Robbery: shooting in the back

This is a discussion on Robbery: shooting in the back within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't want to hijack the other thread about shooting in the back so I thought I'd pose this question here. What if you are ...

View Poll Results: Do you shoot

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • shoot

44 66.67%
  • don't shoot

22 33.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robbery: shooting in the back

Robbery: shooting in the back

I didn't want to hijack the other thread about shooting in the back so I thought I'd pose this question here.

What if you are at a restaurant or say gas station and as you wait in line to pay or sitting down eating and an armed robber comes in? The robber has his gun pointed at the clerk. You have a clear shot at the bg but it will be a shot in the back.

Do you take the shot?

2. Remove Ads

In that situation, if the shot is clear, shoot.

if clear shoot
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

A more complicated answer for me. It will depend on the positioning of myself, other patorns, the clerk and the BG. Not only do I need positioning, I want an instant stop to as much as possible prevent him from squeezing off shot(s) at the clerk, other patrons or myself after my action. The goal being to prevent injuries to innocents and getting my butt sued. To my mind that means a good head shot or possibly even pistol whipping him behind the ear. My perception of the threat level he presents will also figure into the equation. No action may be the best action. Specific circumstances at the time will determine my action.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I said don't shoot.

Is this a trick question?
    I'm in line behind a guy robbing a clerk at gun point...he doesn't see me behind him/or ignores me...I have no exit route without being seen (possibly shot for trying to leave)...bang-bang......bang!
    OMO, but not much of a choice here.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I said "don't shoot" but might change my answer depending on items mentioned by retsupt and guantes - positioning for one.
    Am I standing in line behind the guy and he's only watching the clerk ? Odds are better for me to shoot.

VIP Member
    I said don't shoot. However, depending on the demeanor of the BG that could change. If his actions are erratic and appears he may decide to shoot, then I might take the shot. Otherwise I let it play out and do what I need to to stay safe.

As to standing in line to pay, and robber comes in and pulls a gun, how are you going to get a shot at his back?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The only thing I could figure is that he walks past you to the clerk, deciding that you are no threat???

Better check you local laws/ordinances to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I said don't shoot. However, depending on the demeanor of the BG that could change. If his actions are erratic and appears he may decide to shoot, then I might take the shot. Otherwise I let it play out and do what I need to to stay safe.

As to standing in line to pay, and robber comes in and pulls a gun, how are you going to get a shot at his back?
    Hasn't he already shown a total disregard for others lives by point the weapon at them? Unless he tells me he is just kidding I have to assume he is a serious threat.

Michael

I seem to remember threads with bank robbers with a toy gun and burglars with an empty gun, just saying.

If I can take the shot without being detected first by the BG (drawing on a drawn gun is not the best idea without surprise) AND I believe I have a good backstop for the shot if I miss or overpenetrate (I don't want to shoot a clerk, cook, or customer) then I believe the shot would be prudent and justifiable given the circumstances. Shooting in the back in "self defense" is usually bad as it becomes less clear whether the perp is choosing to leave and therefore end the imminent threat, which generally disqualifies a justified shooting (laws may vary, and location matters- inside your house the rules are often different.) Shooting a perp in the back to end an imminent threat to someone else is more clear-cut in terms of determining a good shoot vs. a bad one.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Some of you guys have to remember that if the BG has the gun pointed at the clerk and you shoot the BG in the head, the BG might pull that trigger just from the shock and shoot, maybe kill the clerk. Other efforts would be used to get the gun pointed away from the clerk (or any other friendlies) then I would handle the problem at hand.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I would use some new disarming technique I learned on the internet and subdue him.

J/K

In AZ you may use deadly force to protect yourself or others. The trick here is...can you do it without endangering anyone else? If I honestly believe Mr. Miscreant is actually going to "cause death or grave bodily harm" then I would have to take the shot. Let's face it...if he's in front of you, you have one heck of a good path to his medula which will turn off his central nervous system like a switch. Some may say that a close contact shot to the brain stem is akin to execution, but I say it is merely the most effective means at hand to stop a violent felon from comitting murder in the comission of a felony.

As a previous poster already answered...a lot depends upon angle to the subject, relative position of the clerk, presense of others in the store...etc. So, my long answer is: I would take the shot IF I knew I could make it without making things worse.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links