Do You Shoot..Or Don't Shoot

This is a discussion on Do You Shoot..Or Don't Shoot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After clicking on the link below do you believe this would of been a good shoot or bad shoot. Put yourself in this scenario and ...

Thread: Do You Shoot..Or Don't Shoot

Do You Shoot..Or Don't Shoot

After clicking on the link below do you believe this would of been a good shoot or bad shoot. Put yourself in this scenario and your carrying, all of a sudden this develops

Lets say we agree with the good shoot crowd for now, the target attempts to rob you by gun point, you react... move, draw, and shoot.

Lets go with the don't shoot crowd, you move, draw, cover, and attempt to give the target a chance to surrender or drop his weapon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40796710...ws-weird_news/

2. Remove Ads

Depends on the totality of the circumstances....but I don't have to play by the rules that "permits" the BG to surrender or drop his weapon....I ain't a cop....you present yourself as a deadly threat, you get treated like a deadly threat.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I believe it would have been a good shoot if the employer allows the workers to be armed. I fully agree with SIGguy as well, if I perceive a deadly threat then I must expeditiously end that threat.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

VIP Member
    C'mon,
    was this egg head that dumb to do that with a d*%# iphone??

Or Is he just finally using his noggin, and telling the po po that, in order to avoid more jail time,(commision of felony in possession of firarm).

How about starting with a change of lifestyle, ditch the fancy phone and get a cheaper one, go to child SS and begin there with taking care of the kid.

Getting to the Question @ hand;

It all is determined by theses factsors:

1)Does he in fact have a DANGEROUS weapon
    2)Whats his overall demeanor?
    a) How desparate does he appear?
    b) how many are them?
    c)Does he appear to be getting ready to take prisoners?
    3)How organized do the appear?
    Do they come off as the Apple Dumpling Gang?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I actually find this easy to answer. BG has a gun in hand and demands money, I have an opportunity to pull my gun, I shoot.

I'm not going to go to cover first and demand he drop his gun. We're not talking Hollywood here, where you can redo it, until everyone likes the outcome.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It depends if I can identify what he is holding as an iphone. If it appears to be a gun, his ticket gets cancelled. I will not put my or my loved ones well being at the benevolence of criminals.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Lol he could have money for his kids by ditching the iphone...probably save him 50+ bucks a month! I know this because im typing this up on mine right now hahaha.

Depending on his demeanor, it would probably be a no shoot for me. Seems he surrendered pretty fast when the cooks armed themselves. So, IF he saw me draw i would hope he drop whatever he had and be putting his hands up or something.

I have not had extensive firearms training and im afraid i would hesitate to pull the trigger for a split second which would probably save his life... On the flip side i realize that split second could be what ends mine. I guess i would need to analyze my position in the situation also. Lots of factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    It depends if I can identify what he is holding as an iphone. If it appears to be a gun, his ticket gets cancelled. I will not put my or my loved ones well being at the benevolence of criminals.
    Yes. If he had his hand in his coat pocket telling me(or hopefully someone else and im not directly involved) he had a gun, i probably would probably think he was full of it. This may be a situation that would cause me to hesitate because i cant identify the weapon. He wouldnt think i was bluffing when he looks at the business end of mine though.

I'm trusting, if a criminal tells me he has a gun, I believe him and act accordingly.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I don't have to play by the rules that "permits" the BG to surrender or drop his weapon....I ain't a cop....you present yourself as a deadly threat, you get treated like a deadly threat.
    Don't think cops are hamstrung.

I'm trusting, if a criminal tells me he has a gun, I believe him and act accordingly.
    Spoken like a true cop.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Spoken like a true cop.
    I'm no cop I believe any reasonable person would believe the robber. I would not even think about calling him a liar.

Michael

I'm naive like that too.
    Last edited by EvilMonk; December 31st, 2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: My anal-retentive obsession with proper prose...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Guantes

As always, you are spot on mate.

Little Johnny doesn't have to have a gun. You just have to have the reasonable belief that he does. If you tell me you have a gun, or act like you do with your finger in your Hoodie Pocket, I have to believe you do have a gun until proven otherwise, and will respond accordingly. What that will be will depend upon the circumstances. In short, don't try to bluff, because sometimes your bluff gets called.

Biker

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Depends on the totality of the circumstances....but I don't have to play by the rules that "permits" the BG to surrender or drop his weapon....I ain't a cop....you present yourself as a deadly threat, you get treated like a deadly threat.
    Agreed.

Without any other knowledge.........a masked man presents a deadly threat to me, then I have to take it as such. If I draw my sidearm, then I'm prepared to fire to STOP that threat. Weather or not I fire my weapon depends on circumstances beyond my knowledge or control other than me making a decision to purposly aquire a sight picture and pulling the trigger.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Shoot. Pretty clear to me, assuming I felt I had a tactical advantage.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Links