Caught on tape, armed homeowner confronts two burglars......... - Page 2

Caught on tape, armed homeowner confronts two burglars.........

This is a discussion on Caught on tape, armed homeowner confronts two burglars......... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1911srule He'd have been safer calling cops and waiting outside garage at least. Even then I'd be afraid cop would mistake owner ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caught on tape, armed homeowner confronts two burglars.........

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    He'd have been safer calling cops and waiting outside garage at least. Even then I'd be afraid cop would mistake owner for perp. I understand frustration and feeling like you need to act. Catch 22, Could've been easily shot as he entered. If his garage had a camera, you'd think he'd have it at least secured with a proper door. That tarp was an invite to any coyote looking for an easy target imho.Damn lucky guy.I got a neighbor who refuses to lock up and it attracts kids constantly. Dumb.Where we live , we're on our own. Rural, police may or may not get there in time to apprehend BG. Hard decision...
    Cops rarely shoot first, ask questions later. I'm all for going prone as I yell, "I'm the owner; the perps are in there." I think they'd be obliging.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    And this my friends is what happens when you start to 2nd guessing your self and is not prepared mentally. I'm almost sure that if the BG had a loaded gun, the BG would have started shooting 1st.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    It's easy to armchair the event on video, and I'm sure (in my mind) that I wouldn't opt for a mexican standoff.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'm not going inside a place I can't see before just barging in.I would have waited outside with my shotty and called 911,they would never know I'm there until they pop out and I shout commands,non-compliance immediately,hands going to pockets,and they get fired on.I live in Texas and by law I don't even have to shout a warning
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    The homeowner has more kahunas than brains.
    How many Kahunas do you need?????

MJK
    If he was aware of the break-in a call to 911 would have been more appropriate. He could have then taken shelter in a safe room while staying in contact with the dispatcher. House-clearing should be left to the professionals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    As I mentioned in the previous thread, I'm not going to give a criminal an even break if I can avoid it. I'd be outside next to the truck with a gauge.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm not going inside a place I can't see before just barging in.I would have waited outside with my shotty and called 911,they would never know I'm there until they pop out and I shout commands,non-compliance immediately,hands going to pockets,and they get fired on.I live in Texas and by law I don't even have to shout a warning
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    He'd have been safer calling cops and waiting outside garage at least. Even then I'd be afraid cop would mistake owner for perp. I understand frustration and feeling like you need to act. Catch 22, Could've been easily shot as he entered. If his garage had a camera, you'd think he'd have it at least secured with a proper door. That tarp was an invite to any coyote looking for an easy target imho.Damn lucky guy.I got a neighbor who refuses to lock up and it attracts kids constantly. Dumb.Where we live , we're on our own. Rural, police may or may not get there in time to apprehend BG. Hard decision...

^^^^^^^^I'm in the WAIT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It -outside- by -the- corner- of- my -house -and-confront- them- there camp

Too may unforseen variables once inside the garage with that tarp.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Old Vet,
    I agree that would work if police roll up on the place. I'm in a rural area, they may or may not. Might park and enter on foot. Best to have wife call 911 and give my description maybe. I'll be the guy holding an 870. I can't say how I'd respond, depends. But possibly position myself outside to observe where perp entered and listen. Prone 'em out when they leave that building. Here's my concern, the perp MAY have a lookout or two that might blindside ya.In PA without a castle doctrine leaving the confines of the home leave owner at a disadvantage legally. At present might be best to just notify police and get best descriptions without leaving the home. The security of family members is highest priority, not loss of property from out buildings. Just a hard pill to swallow, most of the time police will not apprehend offenders...

I remember a similar thread a couple of months ago - the consensus was, that if the man could afford suveillance cameras - he could also afford a decent garage door - instead of a tarp that would just invite theives in.

Guy was extremely lucky.

No brains, no cojones; just a whole lot of stupid and a bit of luck all around.

Why go out there at all? You've got a video camera set up, so the bad guys will probably get caught.

Also, the guy leaves the women and children in the house WITHOUT ANY PROTECTION and goes out into an unknown situation. What if there was another perp who went into the house while he was outside playing cops and robbers? Who would protect the women and children? He should have stayed in the house to protect them instead.

I have a gun at home for SELF DEFENSE, not for defending my garage. If someone threatens me or my family (i.e. they come upstairs in the middle of the night), I shoot first and ask questions later. That's where I'm staying and that's what I'm protecting. NOBODY COMES UPSTAIRS. But if they're trying to steal my lawnmower, I call 911 and wait for the cops. It's not worth the risk of 1. getting shot, 2. leaving my family unprotected, and 3. going to jail for shooting someone who is NOT threatening my life.

Whether the wife/family is left WITHOUT ANY PROTECTION, is dependent on the circumstances involved and the training and means available to those left in the house.

1. Dependent on circumstances, training, experience and ability.
    2. Covered above.
    3. If they are not a threat, don't shoot them.
    4. Statutes relative to individual action against criminal activities.

The course of action chosen is up to the individual, based an a number of factors. I fault no one for either choice if proper consideration is given to the factors involved.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Point taken about different circumstances and factors, but you are talking about taking risks. I am talking about minimizing risks.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    It's a dupe thread and the home owner is still a moron.

Wow, I just watched the video. The only thing I can say is, those guys are lucky they didnt come to my house and do that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links