Followed home on Christmas Eve

This is a discussion on Followed home on Christmas Eve within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was coming home on Christmas Eve when a car turned with me down my road. I live on a dead end road, so anyone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Followed home on Christmas Eve

Followed home on Christmas Eve

I was coming home on Christmas Eve when a car turned with me down my road. I live on a dead end road, so anyone who turns here is either lost or lives here. It was 7pm and dark. We don't have street lights, but I have an outdoor light above my garage.

I saw the car turn in at my driveway and stop. I decided to leave the garage door closed since my family was home. Got out of the truck with my surefire flashlight in hand and walked down my driveway to speak with the young man who had now exited his vehicle. I gave us about 20 feet distance.

He starts by politely saying good evening. Then asked if he can ask me a favor. (I never like when strangers start off that way, makes me more leary, like they are stalling) so I reach under my vest to place my thumb on my firearm and tell him "i'll try to help". He asks for directions back to the highway to WalMart. I give him instructions and tell him I just came from there, good luck. He thanks me and then says he's sorry if he alarmed me. I told him he was no trouble, and wished him a Merry Christmas.

I'm glad it turned out to be harmless. What a bad idea to follow someone into their driveway in the dark especially when I'm just down the road from a McDonalds and a small shopping center. I guess I was sending out much stronger signals than I realized because he was able to pick up on my hightened state. Who knows, maybe he was a criminal and decided to pick an easier target.

2. Remove Ads

Handeld this well!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    sounds like you did just fine. stay alert, stay safe.

I think you did fine. You took a preliminary precaution by not opening the garage door and prepared should the contact go bad.
    Unknown contacts always cause a certain amount of angst among those aware of the possible results. That angst manifests itself in body language, speech inflection and other ways and is often picked up on by criminals, ne'er-do-wells and aware individuals. It seems that whatever catagory the stranger fell into he perceived your angst and either, thought better of his intended actions or merely courteously attempted to allay your concerns. In any case, well done on your part.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Flashlights are a great tool. I have given one as gift to everyone in my family. They didn't see the need or usefulness of them at first and just smiled. They all now carry one in their pocket everday. They find themselves using them often for a wide variety of needs. I carry either a surefire Executive or a Streamlight slim pocket light. Interesting how someone approaching you at night will stop or freeze when you light them up. Throws them off guard at least. Haven't had to pull the main defensive tool out yet.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

+1 to the flashlight. Just got a surefire E2D defender and I have no idea how I lived without it!

He followed you down a dark, dead-end residential street well away from the brightly-lit "shopping" areas of town, to ask you directions to Wal-Mart? I highly doubt it.

Sure, he said otherwise, but it sounds like you were being "interviewed" for your alertness and capability of resisting.

Ditto on today's bright flashlights. An LED with 400 lumens out the front can be great for helping to keep night-time situations under control and at arm's length.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Odd circumstance on someone asking for directions. He may be innocent on the "lost" guys part, some people are clueless about being careful and approaching someone on questionable circumstances.

Several years ago (in Shreveport) a guy was driving home after getting off from his night shift. He pulled into his driveway and a car pulled right in behind him. The BG's got out surrounded him and demanded his housekeys. His wife and child were inside asleep. He had his keys in his hand and threw them away in the darkness. The BG's were caught off-guard I guess, and left him alone. Lucky guy, very lucky.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I don't think he followed me from Wal Mart. It's about 10 miles away. The main road is pretty well traveled by those who live around here. Their is a large neighborhood out here also. I'm not sure exactly when he fell in behind me. I only noticed him when he turned down my street with me, I thought it might be one of my neighbors until he pulled in my driveway. He originally wanted to know how to get back to the highway. Then mentioned he needed to get to Wal Mart. He did plenty of little things to get my spidey sense' to tingling. I'm kicking myself for not getting his license plate as he drove off.

I picked up a surefire G2x Pro for $55. It's proving to be a good flashlight at a good price.

Yep, should have sprayed that license plate with the light for a second and then made a non-aggressive comment about the state like "I guess I can help a Floridian out," then just smile. This way he is fully aware you know his tag number, but isn't further spooked that you'll be calling the pork the moment he leaves.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

this is why when lost I ask directions in well lit and public places...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Bravo! Especially like the smarts not to open the garage door. No telling what coud have, or might have, happened differently had you exposed your home to the starnger. Way to go!!
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

Quote Originally Posted by DynoLa View Post
    Got out of the truck with my surefire flashlight in hand and walked down my driveway to speak with the young man who had now exited his vehicle. I gave us about 20 feet distance.
    OK - here I am again asking the same question. Why did you 1) exit your vehicle, and 2) go down your driveway to engage the guy in conversation?

I have had a similar situation, and I also didn't open the garage door, but turned off my car lights, left my car running (in case I needed to use it as a defensive weapon), and simply sat in the darkened car with my cell phone and gun at the ready and waited until the guy drove off. It wasn't practical for me to get his plate number as he was on the street behind me. If someone needs directions, they can get them from a gas station on a busy street. I'm not AAA.

At other times, when I see someone tailing me (I always check my six approaching my quiet little neighborhood), I'll take them on a wild goose chase until they break off. If I notice someone following me into my cul-de-sac, I never go to my house. I turn around in the cul-de-sac, and drive off into the tangle of little streets until I am comfortable they are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    OK - here I am again asking the same question. Why did you 1) exit your vehicle, and 2) go down your driveway to engage the guy in conversation?

I have had a similar situation, and I also didn't open the garage door, but turned off my car lights, left my car running (in case I needed to use it as a defensive weapon), and simply sat in the darkened car with my cell phone and gun at the ready and waited until the guy drove off. It wasn't practical for me to get his plate number as he was on the street behind me. If someone needs directions, they can get them from a gas station on a busy street. I'm not AAA.

At other times, when I see someone tailing me (I always check my six approaching my quiet little neighborhood), I'll take them on a wild goose chase until they break off. If I notice someone following me into my cul-de-sac, I never go to my house. I turn around in the cul-de-sac, and drive off into the tangle of little streets until I am comfortable they are gone.
    X2 Glad it turned out alright....but I have the same questions and observations.

I also would have stayed in my vehicle with lights out and gun out with flashlight. In our one way in and out neighborhood we have entrance and exit cameras. Smile on the way in and out and we get your tag number with a special camera just for that purpose. Everything is date and time stamped and the DVR holds 60 days of video incase someone was out of town when things went bad. Cameras are becoming the wave of the future for recording activity that should not happen. We have no signs advertising the cameras as you are on public property in our streets. That also does not stop 5 additional neighbors including myself from having our own multiple camera systems in and around our homes.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links