Non event, but glad I was carrying yesterday...

This is a discussion on Non event, but glad I was carrying yesterday... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long time lurker, first time poster with a little report. Yesterday turned out to be a non-event, but it was the first time in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non event, but glad I was carrying yesterday...

Non event, but glad I was carrying yesterday...

Long time lurker, first time poster with a little report.

Yesterday turned out to be a non-event, but it was the first time in my few months of daily carry that I felt that I was in a possibly threatening situation.

I took my dog up to our local "dog wash", a little indoor room connected to a gas station and car wash with all the equipment you need to wash a big dog in a warm place. It's a small, maybe 10x10 room with a single door for entry/exit. It's coin-op, so there's no attendant.

As I was washing my dog, a thuggish looking dude walks right in the glass door to the room from the car wash area. This was strange by itself, because it's obvious through the door that someone is in there. This isn't a place anyone goes just to hang out.

I looked up and said - "can i help you".

He tried to make quick small talk about my dog as he came closer and asked if it was expensive to use the coin op dog wash. I could tell that this conversation was headed towards me being hit up for spare change or cash - maybe worse.

I cut him off, stood up with hand casually towards 4pm IWB and said: "Look, all my change is in the machine and my clock is ticking. You mind letting me finish?"

"Aight man, aight". He walks out.

Didn't reveal the weapon, didn't touch the weapon. But being armed gave me the confidence and peace-of-mind that if the thug tried to escalate things to a threatening level, that he would've lost.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    'Sounds like you definately got 'interviewed'. A lot of these guys intentionally intimidate for hand-outs, without real evil intent if denied - and some are the real evil deal. In either case, by demonstrating that you were not a soft target probably had a lot to do with a good turn out. By keeping your firearm concealed you possibly spared yourself from having to explain it to the police. Good job.

Interesting user name BTW. That book appears to be coming true...

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    As an aside, I've never heard of a coin-operated dog wash until now.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Termination of an interview, with apparent preparation for a negative response will often prevent additional negative actions by the interviewer. Do not discount the possibility of further escalation.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    As an aside, I've never heard of a coin-operated dog wash until now.
    No doubt... with the prices I get charged at PetSmart to get my 100lb GSD bathed I'm betting that would be a money saver... Going to go google now and see if I can find one locally.

Oh, and if that had been me I might have actually had my hand resting on my grip. That close and that guy could have been all over you before you could draw if he was serious.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    No doubt... with the prices I get charged at PetSmart to get my 100lb GSD bathed I'm betting that would be a money saver... Going to go google now and see if I can find one locally.

Oh, and if that had been me I might have actually had my hand resting on my grip. That close and that guy could have been all over you before you could draw if he was serious.
    Good luck - it's the only one i've seen in this area. You can't beat $7 to give the beast a nice warm bath. Here's the google street view picture of the setup here, where this whole story went down:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...45.59,,0,-8.13

3D
    Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    . . . [with omissions]

I'm liking the hand resting on the grip also.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    I'm liking the hand resting on the grip also.
    Thanks for the feedback. I think you're right.

The situation gave me a lot to think about - it's easy to postulate how you would react in a given scenario, but it's a lot harder to make the mental transition in a matter of seconds to decide that you _are_ in a threat scenario. SA is key, and I've learned a lot from this forum. The good thing is that I went home safe with my person, wallet, and dignity intact.

Stay safe out there.

I bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas. I downloaded a copy of "The Gift of Fear". I started reading it and I am hoping she reads it.
    What you did was exactly right according to the author.
    You ended the "interview" nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by jongallt View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I think you're right.

The situation gave me a lot to think about - it's easy to postulate how you would react in a given scenario, but it's a lot harder to make the mental transition in a matter of seconds to decide that you _are_ in a threat scenario. SA is key, and I've learned a lot from this forum. The good thing is that I went home safe with my person, wallet, and dignity intact.

Stay safe out there.
    Heh, yep. Us armchair quarterbacks have all the time in the world and hindsight is always 20/20... I think you did real good. You walked away unscathed and didn't have to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    I bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas. I downloaded a copy of "The Gift of Fear". I started reading it and I am hoping she reads it.
    You ended the "interview" nicely.
    GREAT book.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    Have you read Appendix 3 "Gun Safety"? Not something I would want my wife reading. The guy strongly insists that all guns in the house should be locked at all times... Even if you live alone.
    Now back to the thread...

Glad you and your dog are safe. I would say you did well.

VIP Member
    What's the world coming to? A man can't even wash his dog in private without getting hassled. I'm glad it all worked out for you.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Just out of curiosity, how did your dog react to what was going on??

Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how did your dog react to what was going on??
    Yep. I was thinking the same thing.

The dog that I have first of all would tear me appart for trying to "wash" her and secondly if I was and said stranger approached, the "conversation" with her and thug would have been a bloody mess.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links