Police Officer pulling gun - Page 3

Police Officer pulling gun

This is a discussion on Police Officer pulling gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pete14 I watch the TV show cops quite a bit and I have noticed situations where the Officer pulls or doesn't pull ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police Officer pulling gun

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I watch the TV show cops quite a bit and I have noticed situations where the Officer pulls or doesn't pull his weapon and have always wondered at what point does an Officer feel like he needs to pull his gun from his holster?
    The thing I notice about TV cops is endless repetition of this cycle:
    (a) LEO points pistol (which would seem to imply a threat to use it) and commands suspect to freeze
    (b) suspect runs away
    (c) LEO holsters pistol and chases suspect.

I hope that real LEOs do better than this!

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Reminds me of the detective in one of the Death Wish movies that always had the cigar butt in his chops.
    The last 10 years I was on...cruisers were still smoking zones, but it was considered bad form to be seen actually smoking by the public. I wonder how many people know how important coffee and cigarettes are to a cop....lol. I am glad we had take-home cruisers...the first time I had to get a motor pool cruiser because mine was down for repair...I found a stinkin' spit cup in the cup holder. When I was an FTO I banned rooks from chewing in my rig...one time you get terbaccer spit on your MDT...you might be short a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    The thing I notice about TV cops is endless repetition of this cycle:
    (a) LEO points pistol (which would seem to imply a threat to use it) and commands suspect to freeze
    (b) suspect runs away
    (c) LEO holsters pistol and chases suspect.

I hope that real LEOs do better than this!
    Depends upon where you are and what he/she has done. It is most often bad juju to shoot a fleeing subject unless the danger they pose to the public is so grave and immediate that allowing them to escape is would be more of a danger than letting them go to catch another time (i.e. active shooter subject, etc etc) Chime in here Guantes.

I agree completely. If you do it, you better be able to articulate why.

Re the smokes and joe. I'm still a puffer, but I could never stand coffee. I tried sugar, cream, etc, wound up being a life long Coke/Pepsi freak.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I think MOST of the "pre-drwawn weapon" stuff has come into being since they started using all the whiz-bang doble/triple/quadruple RETENTION holsters.

Some LEO.... (not all) .... are VERY lax in their knowlege and ability to use their firearm.
    I know several who NEVER take it out of the holster except to qualify at the range.
    And one recently left a Glock in the bathroom at town hall..... then went home. never noticed til town clerk found it and called on cell.

Some may feel they need to "pull it while they can" out of fear they won't be able to if/when needed.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. It was frequently done in the 60's and I wouldn't call the Hoyts and Jordans that were common, retention holsters and many of those people were very fast. It wasn't a question of fear, it was to gain an edge.

I just completed a one day combat firearms course presented by a guest instructor yesterday. Most of the work done was from a completely secured Level III duty holster. The ability to get your weapon into the fight as quickly and accurately as possible was the message of the day. Lateral movement during the draw and when reloading along with movement forward and backwards while engageing the taget was also done using Speedwell shoot , don't shoot targets with time limits ( four seconds to engage three targets from the holster). Approximately 250 rounds were fired by each of the participants. The theme revolved around the fact that it is very difficult to play catch up in a gunfight so your awareness factor and ability to react needs to be in gear. Whatever edge you can get needs to be utilized for you to prevail in the confrontation. If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin.

P.S.
    Guantes my first duty holster was a Jordan Border Patrol with hammer strap and my first firearms retention course was the one designed by Officer Lindell.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

This happened to my brother:
    He lives in Texas. He and his wife just bought a new double wide trailer, in a mobile home park. The trailer had been abandoned for quite some time. The seller made a bunch of repairs. A day or two after my brother moveed in there was a knock on the door. Borther goes to answer and there is a cop there, with gun drawn pointing it at my brother through the door. Cop ask "Are you 'joe blow?' My brother says no. Cop has him step outside. When he does two more cops, one on each side of door grab him and place him against the wall. They get his ID. After finding out he wasn't the guy they were looking for the ask who else is in the house. My brother tells them, his wife and granddaughter. Cops ask if they can go in and look. After looking the explain that they were looking for a guy who's girlfriend lived a few trailers down and sh told them the guy used to hang out at this trailer.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Re the smokes and joe. I'm still a puffer, but I could never stand coffee. I tried sugar, cream, etc, wound up being a life long Coke/Pepsi freak.
    What! You don't do the Dew? Thoroughly disappointed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Old School,
    A lot of my friends wore Jordan Border Patrol holsters with the hammer strap. I preferred a Hoyt, as it could be special ordered and I preferred a low ride holster. Mine was made for my Model 27 3-1/2", had a four inch drop and a thirty-five degree "gunfighter" cant. By the time Lindell was working on retention, I had over ten years on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What! You don't do the Dew? Thoroughly disappointed.
    Sorry about that.

I always used the Safariland SSIII holster. I was sold on it when I got into a tussle with a very angry, very drunk, 400lb native american in a bar in South Tucson. He tried every whichaway to get my 1911 out of the holster up to the point of actually lifting me up by the grip frame of my gun!

I am no little feller at 6'4" and 240lbs...but this big ole boy was tossing me around like a rag doll.

FINALLY I got him in a choke (growing up on a horse ranch riding rough stock must have paid off) because it took me all I had to put the guy out...I was trying to choke him through four chins and a neck as thick as your average oak tree. I mean...numerous blows from my sap (yes we could still carry them way back then) had ZERO effect on this guy. When he finally went down, I had to draw on a couple more of his just-as-angry-and-drunk friends who came through the door. Thank God South Tucson officers finally showed up...otherwise I'd have had to start shooting,

Old Wagon Wheel bar on South 6th in South Tucson....what an outhouse.

The point...SSIII is the best EVER retention holster made. Very fast, and extremely secure. I used one for every model of pistol I ever carried on Duty. Smith 686, 1911, or Glock. Best EVER.

Hell Brother....my wife has a THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR A MONTH Starbucks habit! Personally I can't stand that five-dollar-a-cup burnt sludge and I am quite happy with Circle k Hazelnut coffee (and THAT is as gay as I can ever be).

But yeah....substitute soda for coffee...same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Whenever we feel a perceived threat to ourself or others. Again locking onto the force continuum.

1.Verbal
    2.Oc spray
    3.Hands on
    4.Non lethal means- Tazer, baton
    5.Firearms
    Note: one can go from stage 1 to stage 5 to get back to stage 1 if the situation dictates.
    Kudos to you guys in uniform, I couldn't do it. For me it would be 1 skip 2,3 and 4.......FIVE. I know it takes a lot fortitude and restraint to deal with some of the people you all have to deal with and still remain safe and civil.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Old Wagon Wheel bar on South 6th in South Tucson....what an outhouse."

I never knew a tavern named "Wagon Wheel" that wasn't.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links