Purse Snatch Avoided

Purse Snatch Avoided

This is a discussion on Purse Snatch Avoided within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I decided to check out the new Everett (WA) Winco store today. My wife put her purse, with her carry in it, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purse Snatch Avoided

Purse Snatch Avoided

My wife and I decided to check out the new Everett (WA) Winco store today.
    My wife put her purse, with her carry in it, in the cart and under my guard. (Still a little tiring on a shoulder just ten weeks following her bypass. She has lost a lot of weight recently, but belt carry still is not option, yet.)

We were back in the meat section and had been trolling the coolers when my wife pipes up and says, "I don't like the way that guy has been following us."
    My head pops around immediately and I ask, "Which one?"
    "That one right there at the end of the cooler."

I see him there, acting way too casual, about 12 feet away. So, I took a deep breath and announced to the meat department, "If he touches your purse I will break his f'ing arm!"

He immediately turned around and left.
    Didn't see him in or outside the store after that.

The wife and I work as a team, where in this instance, I was paying attention to close in and she was casually scanning the background while shopping.

She had picked up on him two coolers back, but waited to say anything to me until he had followed a couple of our "detours".

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Your wife needs to be commended on her keen SA
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

+1 for the SA....and teamwork!
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

Good job possibly thwarting the purse getting snatched. Glad your wife is "heads up" and paying attention.

My wife's purse/bag has a side release buckle on the shoulder strap. She always undoes it and feeds her shoulder strap through the handle of the shopping cart. If anyone grabs the purse and tries to run, it's physically attached to the shopping cart giving me and her much more reaction time.

If someone grabs her purse, they will likely just drop it and run than try to drag the whole cart through the store.

Congrats on your wife's SA. My wife and I work as a team as well. There's also no doubt her SA is more acute than mine.

Also, if your wife's purse strap doesn't have a buckle, she might consider using a carabiner to attach it to the cart as an option. Anything to slow them down, jam them up and keep them from just grabbing the bag and bolting out the store will allow you and her more reaction time.

My wife keeps her SP-101 in her purse and pocket carries her LCP.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree on securing it to the cart. We put the child "seatbelt" through the straps of her purse.
    Then hide the seatbelt so a potential thief cannot see it and prepare for it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Well done sir...and your wife as well! Good for her being so on the ball. What is she carrying?

And where is the new Winco? What is it near in Everett? I've been going to the one in Marysville. And thanks for the heads up...I will be prepared for the 'other clientele.'
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Meat sections usually aren't particularly close to the exit/entrance doors. So some guy has been following you, probably know that two people are shopping together with one cart, and he thinks he can grab a purse, run through the store, and may have to wait for the auto door to open and successfully get out and away? That's a lot of gall, desperation, or stupidity (or any combo). I'm glad it worked out for you.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Wish I coulda seen that! Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Well done sir...and your wife as well! Good for her being so on the ball. What is she carrying?

And where is the new Winco? What is it near in Everett? I've been going to the one in Marysville. And thanks for the heads up...I will be prepared for the 'other clientele.'
    Thank you. My wife is awesome.
    I like the way she handled it, particularly in not putting me on the scent right away, because she knows me well and it would be bad if I happened to focus my protective/defensive nature upon the innocent.

I agree with ppkheat that it was pretty gutsy. May have more been waiting for a sneak grab rather than snatch-n-run. What makes me think the sneak snatch is, immediately after I called his game, he bee-lined it to a woman and child with a cart with a few groceries in it. They immediately left. I am thinking they may be working as a team.
    Just what my gut instinct tells me.

My wife later mentioned that nobody better mess with a woman who has just had a bypass. I tell you, she'd whip their netherparts. (Hmm, is that even a word? If not, it should be.)
    She carries a H&K P2000 V3 in 9mm. Very good with it, but the gun would be the least of their worries.

The new Winco is over in the Silver Lake area, north of Costco and between Wendys and Skate Deck (Wendys shares the parking lot with Winco). We usually shop the Marysville store, also. Dropped in to check out the new Everett one. I think we'll stick with the Marysville store. It is actually more convenient for us.

Just a SA note: The Everett store's physical layout it mirror image reversed to that of the Marysville store.
    Last edited by RemMod597; January 4th, 2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Changed pompous, adolecent verbage.

She sounds like a keeper RemMod.

