LEO in struggle, what is right thing to do

This is a discussion on LEO in struggle, what is right thing to do within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by adric22 A lot of people mention the radio. Unfortunately, I've never even seen an officer's radio up close. I have no idea ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: LEO in struggle, what is right thing to do

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    A lot of people mention the radio. Unfortunately, I've never even seen an officer's radio up close. I have no idea how to work it. I assume there is a button that you press to talk. But are there multiple channels to talk to different people? What exactly would you say if you picked up the radio and started pushing buttons and talking?
    Yes, there are several channels, but any of them will do in an emergency. All channels should be monitored by communications, so no worries there. Plain English works best. Just let them know where you are, and whats going on. Keep it short and to the point. Something like "This is adric22, I'm out with your officer who has been shot. We're at Main and 3rd street, BG ran off."
    ecorrigan likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    The best thing to start saying would be something to the affect than an officer needs help NOW, shots fired. If you are armed, make sure you tell them that and give them a description of your clothing. A description of the officer's assailant. They'll ask you for anything else they figure might be pertinent. All you have to do is get on the radio and tell them than an officer needs help and they'll send the National Guard dang near. Around here, every single LEO will respond to a call of Officer Needs Assistance. LE is tightly knit in this area, so it's not a surprise to even see officers from the neighboring cities or towns respond to a shots fired call!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Good advice above. The location is the most important thing, especially with larger cities/departments, then details.
    I had a citizen broadcast, "Send help on Hubbard.", nothing else. A sharp station dispatcher knew it was me and where I was, as I had gone Code6 (out for investigation) at a location on Hubbard a few minutes earlier. He gave that information to central dispatch who broadcast it. Shortly thereafter, the "Red Snake" arrived.
    ecorrigan likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I'd ask and if the officer needed my help I'm going all in. They put their neck on the line day after day to protect me and mine so you're darn tootin' I'd return the favor.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, there are several channels, but any of them will do in an emergency. All channels should be monitored by communications, so no worries there. Plain English works best. Just let them know where you are, and whats going on. Keep it short and to the point. Something like "This is adric22, I'm out with your officer who has been shot. We're at Main and 3rd street, BG ran off."
    Just to add, all you need to do is grab the mic, press the button, wait a second and start talking, let go of button when done. Just like a CB radio. If someone (dispatch or another officer) doesn't respond right away just pick up the cell phone and dial 911. We have local talk around channels we use to talk to each other on a post that aren't monitored by communications since they don't go through the repeaters and depending our location, weather, moon phase, day of week... sometimes transmission on those channels from a portable sucks and no one can hear you.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

IMHO .....
    Key words :

"I"m trying to assist an officer in trouble " ............ then............

If you say, "officer down @ (location)" or "officer shot @ (location) " .... you better mean it, because the Army will arrive in force.

"officer needs assistance @ (location) " ...... then a short description of what's going on.

The dispatcher will lock down the channel to emergency traffic only and may redirect others to another channel, will likely have you ID yourself or ask you for more information.... which then any officer responding to the call will also hear.

It would not hurt to say (especially if it's a shot or down officer) .... " I do have a CC license" .... they will either ask, or assume that means you are armed. Surprises are not good. They may be relieved to know someone is there with a gun to protect their cohort from further harm and not shoot you the instant they see you with a gun in your hand....best to holster it the instant you see them coming unless your life depends upon it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

People keep mentioning the radio, but question for you. Let's say this is a traffic stop and you are walking on the street and see the officer and BG wrestling. The first thing that occurs to me is, what if the officer recovers, only to look up and see me in his car. For all he knows, I could be an associate of the BG and trying to arm myself (shotgun in the front or using his car as a weapon). If there was a weapon involved in the conflict he was just in/still is in, he may be quite on edge and feel he has to protect himself from multiple assailants from several directions.

Even if me being in the car just distracts him, it may take his attention away just long enough for the BG to reverse the tide, grab his gun, etc. As someone mentioned earlier, it just takes a split second to reverse the direction of things like this.

I have to say I think I'd call 911 from my cell phone. It accomplishes mainly the same thing and keeps the good guys safer (me from getting accidently shot, and the officer from accidently shooting someone).

As others have alluded to here, I think the appropriate response to an officer in trouble depends on the situation. I also think there are plenty of examples where dialing 911 is NOT the appropriate first step. I think communicating with the officer first and foremost (if possible) would be a great first step. Let the officer know you are a good guy and are here to help. Let's run through a couple scenarios.

