VIDEO: Carjacking caught on video

This is a discussion on VIDEO: Carjacking caught on video within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That reminds me of a couple incidents. One recently, a robbery outside some nightspot/restaurantin NY, Chicago, don't remember for sure. A young actress told the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO: Carjacking caught on video

That reminds me of a couple incidents.
    One recently, a robbery outside some nightspot/restaurantin NY, Chicago, don't remember for sure. A young actress told the one banger/robber, "What are you going to do, shoot somebody?", or something similar. He shot her.
    Another one farther back in time. An insurance broker running for mayor of a just incorporated city. Two robbers come in to rob him, he said, "Do you know who I am?". One shot him in the face and said, "Yea, you the MF I just shot, now give me the money.".
    Criminals most often do not care who you are or what your connections are, unless they (your connections) are with the mob.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    So here was an interesting conversation I had at a Christmas party yesterday evening. All my friends are in their mid 30s, early 40s. Most of them work for Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, ATT.

I asked the women at the table what they thought of this story and whether it compelled them to consider getting a concealed weapon.

The first reaction was they were afraid their kids would get the gun and hurt themselves or others. Then they feared the gun would accidentally go off.
    Some of them stated this could never happen to them and that no one "dare" even try to steal anything from them. They even weren't ready to carry pepper spray.

Only two of the women surprisingly said they would consider getting trained and buying a CW. This of course shocked the other women.

It is surprising how perceptions are different even among the well educated. I am surprised people who have double majors don't have the common sense or see it necessary to arm themselves in some way to prevent a potential assault.
    The "It can never happen to me" attitude always intrigues me.
    Man's IQ has not changed in the history of mankind. Only our capacity for learning and knowledge. A college degree has no bearing on how intelligent a person is. Only that they were able to make it through a certain curriculum. In fact, a correlation can be made for the more degree's a person acquires, the stupider they become. At least in the common sense department.

You just gave a prime example of college educated people who can not comprehend that their reasons stated for not owning a gun is not only ridiculous, but also shows a lack of thoughtful reasoning to solve simple problems. Yet I'll bet they are just whizzes in their given fields.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Fact: The BG always has the initiative. In this case the BG was smooth and fast. He never allowed her a chance to sieze the initiative or to change his plan. With the information available I think anyone, armed or not, would have been in trouble.
    Agreed.

At best she might have played possum and taken the role to _act_ passive & terrified, only to with timing delay opportunity turn the tide with gun drawn HOPEFULLY carried on her person as rather than kept & stowed (!) in her purse/bag/off body and thus odds on out of reach area.

The attacker played this move wisely giving her very little time to assess never mind react, forget about being functional as a counter attack.
    This is the streets; At 6:45AM in underground parking alone among no witnesses as she stood next to money on wheels (!) with keys in hand.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    It was quick although she did take forever to get in her car. I’m always amazed when I’m waiting for someone to get in their car to back out so I can take the parking space. Sometimes it takes a person a full 5-6 minutes to actually back out. What on earth are people doing inside their cars that take soOoo long?
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Man's IQ has not changed in the history of mankind. Only our capacity for learning and knowledge. A college degree has no bearing on how intelligent a person is. Only that they were able to make it through a certain curriculum. In fact, a correlation can be made for the more degree's a person acquires, the stupider they become. At least in the common sense department.

You just gave a prime example of college educated people who can not comprehend that their reasons stated for not owning a gun is not only ridiculous, but also shows a lack of thoughtful reasoning to solve simple problems. Yet I'll bet they are just whizzes in their given fields.
    Amen to that, I once tried to date a young lady that was so out of touch with reality that I am so glad nothing further came out of our brief relationship. The only thing that existed to her was work and Church. Everything was church, church church so I knew I had to let that go. It is not to good to get one-sided in anything. A well balanced life is a good thing to have and I am glad I have one.

Bark'n,

As part and parcel to various items I do in my private life including living within a multi-college region and town as well as working among said persons; I have to say with absolute surety that your theory of inverse correlation is _solid_ (!).

In fact this exact same observational theory comes up often in my own circles....Followed typically by statements of; 'What the....!?' or 'Where is his/her head at?!'.

Narrow band subject matter hyper-smart, but otherwise most often broadband world relevant dumber than hand washed cars in the winter time.

