Separated from family

This is a discussion on Separated from family within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was out at the mall this evening finishing up my Christmas shopping and I started running through some scary scenarios. Let me set ...

Thread: Separated from family

Separated from family

So I was out at the mall this evening finishing up my Christmas shopping and I started running through some scary scenarios. Let me set up the picture before I get into my scary scenario. I am at the mall with my wife and two kids. 13 YO daughter and 11 YO son. This is the first time I have let them go off by themselves in the mall while we shop. They both have cell phones and my daughter has pepper spray as well as a tac pen which she has practiced stabbing and jabbing with. My son is unfortunately still not mature enough to carry a defensive tool of his own. I have given the children very specific instructions on what is and isnt allowed as well as how they need to act as a unit while moving from store to store. Dont leave a store without the other and start calling as soon as one cant be found.

Everything is going well. The kids are answering when I call and they are calling if they have questions (gotta love technology sometimes...) As always I am going through scenarios while walking as it keeps my mind off the crowds and the money the wife is spending. The one that struck me tonight was if there becomes an active shooter in the mall while me and my kids are separated. I can defend myself and my wife, but now I have an unknown number of BGs between me and my kids. I couldnt even come up with a concrete plan as I hadnt yet discussed this with my kids.

My question isnt really what would you do as the variables in this scenario are too great. My question is do you have a plan? If you do what factors went into your planning process and how can one use this in different places (amusement park, museum, state fair)?
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

2. Remove Ads

Something happens, meet at the car. If the parking lot is not available, go where directed by LE or that is safe and call your (Fill in the blank, aunt, grandparent, etc that's not at your location) and tell them where you are at. That way you all can call the same place and get the locations of each other.

Personally I think that is too young to be on their own, considering the quantity and level of threats today.

To your question. Communication will be your greatest ally. First transmission always location, followed by reason.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Communication is key, have a plan then have a back up plan for the first plan that fails. Like Guantes said communication is your greatest ally.

Planning is important, but it's also impossible to plan for every possible scenario. Teaching people to think for themselves is also important...it's a plan in and of itself. We can't always be there. I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Planning is important, but it's also impossible to plan for every possible scenario. Teaching people to think for themselves is also important...it's a plan in and of itself. We can't always be there. I'm just sayin'...
    X 2 If it is necessary to go to this extreme to protect ourselves from "them"......we have already lost. It is one thing to be reasonably prepared, but it is something else to be paranoid. Every base in every possible situation cannot be covered, lets face this reality and try to be prepared for situations that we can handle and accept that sometimes we will not be in control, God will be. I cannot enjoy my life if I let "goblins" control my thoughts every free minute.
    Last edited by jwarren; December 22nd, 2010 at 07:39 PM.

I would get it into their heads that hiding in UNLIKELY places will be their first priority. If there are one or more active shooters who are on the move...have the kids find a large round clothing rack in which to hide. They are kids...they can fit into tiny nooks and crannies that adults would never think of hiding (or looking in). Avoid restrooms or dressing rooms, after all...where would YOU look for someone. A store like SEARS or PENNEY'S has appliances and furniture and other such contrivances. Though not really "cover" they would offer concealment. Get them to HIDE, HIDE WELL, and STAY PUT until the cavalry arrives. Obviously, if an active shooter is at the far end of a mall or concourse, that would be the time to have the run for an exit just as fast as their little legs could carry them, but that in an on-scene judgement.

Here in sunny Tucson, we have several malls. My daughter is seven and NEVER out of my sight at a mall yet, but I wargame it all the time when we are in a human warehouse. "What if...?"

Thankfully a mall is a big place and it is impossible for an active shooter team to cover all of it. Have them TEXT to communicate as soon as trouble jumps off. Kids can text rapidly and silently, thus not exposing their position. I mean drill it into them...quiet, calm, Daddy is on the way! You know the drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Personally I think that is too young to be on their own, considering the quantity and level of threats today.
    You're basing that on age; he's basing it on knowing how mature his daughter is. Just an example - when my oldest child was 13, she was mature enough to wander around the mall without supervision. However, my middle one is now 13 and she doesn't display nearly the amount of maturity her sister did.

Just trying to state that its more about maturity and responsibility, rather than age.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Dave,
    You are correct, I am basing it on age. Regardless of maturity, I don't believe that a 13 year old has the capacity to deal with grave encounters. There could always be an exception, but it would be an exception.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Thank you all for the responses so far. I hope to get more. Communication is always key and has to be the second priority after finding a hiding spot. Unless they are right next to an exit running for one isnt the best option I dont believe. Aside from the possibility of being trampled, if there is more than one shooter (such as a terrorist attack) they could be herding them to slaughter. I guess there really is no great plan that will set anyones mind at ease

As far as age, maturity has to play a factor. Also at 11 I was up with the sun and gone until well after dark (I am 29 for the "it was a different time argument" it wasnt that different). I would be all over a reasonable sized town/city suburb to include the mall. Was I prepared to face a grave encounter? I dunno, but it was those experiences that made me more aware today. I am not arguing parenting, but at what point do we loosen the reigns so that our kids can start to learn their own SA and come out of the protection of adults?
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Links