Big Dog.

This is a discussion on Big Dog. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got home from my girlfriends and after saying good bye and getting the good night kiss I walk out the door into the outer ...

Thread: Big Dog.

Big Dog.

Just got home from my girlfriends and after saying good bye and getting the good night kiss I walk out the door into the outer dark porch, I see sophie the sweet dog who always greets me lying next to the outer door.and I say hi and the dog stands up and stops. Realizing it is dark and sophie was in her kennel and the mastef (think that's how you spell it? named jasper is now growling and barking at me and drool flying into my face from his mouth I mutter f my life and put my back against the wall and put my hand on my glock, I knew I did not want to harm the dog but this dog is huge and registers me as a threat, I decide to stand extremely still and hope my gf comes to the door, 20 seconds later, yes I counted and the adrenaline slowed my heart beat down making time go by very slow. Finally my gf opens the door and the dog runs inside. She said I should turn on the porch light next time and smiled
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

2. Remove Ads

That probably wouldn't have gone over well, shooting the GF's dog.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Just a what if question about defending yourself against a large dog. I kind of think that if a dog is fairly close to you and about to pounce on you that a firearm may not be your most effective defense. It seems that having a pretty good knife on you is a better weapon for protection. I sort of envision a very chaotic rapidly moving situation where the drawing of the gun and being able to get off a meaningful shot would be more difficult than having a classic serrated knife that can still be used in the ensuing "tussle". Comments? Do not mean to hijack post and apologize if thought of that way, but I think it relates in a meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    That probably wouldn't have gone over well, shooting the GF's dog.
    Nope.......chicks do NOT like that very much.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

You've just had 1st hand experience of 1 of the benefits of owning a large dog like a Mastiff. Sounds like you both just startled eachother and the fact that it was dark out and the dog couldn't make out your face to recognize you is what sparked all the noise and flying drool. I own a 130lb Saint Bernard so i'm familiar with large breed dogs and how different people react to them. I went to school in downtown Detroit for a few years and people would literally change sides of the street when they saw me walking her...and i'm talking a block or 2 away. Pretty funny. She also put someone up on the roof of their car 1 time. I'll never forget that person's face.
    In different circumstances, larger dogs offer a larger target, but i am much more apt to breaking out the pepper spray before the gun. A shot of that to the nose, a nose 400x more sensitive than ours, should be enough to deter them. Obviously not fool proof, but that would be my 1st defense. At night, a bright flashlight might do the trick too, especially if it has a strobe function. If nothing else, next time you walk outside and meet the Mastiff, you can use it to light your own face so the dog can tell who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Just a what if question about defending yourself against a large dog. I kind of think that if a dog is fairly close to you and about to pounce on you that a firearm may not be your most effective defense. It seems that having a pretty good knife on you is a better weapon for protection. I sort of envision a very chaotic rapidly moving situation where the drawing of the gun and being able to get off a meaningful shot would be more difficult than having a classic serrated knife that can still be used in the ensuing "tussle". Comments? Do not mean to hijack post and apologize if thought of that way, but I think it relates in a meaningful way.
    Dont worry about the hijaking, just wanted to tell my story=) I thought about it after, I have a Gerber Automatic 06 and its half serrated but if it came down to it I'd still use my gun if I had to, Ive actually been thinking about going to get that new pepper spray from kimber since its on sale and use that for situations like this.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Nope.......chicks do NOT like that very much.
    You can get away with forgetting her Birthday (painfully) but killing her dog might be the end of it...

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    well- if you really want to keep the girlfriend, I'd suggest you make friends with the dog , some cheap steak cuts, or maybe some steak/beef scraps from the local butchers shop, might go a long ways towards winning Fido's heart.......my guess would be that pepper-spraying the dog would not endear you to either the dog nor its owner.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I don't think anything can beat a gun in your hand for killing a dog, but for defending yourself against a dog that you may not want to kill, just drive off, or as in the OP's post is some one's dog you know, aside from pepper spray BEFORE it's on you (doing so while already in attack mode will only aggravate it), you control the ears, you control the dog. And if you can get a good knee or a well placed punter's kick in the diaphragm area, knocking the wind out of the dog, it will behave in the same manner as us and be incapcitated for a brief time. Of course all this is pretty tough to do and there isn't really a morally acceptable way to practice, but that's the theory from some folks I know who have been there done that.
    That said, a barking dog as in this case is a startled dog. I would be more worried if it was giving me the eye and not barking.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    well- if you really want to keep the girlfriend, I'd suggest you make friends with the dog , some cheap steak cuts, or maybe some steak/beef scraps from the local butchers shop, might go a long ways towards winning Fido's heart.......my guess would be that pepper-spraying the dog would not endear you to either the dog nor its owner.
    Good idea

Throwing my two cents into the mix--I'm inclined to agree that a gun wouldn't be the best option when dealing with a dog in a close-combat scenario. They're better designed for combat, physically, than a human is for one. For another, a gun can only strike in one direction at a time, whereas something like a knife can be spun immediately to a new threatened area with a reasonably good allowance for being slightly off-target.

That said, while I may mention the use of a knife.. Yeah, pepper-spraying your girl's dog really would be better than shooting it or even knifing it. Heck, I'd try to spray it even if it attacked me--You get more sympathy that way, after everything is done.
    I'm a home security analyst for Guardian Security Systems in Nashville, TN. That's really about it.

Links