Armed home invasion on my block!

This is a discussion on Armed home invasion on my block! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let this be a lesson to you (and in this case me): always keep a firearm within an arm's reach. I haven't been following this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Armed home invasion on my block!

Armed home invasion on my block!

Let this be a lesson to you (and in this case me): always keep a firearm within an arm's reach. I haven't been following this rule inside my house. I don't know enough of the details of what happened to know if I'd have been able to retrieve mine from the next room, but from now on I won't have to contemplate it. I'll either have my gun on me, or on the table in front of me.

I'm not really a fan of advertising where I live, but this happened on my block last night (!)

http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2011/0...est-seattle-2/
    On January 9th, at approximately 8:30 PM, Southwest Precinct officers responded to a 911 call to a residence in the 8800 Block of 16th Avenue Southwest. Officers arrived and contacted the three victims inside the residence. They stated that at approximately 8:30 PM, two black males,wearing dark clothing, between 20 and 30 years old, wearing ski masks and armed with handguns, forced entry into the house and confronted two of the occupants inside. One of the victims was kicked in the face and another was struck in the face. As this was going on, the third person inside the house heard the commotion and went upstairs to find out what was happening. He saw the masked suspects confronting the other two and ran out the back to neighbors to seek help and call 911. It appears that the suspects may have been startled by this person, as they too ran out the back door and fled the scene. It appears that a wallet may have been the only thing taken. One of the victims sustained a bruise to his face and was treated at a local hospital. The other victim declined medical attention. Officers conducted an area search for the suspects, but did not locate them. Robbery detectives responded to the location to process the scene and interview the victims. The Robbery Unit will be responsible for the follow up investigation. Anyone with any information concerning this crime is asked to contact Seattle Police.

2. Remove Ads

Terrible.

Vicarious lessons here...

To the OP:

You can obliterate the details of town/city/state, and no one will hate on you for it next time.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Forced their way into the home? Does this mean they pushed past whoever was dumb enough to open the door or did they break the door to enter?

that is scary stuff.......

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Good question ep1953--hope sig answers. My doors are locked and I cannot believe that I would not be aware of some sort of initial actions before someone began to kick in my door(s). Usually (at least the times I have read or have been told about invasions), some ruse is used so that person in house opens door for whomever--something I would never do--even if person at door appears to be an LEO, who I never asked for or have any reason to expect. In today's world you better be up on "situational awareness" and that covers almost anything and everyone around you--you do not take anything for granted and you suspect everything. Probably more important than having a firearm strapped to your side.

Glad to hear that you will now be carrying in your home. I seems like I am hearing about incidents like this more and more.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Seattle (and the rest of the Northwest for that matter) is an "interesting" place (I was born & raised in NW Oregon & my brothers kids still live there)....lots of "outdoorsy" types there, but mostly of the modern, "green", save-mother earth types that think that firearms are inherintly evil, vicious & nasty things, that the world (and Seattle) is an inherintly nice and thus, "safe" place to exist.......

Back when I grew up in the NW it was home to loggers and other folks who hunted and fished religiously and were Life members of the NRA. Those kinds of folks are a (sadly) dying breed in the greater metropolitan areas of the Pacific NW.

All that goes to say that many, many folks there are ignorant and naive of the true evil that exists all around them and they are shocked and utterly unprepared for it when it knocks on (or knocks down) their very front door. Our OP and member of this forum is NOT common out there--most folks there woldn't reconize SA even when it bit them on their behinds.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Given Chaplin Scott's remarks, and that the time was only 8:30 pm, I'd go out on a limb and say someone probably answered the door.

Will have to wait for sigsegy to respond.

My wife and I both always have a firearm on us or within arms reach when inside the home. But I have felons as neighbors on each side of me, and across the street. While one neighbor just went to the Pen for 5 years, his mom moved in the house while he's away since she's the owner. She's just as shady a character as he was.

Thankfully, I just bought a house in a much more secluded and quiet neighborhood on a circle drive, and will be moving at the end of the month. Only one road into and out of the edition and no drug houses there. When my new neighbors were checking us out when we looked at the house, they made it quite clear they all look out for each other in the neighborhood. Working EMS in the town I already knew that and knew it was a quiet area.

Still, none of our home security protocols will change in the least. In fact, I have some interesting security ideas when we do a little renovating in a couple years.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There has been three "armed home invasions" in my neighborhood since I've lived here (16 years), and--big surprise--all turned out to be drug related. Imagine that!

When one dances with the Devil...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I carry a holstered weapon when in home or out in the yard. You never know what can happen, so why not have the weapon ON your person? That way, instead of looking for a weapon under high stress, you simple reach down instinctually and respond within seconds.

I don't know any details of what happened. i'm not even sure which house on the block it was, I only have a general idea. I don't know my neighbors, which I think is relatively normal for Seattle. This story didn't make the nightly news that I've seen, so I don't know if I'll ever be able to find out whether the door was kicked down or opened by the homeowner.

I always carry at home in a Blackhawk Sherpa holster. I have answered my door and its mainly the religious groups that are appalled at the sight of the gun. One of them suggested I didn't need a gun if I had God on my side. The solicitors just apologize and leave. The recent home invasions in Seattle are scary. You never know who is at your door.

I got my doors reinforced a year ago so no one can kick it open. I am planning to install cameras so I can get a 360 view around the house.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Seattle was once considered the "jewel" of the Pacific NW--what a sad commentary on our times when folks like wolfshead who is an obvious professional, has to take those kinds of measures simply to ensure his home's safety.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Locked doors or not my home cannot really be secured. I have (just counted) 11 near floor to ceiling double hung windows on my main floor and 3 doors that match that same look. Even though I know that any BG's can just break the window and unlock the door I make sure they are locked to give us that little bit of warning/delay before they would be in the house.
    I need a dog bad! we are hoping to have one this summer.

Sled

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Seattle was once considered the "jewel" of the Pacific NW--what a sad commentary on our times when folks like wolfshead who is an obvious professional, has to take those kinds of measures simply to ensure his home's safety.......
    I lived in Spokane for a few years (twice), and conversations with folks there seem to confirm that that city has gone to the dogs also. A lot of gang and drug problems. While it was never the boom town with the hustle and bustle of Seattle, it was a nice place to live, always felt safe there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links