unwanted visitor - Page 2

unwanted visitor

This is a discussion on unwanted visitor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Every granny needs a nice shelter dog to let people know that she is never alone. They make great companions. I keep pepper spray and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Every granny needs a nice shelter dog to let people know that she is never alone. They make great companions. I keep pepper spray and a cane next to my front door and I can see from inside the house who is there before answering. Your buddy will get the word out to his friends that there is a large male that lives at that residence.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Re: Not answering the door- last year we had a half dozen homes broken into in the neighborhood. They targeted houses without home-alarm yard signs then knock on the front door to see if anyone was home, no answer then they go around to the carport or backyard and kick the door in. If someone answers they use the line looking for work or a handout. If they may kick the door in should grandma just answer the door, tough call...
    If I don't recognize the guy on my porch I'll be armed before opening the door, considering he may be casing the place for a break-in. If it's one of those guys then it is made very clear (in a polite manner) that he has picked the wrong house and neighborhood before calling the police.

I still answer my door.

'Cause the last time I went out on my porch with my rifle, none of the neighbors were out there with theirs, so it ain't time yet.

OTOH, I do use the peephole. And out here we don't have a bunch of city winos trying to dust walks, or wash cars.

Chris, I think you did fine. I'm glad you called the PD to report it, your neighbors may not be so well prepared.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Did you ask Grandma if he had been there before? Maybe that is why he was going to walk right in....

Peepholes and sidelights are great to see who is there, but I would still be armed when I was looking out. Why not?
    I am generally already armed, so I would not disarm. But on the few days I am not already armed I usually do the same thing. Grab a weapon and go look outside at who is at the door.

The rescue dog for Grandma was the best idea unless you already have a dog.

Sled

I actually had a cop ask me once if I always answered my door at home armed with a gun... I told him flat out YES.. and if he didnt do the same at his house he was a frigging idiot.... He didnt like that too much...

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Grandma was looking at him from behind me and would have said something if she knew him, and we have a chiuaua, very loud very irritating when something she dosen't like is going on, she was going crazy the whole time and had she been let loose probably would have licked the man to death
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I came home from work one day and saw fresh shoe prints (grass was wet but deck dry) on my front deck. Asked my SO if someone stopped by, she said two guys just knocked on the door, she looked through the peep hole, didn't recognize them and didn't answer the door. Then she saw them walk to the neighbors house.
    I said "good job" on not answering the door and called my neighbor to see whats up. He said a guy and girl in there mid 20's where going around the neighborhood asking if people needed their carpet cleaned.
    She did good on not answering the door...but need to pay attention to physical descriptions.

Its a personal decision and a judgement call re answering the door.
    Example, for the post above this one.
    Your SO has been in a serious traffic accident and transported to the hospital. All the PD uniformed officers are tied up so the desk Seargent asks a couple dicks/narcs that are not busy to drive out to their listed residence and notify family/SO/etc, that they are seriously injured and in the hospital. You decide not to answer the door.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Its a personal decision and a judgement call re answering the door.
    Example, for the post above this one.
    Your SO has been in a serious traffic accident and transported to the hospital. All the PD uniformed officers are tied up so the desk Seargent asks a couple dicks/narcs that are not busy to drive out to their listed residence and notify family/SO/etc, that they are seriously injured and in the hospital. You decide not to answer the door.
    Posit a scenario. *raises hand* I want to play!

My scenario: Playboy bus breaks down in front of your house. All the girls are tired, hungry, and need a shower. They knock on your door hoping to all get a chance in your shower. You fail to answer the door.

I have a window light, and many salesmen, beggars, miscreants, girls scouts, bums, and peddlars have seen my eye in the small window and never had me answer the door. If a narc/plain clothes dick comes to my door, they can either flash some creds or cool their heels.

Not a scenario, actual occurrence. IF you don't answer the door or they don't see your eye in the peep, how do they know to flash creds. They might announce/might not. Your problem, not mine, I answer the door.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I am not going to be trapped in my own house, and be afraid to answer he door. A few weeks ago, I had the oppurtunity to help a man out who had run out of gas by answering the door. Fear will not stop me from answering my own door, but I will be prepared.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Do you grab your .45 every time someone knocks on your door? The girl scouts need to know this for cookie sales time.
    I never use to worry about people at my door until it happened to me (twice). The front door is all triple-pane semi transparent glass so I can partially see who it is. The garage entry/access door is where I have problems. I keep saying Iíll put in a peephole but I havenít yet. As it is, I try to at least have my OC device if not my snub.
    ďMonsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.Ē
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I am not going to be trapped in my own house, and be afraid to answer he door. A few weeks ago, I had the oppurtunity to help a man out who had run out of gas by answering the door. Fear will not stop me from answering my own door, but I will be prepared.
    Who said anything about being afraid? You're posting like those anti-gun people who laugh at YOU and call you afraid for your ccw.

I simply don't wish to waste time (if I am at home) talking to salesmen, beggars, girl scouts, tradesmen, or miscreants. I am not remotely afraid of them. Look at the OP again. Instead of looking out the door or peephole to see a scruffy hobo and go back to his morning preperations, he has to drag out the .45 and have a argument with a bum. If I see that guy out there, I go back to my routine and wait for him to wander off. If my uninvited caller is smart enough to be burglar casing my house, he will certainly notice three cars, a crisply mowed lawn, no papers on the driveway, and plenty of curious neighbors. If he still wants to attempt to get past my physical security and get in, he's in for a rude surprise.

Trapped? I ride a bike almost everyday, I walk 18 holes of golf at least once a week, and walk my grandkids around the neighborhood. I am a platinum flyer on a major airline. I am headed out to my outdoor jacuzzi in a few to enjoy a hot soak and a stogie. I'm certainly not cowering behind my locked doors quaking in fear. I just can't be bothered with useless BeeEss. Also, as I have posted here before, a couple years ago, a bloodied youth knocked on a neighbor's door, and asked for help. He attacked the 62 year-old Good Samaritan, beat him nearly to death, and sexually assaulted his wife.

Great that you were able to help some loser who can't read his own gas gauge. There's a gas station less than a quarter mile from my home, and I don't keep gas in the garage as I don't have any gas-consuming doodads other than my cars. I am not AAA, and I don't have medical training. If someone on the porch wants help, I'll happily dial 911 for them from behind my locked door. I can quickly summon a professional to help them with any issue they may have: AAA, cops, ambulance, etc.

That's not fear, that is putting safety for me and mine FIRST.
    Last edited by MadMac; January 28th, 2011 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Good morning, Mrs Dewlap.
    You're wrong for that!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

VIP Member
    I have two windows on the side of my door. I can clearly see who is outside. I also have a locking storm door that stays locked. At 6' 225 I'm not too worried about old men and girl scouts. In fact, I'm a sucker for those dang cookies! :(
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links