Shoot from inside your car through closed window?

This is a discussion on Shoot from inside your car through closed window? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't want to 'hijack' the other thread I read earlier, so I'll pose the question here. Setting : You are inside your own locked ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoot from inside your car through closed window?

3D [OP]

Question Shoot from inside your car through closed window?

I didn't want to 'hijack' the other thread I read earlier, so I'll pose the question here.

Setting: You are inside your own locked vehicle with the engine running and the windows up [closed]. You are in a parking space closed-in by other vehicles and blocked from a quick 'drive-away' because of traffic and manuvering required to get out of the parking space.

Because of suspicious behavior displayed by a person rapidly approaching the driver's side of my veh. while reaching for my door handle with one hand, I have unholstered my gun. When he gets directly next to my closed window he points his own gun at me with his other hand threatining to shoot if I don't open the door.

What do you do?
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Double tap, first round will shatter window providing clear path for second round.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    " he points his own gun at me with his other hand threatining to shoot if I don't open the door."

And you have a question? Side windows disintegrate, unlike windshields. Break the glass!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

3D [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    " he points his own gun at me with his other hand threatining to shoot if I don't open the door."

And you have a question? Side windows disintegrate, unlike windshields. Break the glass!
    Yes sir, I do have a question. I was taught that the side windows being tempered glass would more like 'explode' than 'disintegrate', and that I would probably be blinded by the face-full of glass I would get.

I don't know if that is true and would really like to know what that window glass will do. I understand the imminence of the threat and the urgency to act.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

What choice do you have?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Yes sir, I do have a question. I was taught that the side windows being tempered glass would more like 'explode' than 'disintegrate', and that I would probably be blinded by the face-full of glass I would get.

I don't know if that is true and would really like to know what that window glass will do. I understand the imminence of the threat and the urgency to act.
    Here is an idea. It will cost some money, but it should answer your question. Go to a junk yard, buy a piece of window glass. If funds allow, the whole door would be better. Then test the theory.

Just a thought.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

3D [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    What choice do you have?
    Well one is to roll the window down as if to talk to the guy then shoot when glass clears. Another is to open the door as he wants then shoot him when door clears.
    But you're right about not having many good options.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post

The whole window will spider but it won't necessarily all collapse. Plus shooting out of the window the muzzle blast should send most of the glass in that direction.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I'm not sure about the front/side windows. I know the rear and rear/back seat side windows will shatter like tiny diamonds upon impact. If you shot from inside, the exploding class shards will travel outward and most likely save your face and hit the BG. I was under the impression that the front windshield and the front seat side windows are shatterproof safety glass. Depending on what caliber you carry, the bullet's force will be affected to a certain degree. IMHO the greater problem in a closed car would be the noise factor from a gunshot. I could see busted ear drums and hearing loss. I think I would put on some sort of freak out act of compliance while opening the window, then take my best "shot". As was said before, there are really no good options.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I was under the impression that the front windshield and the front seat side windows are shatterproof safety glass.
    Having had a car broken into and shattering some glass in my day, everything but the windshield will shatter. But it's tempered glass and the tiny little pieces are designed not to be sharp. The front windshield is laminated glass to resist collapsing and falling apart with an impact.

I hope you're wearing some ear plugs...it's gonna' be a little loud.
    Why not just lower the window, as asked...then empty the mag.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Side window will shatter.
    Bring both hands up together. Gun hand points weapon at aggressor and fires. Off hand come up about six inches in front eyes. Still allows visual targeting of aggressor but gives some portection to eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUgsi9gQBeA
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'd shoot through the glass. Opening it gives them more time to see what's going on, and gives them the opportunity to reach into your vehicle. I've shot handguns and rifles from inside a vehicle plenty of times and it's going to be loud either way. Haven't shot through a closed window while inside, but I have shot through car windows to see what would happen. You may have a little deflection, but not enough to matter at that close range. I'd still give it a double tap to be sure.

That said, in your situation, the guy has his weapon pointed at you. You probably don't have yours pointed at him yet. Sounds risky.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

3D [OP]
    Thanks Guantes.
    Link answers that.
    I like the two hands rising together with left travelling a little further to shield eyes. That's gotta be way faster than opening the window - then firing.

3D [OP]
    You all are right about the loud. In that situation I'm choosing deaf over blind; and alive over dead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links