VIDEO: Carjacking caught on video - Page 2

VIDEO: Carjacking caught on video

This is a discussion on VIDEO: Carjacking caught on video within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I pretend she has a gun concealed. He's sprinting at her, gun out and pointed. The perp fully expoits the moment of maximum weakness ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    TVJ
    So I pretend she has a gun concealed.

He's sprinting at her, gun out and pointed.

The perp fully expoits the moment of maximum weakness for a driver entering a parked car.

A gun alone does little for her in this situation as the situation presents in the video
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Without other attributes, very true.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post

The perp fully expoits the moment of maximum weakness for a driver entering a parked car.

A gun alone does little for her in this situation as the situation presents in the video
    Very true!

Possibly, and I mean possibly had she seen him lurking as she approached her car, she could have been a little more prepared. However, this guy pounced with lightning speed with his gun at the ready. I doubt this was his first attempt.

In a case like this, had she have been armed with a gun readily accessible, her best bet may have been once they were both in the car and her being able to look for an opportune moment to surprise and kill him.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post

It's not always at the initial interaction where you make your move. It may be the place you want to. But you may have to wait for an opportunity.

And I'm with the get in and leave crowd. I work 2nd shift, alone, in a rough part of town. My routine is this. Open door scan left, look around door to right before fully exiting. Exit, lock door behind me. Put my back to the door and move from the warehouse key to the truck key. Couple steps to the truck, unlock, throw my junk in, get in, shut door, and lock with my elbow. Looking around as much as possible in the process. Have a plan to get in and leave. Or plan on keeping an eye out if you have to do anything else.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Perfect video for people who think their ready all the time, this shows you can be aware will walking to your car, but when you think it looks clear and your back is turned entering the vehicle it happens. Opportunity to act may come later, but lets talk about first engagement, anyone can get AMBUSHED, stay alert, stay alive. We can talk about the bad guy might of been visible, or maybe he was concealed, but it only took a few seconds to run up on her, then shock and disbelief freezes you before realization set in, if anyone has been in a combat, trauma, or shocking situations, you'll understand that moment when... your brain not believing your eyes.

I showed this video to my wife and she was amazed at how fast it happened. She jokingly said " We should just shoot everyone wearing a hoodie sweatshirt" because all the BG's wear them.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    He would have just been hiding in the other direction........he intended to approach her from behind.

However, if she had been armed, she could have shot the piss out him once they were in the car......I would have.
    That is true. But, he would not have been able to get to her as fast having to approach between two other cars. This may have given her a few fractions of a second more notice. Also having your car backed into a space allows you a much faster escape to safety.

I can't really tell on the video, but perhaps, had she took more time to look around before approaching her car she may have seen the BG lurking or hiding nearby. (Short of having a firearm "out & ready", better SA may have been the only way to prevent this one.)

It appears she was putting her purchases in the rear seat first, then getting into the front seat.
    She is right handed and carrying the purchases on her left side as she approachs her car, good move.
    Situational awareness dropped during her approach to the car (with remote) with trying to open it and place her packages.
    Attacker was smart to wait until she gained access to the driver door and made entry that way the fight is contained in the vehicle and less exposure to witnesses.

Wish she had been more observant during her approach but we can't tell from where in front of the Jeep Wrangler he really comes from.
    He difinently had the upper hand, even with just a knife (a guess).
    As it goes down I don't think she had a chance to resist, she probably didn't know he was there until he got right on top of her, herding her the rest of the way into the car.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    That is true. But, he would not have been able to get to her as fast having to approach between two other cars. This may have given her a few fractions of a second more notice. Also having your car backed into a space allows you a much faster escape to safety.

I can't really tell on the video, but perhaps, had she took more time to look around before approaching her car she may have seen the BG lurking or hiding nearby. (Short of having a firearm "out & ready", better SA may have been the only way to prevent this one.)
    Great observation.
    If doing this scan the car after arrival and enter quickly (or, temporaily walk past your vechile purposely to complete the scan).
    Anyone approaching then has car door between you and them.

I have no way to know but I think the perp was crouched behind the wall and the front of the Jeep Wrangler waiting for a opportuntity to happen.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I think some of you guys are fooling yourself on what is possible in terms of awareness and reaction time. I don't see any reasonable way for this woman to have reacted and stopped the carjacking.

We are all vulnerable. This can be seen with politicians and religious persons with professional, full time security details that have been shot, tripped, punched, egged, shoe-ed, bombed, heckled, or whatever.

Besides, who goes to the mall and spends the entire time there on DEFCON 5 status? One would quickly go insane and become agoraphobic - too afraid of the dangers that exist outside of your house. It is no way to live your life...

This woman did nothing wrong.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I think some of you guys are fooling yourself on what is possible in terms of awareness and reaction time. I don't see any reasonable way for this woman to have reacted and stopped the carjacking.
    Agreed! I think in this case, the best chance the woman had was to look for a moment of opportunity to counter-attack once the carjacker had her in the car. Whether that opportunity took place before the left the initial location there, or after they were already on the move depends on when an opportunity presents itself.

However, we can still learn from this situation. We all should plan for a way to counter-attack once a carjacker is already in your car and has you at gunpoint.

There are methods and techniques which can be used if a person is in that situation. Within the very close and tight confines of a car, there are many effective ways to "trap and control" the gunman's gun and arm while then attacking him with debilitating blows to throat, head, eyes or whatever. It can be very easy to tie up their arm and lock-up elbow and shoulder joints against a bucket seat which can allow you to apply leverage and break bones.

There are some good advance level classes available which deals specifically with carjacking defense including times when the carjacker is already in the car with you and has you at gunpoint. Counter-carjacking is an area I intend to spend time more on and get training on in the future.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You may not always have time to engage a threat as it materialises,this is where you can hopefully comply with the BG waiting for the moment when he drops his guard and you can then deploy your weapon and stop the threat,In this case you would have no trouble proving Self Defense due to Armed Robbery/Kidnapping
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I agree with the above posts, I don't think she was aware of him until he was on her. Nobody can react in 0.0 .
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    wow.. fast running footsteps make me look around quick, but i don't think this would have helped.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

So here was an interesting conversation I had at a Christmas party yesterday evening. All my friends are in their mid 30s, early 40s. Most of them work for Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, ATT.

I asked the women at the table what they thought of this story and whether it compelled them to consider getting a concealed weapon.

The first reaction was they were afraid their kids would get the gun and hurt themselves or others. Then they feared the gun would accidentally go off.
    Some of them stated this could never happen to them and that no one "dare" even try to steal anything from them. They even weren't ready to carry pepper spray.

Only two of the women surprisingly said they would consider getting trained and buying a CW. This of course shocked the other women.

It is surprising how perceptions are different even among the well educated. I am surprised people who have double majors don't have the common sense or see it necessary to arm themselves in some way to prevent a potential assault.
    The "It can never happen to me" attitude always intrigues me.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links