And thanks for the info on the Winco!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Meat sections usually aren't particularly close to the exit/entrance doors. So some guy has been following you, probably know that two people are shopping together with one cart, and he thinks he can grab a purse, run through the store, and may have to wait for the auto door to open and successfully get out and away? That's a lot of gall, desperation, or stupidity (or any combo). I'm glad it worked out for you.
    The smart criminals are the ones we never hear about... well, except for those in D.C.... they just can't get enough publicity!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    My wife and I decided to check out the new Everett (WA) Winco store today.
    My wife put her purse, with her carry in it, in the cart and under my guard. (Still a little tiring on a shoulder just ten weeks following her bypass. She has lost a lot of weight recently, but belt carry still is not option, yet.)

We were back in the meat section and had been trolling the coolers when my wife pipes up and says, "I don't like the way that guy has been following us."
    My head pops around immediately and I ask, "Which one?"
    "That one right there at the end of the cooler."

I see him there, acting way too casual, about 12 feet away. So, I took a deep breath and announced to the meat department, "If he touches your purse I will break his f'ing arm!"He immediately turned around and left.
    Didn't see him in or outside the store after that.

The wife and I work as a team, where in this instance, I was paying attention to close in and she was casually scanning the background while shopping.

She had picked up on him two coolers back, but waited to say anything to me until he had followed a couple of our "detours".
    So here's MadMac to ask again: How did you know he was a potential purse snatcher? Because he was acting too casually? What does that mean? Why did you threaten to break someone's arm who (as of yet) had said or done nothing to you or your wife? He may be following you, he may not.

Maybe he thinks your wife is good looking and can't see a wedding band. Perhaps he's trying to work up the nerve to ask her out. Perhaps he's a rapist. Why would a purse snatcher ply his trade in the meat department at a Winco? A parking lot I can understand, but a meat department has witnesses, security cameras, and limited escape routes. There plenty of chances to stumble, fall, or get noticed. An employee could tackle him. It makes no sense.

If some loon started shouting obscenities in the Meat Department, I'd high-tail it out of there, too. That doesn't prove my guilt, nor validate your assumptions about me.

Good for your wife, and yourself. Hope all goes well with her recovery from her bypass surgery!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    So here's MadMac to ask again: How did you know he was a potential purse snatcher? Because he was acting too casually? What does that mean? Why did you threaten to break someone's arm who (as of yet) had said or done nothing to you or your wife? He may be following you, he may not.

Maybe he thinks your wife is good looking and can't see a wedding band. Perhaps he's trying to work up the nerve to ask her out. Perhaps he's a rapist. Why would a purse snatcher ply his trade in the meat department at a Winco? A parking lot I can understand, but a meat department has witnesses, security cameras, and limited escape routes.

If some loon started shouting obscenities in the Meat Department, I'd high-tail it out of there, too. That doesn't prove my guilt, nor validate your assumptions about me.
    As I wrote, my wife picked up on the guy before mentioning it to me. She is one for giving people the benefit of the doubt, so she was pretty sure he was up to no good by the time she told me.
    Had followed and didn't pay attention to anything in the coolers, and continued to follow when we changed direction, etc.
    The purse in the cart is an obvious target. I am not going to debate the intelligence of BGs or whether it is smart to try something in the meat dept., etc.
    I made my statement loud enough to carry a couple coolers away, but did not "shout". Your exaggeration did bring some comedic images to mind, tho.

Regardless of his final intentions, his attention was uninvited and he was acting suspiciously enough to get my wife's attention. That is enough for me.

I did not make the statement directly to the guy, but generally in the meat dept. He was the only one who reacted, even though we weren't addressing him, specifically (looking at him, pointing, etc.).

As for why would a BG risk doing something around witnesses, cameras, etc.. Personally, I don't think they worry about those things all that much.
    Those factors are like car door locks, they keep honest people honest.

If it smells like a duck...

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    did it ever occur to you to just look at him and ask how he was doing just to let him know you were paying attention?...i probably would have beat feet also if some loon popped up in the middle of the meat department with a statement like yours....i'd be wondering what was coming next and thinking i dont want to be on the 6:00 news...

or possibly just observing a bit yourself to confirm and then confronting with a "may i help you with something?"....

i hope you did avert a potential purse snatching...as opposed to scaring the daylights out of some guy and his family without confirming his intent...

another "youve successfully lived another day so you did the right thing" thread...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links