to process when/if the time comes.

As to the potential BG being too scared to call the cops... because he was a drug dealer? So a crime was deterred, and possibly the BG's will seek out some other area to commit their crimes... and that's a bad thing? At WORST... The OP was a bit premature in pointing his weapon. At the least, it wasn't innocents that learned that they never can tell whether John or Jane Q. might be packing and ready to defend themselves against bad things happening.

I'm not really disparaging your view of the situation... I'm merely suggesting that we look at it for what it is and put ourselves in the same situation. The OP may not have been 100% right, but he is 100% alive. We can learn from the experience, think about what we might have done, postulate our theories, and still come away with new information that we can use.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    How many times do I need to mention the traffic was too heavy and there was no time to leave the area ?........
    Your point is mute.
    The only thing welcomed was this guys departure.
    Didn't blow the horn to attract attention on this crowded thoroughfare? Didn't use the vehicle? Didn't wait for something other than someone "suspicious" potentially reaching for the door handle on a locked door? Yet you pulled a gun on them, and threatened deadly force?

Over the line. You're lucky you're not in jail tonight.

Also, the word is "moot", not mute.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Thanks. You probably beat my "c" to death because you thought he was going to start some unspecified "thing", at some unspecified time in the future. Well done.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Didn't blow the horn to attract attention on this crowded thoroughfare? Didn't use the vehicle? Didn't wait for something other than someone "suspicious" potentially reaching for the door handle on a locked door? Yet you pulled a gun on them, and threatened deadly force?

Use the vehicle? In what way, to escape, cause a accident and be liable for that? Or towards the sidewalk or badguy? That's not assault? No means of reatreat without endangering the safety of the OP... If you cannot retreat... and you feel in jeapordy of your life or the possibility of grave bodily injury, self defense is legal and acceptable.

To honk the horn may have been like staying on the phone with 911 while you are being beaten to death. It could have acted as a deterrent, but maybe not. You and I agree more often than not, Mac... but here you are making the case for what the OP did.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'm sure that a lot of it has to do with location. As always, what may fly in one place ,may not in another.

If one feels threatened, one must do what they must do.

In this case it seems to have worked.
    Agreed. I am sure it sent red flags waving for the OP. And don't forget that many times it's the presence of a weapon that thwarts crime. The OP is safe, the dummy got the message, mission accomplished.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    You da man! I don't care what anyone says. You have every right to sit in your car and not be harassed. I agree with advoiding trouble when ever possibile but in some situtations you need to stand up for yourself. It's not like you went looking for it. Hopefully that scumbag learned his lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

here we got a lawyer , check in your law book this forcible felony

Quote Originally Posted by Jetplane19 View Post
    Everything I've read has taught me that after the gun comes out, he who calls 9-1-1 first is the good guy. Did you call? If not, someone sitting in their car behind you could've seen it all unfold through your rear window - and made the phone call. You're in front of a bank, so I can envision any 9-1-1 call causing a Hollywood-style 15 police cars swoop down on you from all directions.

I don't know what I would have done. But just kicking around the 9-1-1 thing since nobody has yet.
    Glad you are safe and good SA!
    +1
    I wondered this myself.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan23 View Post
    here we got a lawyer , check in your law book this forcible felony
    If you read my initial post, I specifically stated 1) I am not a lawyer, and 2) these are only my opinions.

That said, your Lordship, I didn't see anything in the OP about forcible entry. He states the person in question "started to reach for my car door handle." That's the money quote. The OP then pulls his gun and points it at the person. As far I can tell from his admittedly sketchy description of the encounter, he's not being "harrassed", threatened, or the victim of a forcible entry. His car door was locked, and even if the guy pulls the handle, he would find the door locked. He didn't claim his door handle was even touched.

Explain to a jury how that's "forcible entry or a felony".

I guess your law book definition of "forcible entry" is different from everyone elses'.

He feels it's threatening enough a situation to point a weapon at someone, but not threatening enough to notify the authorities. Interesting. He does, however, take time to come here and boast about using his weapon to threaten deadly force on some pedestrian he thinks may have bad intent. On a busy street. In front of a bank. In the middle of the day.

Even a bunch of good old boys on a jury down here would have trouble swallowing that. IN MY OPINION.

I'm not going to risk my freedom for that non-specific a "threat".

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links