Something to think about

Something to think about

This is a discussion on Something to think about within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something that just dawned upon me while going through the various scenarios and reading replies: aren't we opening ourselves to potential trouble down the road? ...

Thread: Something to think about

Something to think about

Something that just dawned upon me while going through the various scenarios and reading replies: aren't we opening ourselves to potential trouble down the road? I'm referring primarily to posts where someone says: I have had a bad experience in such and such situation before where someone related to me or someone I know was a victim so I have no mercy for those committing such and such crime.

OK, for now it's all good: it's just a statement, a commentary. But what if that same exact scenario presents itself in real life? And you do end up shooting someone (not even necessarily killing the BG). Can you really claim "instinctual response" if you have been known before to make a strong statement in regards as to how to deal with that situation.

I'm not saying that scenarios should not be discussed, but I'm urging caution in how the replies are phrased to avoid potential headaches down the road.

Anything you say or write now a days can be used against you. I find it best not to write anything in an e-mail or internet forum that I wouldn't want put on the nightly news as they can be used as a legal document.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gotammo
    Anything you say or write now a days can be used against you. I find it best not to write anything in an e-mail or internet forum that I wouldn't want put on the nightly news as they can be used as a legal document.
    Ditto--twice :))
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Assistant Administrator
    We discussed pretty much this matter not long ago - and overall I'd say the concensus is that what we write has to be thought out simply because it might come back to bite us one day.

Unlikely but hardly impossible where these days internet anonymity is far from sound!

I reckon to write what I believe in and so would stand by pretty much anything I write. This is one good reason why it is hardly useful, to the self, or the image of legal permit holders, to go speaking in terms always of ''cap his a$$'' etc!

Think twice - type once Edit if necessary - but even then what has been written just might have been cached somewhere!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    type at your own risk. anything you put down can be twisted, edited and used against you. I like to think my actions in life thus far may help me if I ever need it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    We discussed pretty much this matter not long ago - and overall I'd say the concensus is that what we write has to be thought out simply because it might come back to bite us one day.
    Must have missed that one (or it fell of page 1 before I signed up ). Anyways, reason I posted this was because some of the scenarios discussed recently had some strongly worded opinions/advice and I wanted to make people think twice about what and how they say

I've read some discussion on this Forum about strong statements being made on-line, and a few were of the opinion that it would be very unlikely that any such thing would ever come up in court.

But lately, it seems that just about every high-profile investigation you hear on the news makes mention of computers being seized and searched for evidence.

So, if you "say" it here, in an email, or anywhere else, it could eventually come back at you. . .

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Administrator

It would be rare and atypical/unlikely that your personal computer would be seized if the preponderance of the initial evidence pointed strongly toward any event being a legitimate self~defense incident.
    It is always good idea though to have a general life philosophy of not saying totally stupid and regretful things.

Tread softly.
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

It is absolutely true that it is very unlikely that a posting on a forum like this would ever come back to haunt you in a court of law. There is, however, a world of difference between "very unlikely" and "cannot ever happen." That difference could be enough to put you in jail. Do you really want to take the chance?

Personally, I wouldn't. I think the people who post the macho, blustering, "if anybody ever does thus and such to me I'm going to do this or that to them!" type of things are asking for trouble.

Sponsored Links