LEO in struggle, what is right thing to do - Page 4

LEO in struggle, what is right thing to do

This is a discussion on LEO in struggle, what is right thing to do within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd agree with those that suggest ASKING if the LEO wants help. Best way to get involved -if necessary- without adding the the problem....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: LEO in struggle, what is right thing to do

VIP Member
    I'd agree with those that suggest ASKING if the LEO wants help. Best way to get involved -if necessary- without adding the the problem.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Do not be afraid to ask the officer, "Can I help"? if your not sure. The help needed may not be the use of deadly force but of less than lethal just to allow the officer to regain control the situation.
    Luckily in NC if he says yes the law offers you specific legal protections and benefits should you be injured while helping him.
    http://http://law.onecle.com/north-c...t/15a-405.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Me as an ex LEO, if the officer is in trouble, I'm going to help him. If the BG gets the officer's weapon, I'm going to shoot him.
    X10
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

THere are a number of scenerios. A 50% chance that cops show up and think you are the assailant. What if you see someone punching a cop, you jump out of your car, and fire a shot in the air, and other cops show up.

You're kidding, right?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    I don't think so. He's a troll or just really really "inexperienced". Just go and read past posts.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    in this day and age i would extend help with my cell phone. by the time i parked and hobbled on over, likely that's what the situation would be--over.

now in the very early 1980's when officers knew who was who by the car they drove... i once inquired to an officer whose day did not seem to one of his finest--
    "get help or need it?" he said "need' and i was of assistance. today, that they are in constant radio contact and live video feed from their dash-cam... and even call for back-up on a 10-100...
    i find a situation that they need help to be a bit far fetched. and that help on the way may mistake me for a BG adds stress to a already violable situation.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I would suggest that in the event of your helping an officer and help arrives and thinks that you are also a BG, that the officer you were helping will immediately and loudly attest that you were helping him and are not a BG.

That's what I have done.

C5A
    Recently while going on a "ride along" with the Deputy Sheriff he asked if I was carrying, (I was) and then said "if you see I need help here is how to unlock the shotgun".
    NRA
    Glock 22
    Colt Cobra 38 Spl

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would suggest that in the event of your helping an officer and help arrives and thinks that you are also a BG, that the officer you were helping will immediately and loudly attest that you were helping him and are not a BG.

That's what I have done.
    all things being equal and that you are concious....
    and perhaps it is dark and the many flashing lights add to the confusion...

Murphy has it good. so much so that i fear him in some situations
    of course me proning myself before being asked to sounds like a good idea.
    and saving a life trumps a dry cleaning bill any day.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay
    Murphy has it good. so much so that i fear him in some situations
    of course me proning myself before being asked to sounds like a good idea.
    and saving a life trumps a dry cleaning bill any day.
    An attitude that I am sure will be appreciated, should your intervention be necessary.

I see this is an old thread, re-ignited.. But I did read that link posted on page 2 about the incident with the police offer getting beaten up by the large african american man. After reading the details, I would firmly stand by the actions of the civilian who shot the BG. What was more interesting is how the BG took a shot from the officer's Glock 22 and several shots from the civilian's SIG P220 and seemed totally unphased and was not even on drugs. This would be one of those rare situations I wouldn't want to have a small caliber gun. Then again, it was the final head-shot that seemed to do the trick. So maybe even a .22 caliber would have worked after all.

It appears there was a lot of lawsuits and other nonsense in the aftermath but most of it appears to have been racial issues. Had the civilian and the cop been African-American or had the BG been a white man I suspect none of that garbage would have come about.

Still, I think such a situation would be very cut and dry for me. I'm not going to help chase somebody down unless they just killed somebody. I'm not going to help the cop at all unless it appears there is a life-threatening situation. It isn't worth the lawsuits and whatnot to get involved over a shoplifter or something who is struggling to get away. But if the cop is getting beaten to death or is struggling to bring a man with a weapon under control and looks like he isn't going to succeed (thereby getting shot or stabbed) then I will certainly offer assistance.

I'm not going to put a whole lot of thought into it, as I suspect it would be highly unlikely for such a situation to present itself to me.

I'ld help in anyway possible ... BUT , and I stress the BUT .... I'ld be very very sure the LEO knows I'm there to help THEM ! Yelling out and asking, what can I DO TO HELP YOU OFFICER...... helps. He/she may say... "grab his arm, or grab his leg, or stay back". I've seen even plain clothes LEO's mistaken for being additional BG's coming into the situation. They do not know who you are.

You DO NOT want him thinking you are there to help the BG and that he's now outnumbered. .....

If an Officer is injured or down..... REMEMBER the RADIO ..... cell phones ... cell phones..... get on the RADIO.... it not only instantly tells dispatchers, but other officers near the location (give your location) will be on their way before the dispatcher can say a word. IT also lets them all know instantly, that you are a GOOD GUY on the scene.... they will tell you what to do or ask you to ID yourself in some way so they know who you are when they arrive.

If YOU are on the RADIO, they already know it can't be good.....

I would have no hesitation, BEFORE I entered into the fray, to use the RADIO or call 911 and advise them "help is needed"... again, it's lets them know a GOOD guy is trying to help an officer in trouble.

UNLESS, shots are fired at the officer.... then it's be careful pulling a firearm unless he knows you are there to help him..... otherwise, run the BG over with your car (it's bigger and quicker).

The BG will not be expecting it.

ecorrigan and sigmanluke like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    THere are a number of scenerios. A 50% chance that cops show up and think you are the assailant. What if you see someone punching a cop, you jump out of your car, and fire a shot in the air, and other cops show up.
    What in the Samuel H*ll are you doing discharging your firearm in the air? Are you asking for trouble? If an officer is in need of assistance and you jump out and start discharging rounds when no-one else has done so or when firearms aren't even employed, you might get your hind end shot full of holes.
    I've already posted in this thread a long time ago, but I can say that in the event that something happened I would LOUDLY announce who I was and ask the officer if I could be of assistance. If the answer is in the affirmative, then dive in and help subdue Mister Bad Guy. If the officer tells me in no uncertain terms to stay out of the way, that's exactly what I'll do!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

A lot of people mention the radio. Unfortunately, I've never even seen an officer's radio up close. I have no idea how to work it. I assume there is a button that you press to talk. But are there multiple channels to talk to different people? What exactly would you say if you picked up the radio and started pushing buttons and talking?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links