Recognize, React, Protect You and Yours

This is a discussion on Recognize, React, Protect You and Yours within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.click2houston.com/news/26362662/detail.html It seems like more and more of my fellow Texans are understanding the assault that is happening upon the general public. I was happy ...

Thread: Recognize, React, Protect You and Yours

http://www.click2houston.com/news/26362662/detail.html

It seems like more and more of my fellow Texans are understanding the assault that is happening upon the general public. I was happy to see that the intended victims were able to voice their opinions in the article, rather then just skipping over the event. Hopefully, more people will understand the need to protect themselves and their family as a forefront issue and not something that they can delay.

I didn't realize there was another thread about this occurrence. When I looked at it, members seemed more concerned about bullet placement. It does say that the homeowner was aiming for the gas tank of the vehicle and that he caught and subdued one of the robbers. So, I wonder if the robber saw the armed citizen and dropped his weapon, and the homeowner fired at the vehicle.

Aiming for the gas tank? What was he hoping for, a movie-like explosion?

Shoot to stop the threat. Not to blow up his getaway vehicle. Guy is rushing me with A GUN... If I can draw my weapon and fire, I ain't shootin' his ride, I ain't shootin' his knee caps, I'm shootin' to stop the threat.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I couldn't tell, after reading the article, wether he tried to shoot the gas tank or that was just the final resting placement of his shots.
    Trying to 'Hollywood' any shoot is very bad!

I do like the fact that he had a plan and when trouble found him he and his wife performed that plan successfully.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I am basically of the same opinion. Whether right or wrong, or rather, tactically efficient or not, the man and his wife had a plan and stuck to it. The plan, to ensure the safety of the children and put the wife into a position where she could contact authorities, while the husband faced down the threat. I can't blame them for that. I do see the point concerning whether or not the husband should have engaged the attackers or tried to retreat with his family, but I wasn't there so I can't say for sure. I would like to think that I would have fired at the attackers while making my way to safety. Again, I was really more glad when I read the article, that these two weren't hit completely by surprise. There wasn't any quotes like "we didn't think anything like this could happen because this is such a safe neighborhood", or "I didn't think it could happen to us". So, in the end, their strategy worked, and they can review what worked and what they should alter and make changes accordingly. I applaud them for being aware, armed, and prepared citizens. That in itself, puts them way ahead of the curve.

Links