Drawing from inside a car

This is a discussion on Drawing from inside a car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The two recent posts on here the "You da Man" and the "firing through a car window" post got me to thinking. There is no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing from inside a car

Drawing from inside a car

The two recent posts on here the "You da Man" and the "firing through a car window" post got me to thinking.
    There is no way that I could, if surprised, draw my weapon while sitting in my car without great effort. I carry a 1911 in an IWB holster at 3:30 position. Now I have been in a circumstance where I did have warning and was able to retrieve it and have it ready unknown to the person I was worried about.

No if a potential aggressor was right at my car window and I could not drive away I could never retrieve my weapon without alot of effort and contortions. The ideal outcome would be for me to be able to get my weapon out of the holster and have it at the ready without the person knowing. I mean why threaten or worry him if he is only asking directions.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; December 24th, 2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: I made another oopsie

2. Remove Ads

This is my setup and it presents no such problems as you describe. It should work for IWB as well as OWB.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Cool

I carry IWB in the appendix posistion and have no trouble accessing my firearm seated in a vehicle. When on duty and carrying in an SS-III I need to lean forward in order to release the safety that is the pull back on the grip before pulling up out of the holster. I can access my BUG from under my exterior ballistic carrier faster.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I carry IWB in the appendix posistion and have no trouble accessing my firearm seated in a vehicle. When on duty and carrying in an SS-III I need to lean forward in order to release the safety that is the pull back on the grip before pulling up out of the holster. I can access my BUG from under my exterior ballistic carrier faster.
    I can also access my weapon. I was referring to the ability to access it in a way that no one would see me as a threat. In the other threads folks were criticized for basically brandishing their weapons instead of keeping them hidden.
    If I walked up to your car and say grabbed the door handle as in the other thread could you bring your weapon to the ready yet keep it hidden? One of the suggestions was for the person to place the gun under a towel of other piece of garment. Good idea maybe except how do you get it from a holster to that position without being considered a threat?

Michael

Michael

The difference in speed between hand on the weapon in the holster and in hand on the weapon on the seat under a towel is so little as to , IMO, be of no measurable consequence. As far as the weapon being exposed by my hand being on/near it, I was clearing my shirt to fasten/unfasten my seatbelt for departure or exit, as the case might be.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Depending on length of travel, an ankle holster works great from a sitting position.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I carry about 3:30 as well. Sometimes IWB sometimes OWB. Regardless, I tuck my shirt behind my firearm and get my jacket out of the way if I am wearing it. Bascially, I'm OC'ing in the car. I just pull the shirt over it as I exit.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I open carry most of the time and with my larger handguns, it is very uncomfortable to sit down with an OWB. Canting the holster seems to help a bit, but I find it easier to draw straight up. I usually just unholster and put the pistol in the cup holder or on the passenger seat. It makes it easier to get to in the event that I need to use it. I used to worry about others seeing the handgun sitting on the passenger seat, but with window tinting, it's harder to see inside.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The two recent posts on here the "You da Man" and the "firing through a car window" post got me to thinking.
    There is no way that I could, if surprised, draw my weapon while sitting in my car without great effort. I carry a 1911 in an IWB holster at 3:30 position. Now I have been in a circumstance where I did have warning and was able to retrieve it and have it ready unknown to the person I was worried about.

No if a potential aggressor was right at my car window and I could not drive away I could never retrieve my weapon without alot of effort and contortions. The ideal outcome would be for me to be able to get my weapon out of the holster and have it at the ready without the person knowing. I mean why threaten or worry him if he is only asking directions.

Michael

How much of a cant do you have on the holster? I carry at IWB at about the 3:30 position with a forward cant and it's a straight pull up seated in the car. Very similar to what Guantes has pictured.

Tint your windows then nobody can see you access your weapon.

If you walk up to my car and grab the door handle you stand a good chance of seeing my weapon. As Trav said tint is a great covering for your moves. In Florida most vehicles have tint and this is always a concern when a traffic stop is executed especially in low light situations. My weapon is covered by my shirt and in the appendix posistion and is very easy to access in short order just as if I was in a standing posistion with no unusual contorting save for lifting the shirt.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill. On some of the other posts folks are ridiculed for bringing their guns into play to soon. How they should keep their weapons out of sight until they are absolutely sure it was needed.
    The difference in speed between hand on the weapon in the holster and in hand on the weapon on the seat under a towel is so little as to , IMO, be of no measurable consequence.
    This is not the case for me.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill. On some of the other posts folks are ridiculed for bringing their guns into play to soon. How they should keep their weapons out of sight until they are absolutely sure it was needed.

This is not the case for me.

Michael
    Too soon is better than way too late IMO.
    You might get the second hand play by play or suggestions, but you'll never be ridiculed here.
    I've had similar circumstances on the road in the wee hours on my way to work. When it comes to you preserving your life, you do so without asking anybody....then you live to tell about your ordeal. Nobody here can prepare you for that day. Second guessing yourself and your methods leaves the door open to others opinions. You want to live on your own.

This happened sometime last year after officer Brenton got shot. There were speculations that the October 22nd group who are basically anarchists were trying to take out government and LEOs all over the city of Seattle. Everyone was on edge that week including civilians.

The very next day this guy wearing a hoodie walked up to my window and knocked on it. My glasses are tinted so I took my firearm and placed it under a newspaper and lowered the window. He wanted jumper cables but I said I didn't have them. The guy got into his car and drove off.

I had that happen again at the Walmart parking lot in Renton.

To me it is a dangerous situation. An unknown subject coming upto your car window, tapping it and wanting to ask a question. It always unnerves me.

I wish there was a holster just for when we are driving so we can slide it in, clip it and its accessible in situations like these if things go downhill.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Ive talked about that in the past. I think it would be ideal to have a SERPA holster screwed to the knee bolster, basicly between your legs. In my 06 Chevy pickup, i have plenty of room to access it without sweeping my thighs..just remember to keep your booger hook off the trigger with that SERPA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links