1) If the officer is in a grappling match with the suspect (even if it started as a fist fight, street fights usually end up with the opponents grabbing each other and/or going to the ground), you could easily run up and say, "Officer, do you need assistance?" If he responds, follow his instructions. Another option would be just to run up and declare yourself as a good guy by saying "Officer, I'm here to help" and then grab the suspect. If the officer is in control or doesn't want your help, he'll tell you to step away. I honestly can't picture myself seeing an officer fighting with a suspect, and me taking the time to call 911 before offering to help. As others have said, just an extra set of hands on the suspect can give the officer enough edge to regain control of the situation. Who knows how the tides could turn in the 30 seconds I spend on the phone? Most fights probably last less than 2 minutes...do I really want to spend 25% of the officer's struggle on the phone? I wouldn't want to waste time calling 911 unless I could do it as I am running to help.

2) If the officer is incapacitated, and the suspect is still beating/cutting/kicking/aiming at/shooting the officer, you don't have time to dial 911 IMO. Act IMMEDIATELY to stop the threat to the officer's life. Precious seconds during a beating can mean the difference between life, paralysis, permanent brain damage, and death. Taking the time to dial 911 in this scenario would be foolish IMO.

3) If the officer is in a shootout, that's a whole 'nother can of worms. There are so many variations on this one, it is impossible to slap on a blanket plan of action that would be appropriate in all cases. Maybe the officer is pinned down behind some poor cover, and your best course of action would be to put your vehicle between the shooter and the officer. Maybe there is a group of shooters that are clearly overwhelming the officer, and you could run them over or scatter them with your vehicle (at the risk of being caught in the crossfire). But if the officer is conscious and taking cover, chances are he/she has already alerted fellow officers of the situation. So again, if I think the officer's life is in danger, and he/she needs my IMMEDIATE help, I will probably help physically before calling 911.

Needless to say, these are only my opinions. Each person may choose to act differently.
    Last edited by SigHawk; July 6th, 2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Quote Originally Posted by bds9009 View Post
    People keep mentioning the radio, but question for you. Let's say this is a traffic stop and you are walking on the street and see the officer and BG wrestling. The first thing that occurs to me is, what if the officer recovers, only to look up and see me in his car. For all he knows, I could be an associate of the BG and trying to arm myself (shotgun in the front or using his car as a weapon). If there was a weapon involved in the conflict he was just in/still is in, he may be quite on edge and feel he has to protect himself from multiple assailants from several directions.

Even if me being in the car just distracts him, it may take his attention away just long enough for the BG to reverse the tide, grab his gun, etc. As someone mentioned earlier, it just takes a split second to reverse the direction of things like this.

I have to say I think I'd call 911 from my cell phone. It accomplishes mainly the same thing and keeps the good guys safer (me from getting accidently shot, and the officer from accidently shooting someone).
    There is no need to enter the vehicle. I have yet to see a radio that didn't have a long enough mike cord to reach outside the vehicle. Reach inside, grab the mike and make the assistance call. The officer will see you outside the vehicle with the mike, calling for assistance, not attempting to obtain a weapon from inside the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    There is no need to enter the vehicle. I have yet to see a radio that didn't have a long enough mike cord to reach outside the vehicle. Reach inside, grab the mike and make the assistance call. The officer will see you outside the vehicle with the mike, calling for assistance, not attempting to obtain a weapon from inside the vehicle.
    Yes, and at the same time, the officer will hear you speak from his mic as well.

Months ago I watched in news that a officer was struggling with a bad guy in a parking lot of a supermarket. Lots of people were watching but no one was helping.
    One women we had taser gun with her, tasered the bad buy to help the officer.

I will help police officers if they need help by any means.
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org
    Member: georgiapacking.org
    Member: gonforum.com

Like Timezoneguy, I was once a medic. One night in a small ER, we heard a commotion in one of the exam rooms. A druggie/prisoner had gotten the best of a LEO and was busy thrashing him when we entered the room. Without hesitation, my partner and I joined the melee. This guy was whacked on PCP and had super human strength. Unfortunately, the LEO was able to reach his pepper spray and deliver a healthy dose to the whole room. The BG was unfazed but we still hung on to him until the LEO was able to cuff him. We knew the LEO but it wouldn't have mattered. I would do it again.
    db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

well, sometimes there is no calling anyone, it's jumping in and doing what needs to be done.

DB4usa; good job.

I seemed to have a knack for walking around the wrong corner at the wrong time, all of the time.... and the ..... was on.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

A good sap can work wonders in these kinds of events.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links