The idea of the daft, aloof and out of touch brainiac 'professor' type is very much the norm, to my direct experience, rather than the made for TV & movies exception.
    It is soooo bizarre to witness first hand. I now have learned to no longer question but rather to simply expect as much.
    Not all and always, but very much to the majority.

- Janq was street bred, born & raised, and is here only by oddest of odd circumstance and survival adaptation
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

What's the old saying, "An ounce of knowledge takes a pound of common sense to apply it.", or something to that effect .

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    She seemed to be messing around instead of getting in the car and leaving.Notice how fast things can happen.I do not understand her getting in the car.I suppose panic took over.I might get shot,but I will not go with them.
    People of all sorts will often "freeze up" in these situations, often having an extended "what is going on here?" or "is this really what I think it is?" situation even when it is obvious it is.

The type who freeze up the most are the ones who believe "it could never happen to me," whether explicitly or implicitly.

You *have* to GO and NOT freeze up. To do otherwise is to very possibly be killed. In other words, you don't have a choice. There is no luxury of freezing up and hoping things turn out somehow. It is something I don't think you can teach someone - they just have to realize it themselves, I guess.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    Perfect video for people who think their ready all the time, this shows you can be aware while walking to your car, but when you think it looks clear and your back is turned entering the vehicle it happens. Opportunity to act may come later, but lets talk about first engagement, anyone can get AMBUSHED, stay alert, stay alive. We can talk about the bad guy might of been visible, or maybe he was concealed, but it only took a few seconds to run up on her, then shock and disbelief freezes you before realization set in, if anyone has been in a combat, trauma, or shocking situations, you'll understand that moment when... your brain not believing your eyes.
    Attack was strong. Target was weak.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Interesting.

Had the woman been carrying a gun, and she pointed it at the guy before he actually did anything, we would be having a discussion about how it was illegal to brandish a firearm or display a weapon if one was less than certain that their life was in danger. Half of the membership would be in agreement and the other half would be saying that she would have been justified.

One thing is evident,
    you don't know for sure if what you are doing is right or wrong until its over, so really all you can do is to go with your gut feeling.
    HG has tongue in cheek. There was no "before he actually did anything". The only thing he did was charge like the light brigade.

An armed citizen would be justified in using lethal force the instant the assailant appears on the screen if not before. This clip makes a good point of having a weapon at ready. Too bad for the lady that she wasn't in low ready or any ready. With no other innocent in the picture, there's no risk of committing the crime of "brandishing".
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I'm suprised as long as she was taking, he didn't fall asleep or look for someone else, lol.

I will point out, that I have on more than one occasion walked to my car with my hand already on my gun and in condition orange. I have also unholstered and shoved my gun in my coat pocket while keeping a grip on it.
    (These are usually places I normally would avoid altogether, and wouldn't even be there if it wasn't for work related business travel).

I would say for women who are alone, it may not be a bad idea to be doing that more often.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    What is someone supposed to do if they have groceries or packages to put in a car? She put something in the back seat first and then got in the car and that's when the perp attacked. I'd like to hear suggestions for how people handle putting things in the car and maintaining SA.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    What is someone supposed to do if they have groceries or packages to put in a car? She put something in the back seat first and then got in the car and that's when the perp attacked. I'd like to hear suggestions for how people handle putting things in the car and maintaining SA.
    My take is: SA should be done long before you reach your car! (Looking around "after" you reach your car severely limits your options.)

Most grocery and other stores now provide bags with handles. The bags are carried in the off hand and if too many a cart is used. SA is used approaching your vehicle, normally from the rear. As the car is neared, if using a cart, body position is change from the rear of the cart to the front pulling it into position. The rear door is opened. Now with the door at ones rear and the cart to the front the bags are gripped one or two at a time, by the handles and placed on the back seat while maintaining a visual to ones front and rear. The door to ones rear and the cart to ones front serve as barriers and while not proof against bullets provide some obstruction to anyone attempting to reach you, thus providing some time element for defensive action or draw. When the packages have been loaded the rear door is closed and locked, and the cart returned to its rack. If no cart is used the packages are merely placed in the back seat with the door as a physical barrier to ones rear. The car is again approached, from the rear, driver's door unlocked while maintaing visual both front and rear. Vehicle entered and door closed and locked.

we have to realize we don't walk around on high alert 24/7/365... and sometimes the bad guy wins. I think this typical with most people not being aware of their surroundings, although the bad guy could wait until your back is turned, remember, some bad guys are very good at what they do.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links