Active shooters....tell me your thoughts.

This is a discussion on Active shooters....tell me your thoughts. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you think we would have as many active shooter shootings ( like Tuscon) if evey shooter KNEW that after one or two shots he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active shooters....tell me your thoughts.

Active shooters....tell me your thoughts.

Do you think we would have as many active shooter shootings ( like Tuscon) if evey shooter KNEW that after one or two shots he would be reciving return fire from civilians who produced concealed weapons? Yes I know many if not all shooters end w/suicide. It appears that their first goal is many dead. I believe that these type of shooters are true cowards and death other than by their own hand is someting they would fear.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    Do you think we would have as many active shooter shootings ( like Tuscon) if evey shooter KNEW that after one or two shots he would be reciving return fire from civilians who produced concealed weapons? Yes I know many if not all shooters end w/suicide. It appears that their first goal is many dead. I believe that these type of shooters are true cowards and death other than by their own hand is someting they would fear.
    There would still be as many active shooters, but there would not be as many victims.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

In the Tuscon type of crime I think not, this is the act of someone crazy; however general crime IE Robbery Rape car jacking etc... where the criminal wants to get away with it yes if there were a greater chance of meeting someone with a gun willing to fight back these crimes would go down in number by all means..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    There would still be as many active shooters, but there would not be as many victims.....
    Bingo

VIP Member
    It wouldn't always help, even in the Tucson incident there was a CCing civilian that did not draw and fire. Remember, there are MANY (even on this forum) that feel that unless the threat is against THEM specifically, they will not intervene, only "be a good witness".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    It wouldn't always help, even in the Tucson incident there was a CCing civilian that did not draw and fire. Remember, there are MANY (even on this forum) that feel that unless the threat is against THEM specifically, they will not intervene, only "be a good witness".
    True but according to the interview I heard (of the CCW individual) by the time he arrived the man was already empty and people were already wrestling with him so he helped hold him down....said he had his hand on his gun but decided not to draw when arriving on scene and assesing the threat level at that time. GOOD THING as the person who was holding the gun at that time was not the shooter...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    True but according to the interview I heard (of the CCW individual) by the time he arrived the man was already empty and people were already wrestling with him so he helped hold him down....said he had his hand on his gun but decided not to draw when arriving on scene and assesing the threat level at that time. GOOD THING as the person who was holding the gun at that time was not the shooter...
    Agreed, he made the right choice at the time he became involved. I am just trying to make a point that it MAY not change anything based on WHEN some are willing to get involved.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I don't believe that that would be the case. Even with the advance of "shall Issue" the percentage of people who ccw is quite small. Add to that the significant percentage of ccw'rs who receive little or no training and who would be reluctant to intervene, I think that the conditions you state would still be minimal, so would have little or no effect on "nutso" shooters.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I agree that the number of shooting sprees would probably not be reduced, but there would be less victims. I also feel that, when I get my CCW permit, its primary purpose will be to defend me and my family. Everybody has the right to carry and protect themselves, and if somebody chooses not to, it's not my responsibility to risk my life to try to save the day. That said, a threat will be assessed on an individual basis, and I will decide whether to try to stop a threat to somebody other than myself or my family if and when, God forbid, the time comes.

John

The sprees by insane people would not change. I think ZX9RCAM nailed it on the victim count.

I think more people would step up if their actions were covered under something like the Good Samaritan Clause. I'm convinced that many that hold the opinion of 'me and mine' are greatly influenced by the legalities involved and potential costs in freedom and cash.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Agreed, he made the right choice at the time he became involved. I am just trying to make a point that it MAY not change anything based on WHEN some are willing to get involved.
    Yes I see, very good point to make I will agree.... you never know how people will react at all, even if they can help with no risk at all we often see them "just mind thier own business" and do nothing; good point and well taken.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't think the shooter in Tucson (and in most cases) cared if anyone else was armed or would respond.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The key isn't to get people with guns there.

The key is to get people with the proper training and mindset with guns there. Just owning a gun doesn't make one a gunfighter, just like if I go buy a guitar I am not magically Eddie Van Halen.

Taking a life is a serious thing, a lot of people have a lot of issues with it. I would rather have an unarmed person with the right mindset in a situation like that because they will find a way to get the job done, than someone with a CCW who carries and thinks that they are going to just pull a gun and "scare off" the BG's, or "just wound them." If you haven't given consideration to the idea that you may have to take a life, and everything that goes with that, you shouldn't be carrying a gun.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A fact that I don't think many people dwell sufficiently on.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A fact that I don't think many people dwell sufficiently on.
    Agreed and sad to say including in some cases LEO's.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links