VIDEO: Carjacking caught on video

This is a discussion on VIDEO: Carjacking caught on video within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wonder if she was armed and had better situational awareness, would the outcome have changed? The BG seems have gotten a good jump on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO: Carjacking caught on video

VIDEO: Carjacking caught on video

I wonder if she was armed and had better situational awareness, would the outcome have changed? The BG seems have gotten a good jump on her.

ST. PETERSBURG - St. Petersburg police are looking for a man they say carjacked a woman's car from a parking garage and drove away with her, a crime that was captured on videotape.

The 31-year-old woman was standing near her 2008 Mazda3 in the parking garage at Beacon House apartments, 470 3rd St. S., at about 6:45 a.m., when the armed suspect approached her from behind, St. Petersburg police say.

He ordered the woman into the car, and holding the gun on her, he drove to Ninth Avenue South and 16th Street and ordered her out of the car, police say.

The suspect is described as a black man with a light complexion. He is 18 to 25 years old, is 5-feet-5- to 5-feet-8inches tall, and has a thin build. At the time of the carjacking, he was wearing a white hooded sweatshirt, with a light-colored bandana covering his face.

The woman returned to the downtown area, and contacted her husband and they contacted police.

Anyone who knows the suspect's identity or his whereabouts is asked to call the St. Petersburg Police Department at (727) 893-7780 or the tip line at (727) 892-5000, or text in a tip at (727) 420 8911.

http://video.tbo.com/v/36026710/vide...ng.htm?q=video

2. Remove Ads

Being armed and more aware might have helped her, hard to say. It was two seconds even from the time he came on screen til he had her. That would not be enough time for a lot of people armed or not.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Interesting...
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    She seemed to be messing around instead of getting in the car and leaving.Notice how fast things can happen.I do not understand her getting in the car.I suppose panic took over.I might get shot,but I will not go with them.

She wasted too much time getting in and out of her car. If she had gotten in, locked her door (and hopefully had a gun at the ready), then started up and backed out, she would have been O.K.
    Dirtbags like this one deserve nothing but a bullet in the skull...end of story.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by DUNDEM View Post
    I wonder if she was armed and had better situational awareness, would the outcome have changed? The BG seems have gotten a good jump on her.

ST. PETERSBURG - St. Petersburg police are looking for a man they say carjacked a woman's car from a parking garage and drove away with her, a crime that was captured on videotape.

The 31-year-old woman was standing near her 2008 Mazda3 in the parking garage at Beacon House apartments, 470 3rd St. S., at about 6:45 a.m., when the armed suspect approached her from behind, St. Petersburg police say.

He ordered the woman into the car, and holding the gun on her, he drove to Ninth Avenue South and 16th Street and ordered her out of the car, police say.

The suspect is described as a black man with a light complexion. He is 18 to 25 years old, is 5-feet-5- to 5-feet-8inches tall, and has a thin build. At the time of the carjacking, he was wearing a white hooded sweatshirt, with a light-colored bandana covering his face.

The woman returned to the downtown area, and contacted her husband and they contacted police.

Anyone who knows the suspect's identity or his whereabouts is asked to call the St. Petersburg Police Department at (727) 893-7780 or the tip line at (727) 892-5000, or text in a tip at (727) 420 8911.

http://video.tbo.com/v/36026710/vide...ng.htm?q=video
    I don't know if being armed necessarily would have been useful but I can assure you that SA would have. She should have been armed but she should have had her head on a swivel as she unlocked and then got tunnel vision in the back seat. I just had two ladies I love watch this as a good example and to make the point of just how long thirty or forty seconds are. The entire video is 1:24 and from the time he closed tghe door until he hits the brake to put it in gear was relatively short but as you watch it and wonder what a perp could be doing to a lady it seemed like an extremely long, long time.

Had she been on her toes she could have take one of two primary actions. First, avoidance by getting in the car and locking the doors (she had the key fob in her hand) and then she have drawn if required. Second she could have been exceptionally trained at the Tueller drill and maybe had time to get a shot off. There was hardly time to recognize, draw, present, **decide {verbal command/shoot}**.

With the camera angle it's hard to know where/when he would have come into view but it was close and he was on the move. Likely a good retention shooter with great SA and willing to shoot could have stopped the threat.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I make it less than 3 seconds from him being off screen to at her open door. Interesting... He must have waited for her to put the packages in and get into position to drive. She may have had time to close and lock her door.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    Fact: The BG always has the initiative. In this case the BG was smooth and fast. He never allowed her a chance to sieze the initiative or to change his plan. With the information available I think anyone, armed or not, would have been in trouble.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Senior Moderator
    Interesting.

Had the woman been carrying a gun, and she pointed it at the guy before he actually did anything, we would be having a discussion about how it was illegal to brandish a firearm or display a weapon if one was less than certain that their life was in danger. Half of the membership would be in agreement and the other half would be saying that she would have been justified.

One thing is evident,
    you don't know for sure if what you are doing is right or wrong until its over, so really all you can do is to go with your gut feeling.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Interesting.

Had the woman been carrying a gun, and she pointed it at the guy before he actually did anything, we would be having a discussion about how it was illegal to brandish a firearm or display a weapon if one was less than certain that their life was in danger. Half of the membership would be in agreement and the other half would be saying that she would have been justified.

One thing is evident,
    you don't know for sure if what you are doing is right or wrong until its over, so really all you can do is to go with your gut feeling.
    I hear you loud and clear..............
    U.S. Army Veteran

I don't know but thought I'd ask here. Isn't it carjacking if they only take that car and kidnapping if they take a person? The idea the cops call it a carjacking makes it sound like simple theft.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    One thing I think may have helped besides better SA is having her car "backed" into the space. At least (in this case), she would have had the door as a barrier to help her get away.

IMHO; having your car ready to "pull" out is better than having to "back" out of a space.

At least for this instance she would have always been facing the direction the attack came from and may have been able to see the danger before it was too late and get away.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I don't know but thought I'd ask here. Isn't it carjacking if they only take that car and kidnapping if they take a person? The idea the cops call it a carjacking makes it sound like simple theft.

Michael
    In most cases the taking of the person also, would indeed be kidnapping. It is not necessarily the cops that choose to call it "carjacking", that is often the title of the statute and it will often carry penalties very similar to armed robbery, considerably more severe than simple theft.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    One thing I think may have helped besides better SA is having her car "backed" into the space. At least (in this case), she would have had the door as a barrier to help her get away.

IMHO; having your car ready to "pull" out is better than having to "back" out of a space.

At least for this instance she would have always been facing the direction the attack came from and may have been able to see the danger before it was too late and get away.
    He would have just been hiding in the other direction........he intended to approach her from behind.

However, if she had been armed, she could have shot the piss out him once they were in the car......I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    She wasted too much time getting in and out of her car. If she had gotten in, locked her door (and hopefully had a gun at the ready), then started up and backed out, she would have been O.K.
    Dirtbags like this one deserve nothing but a bullet in the skull...end of story.
    BINGO. Get in and get gone. Don't stand there messing around.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links