unwanted visitor - Page 3

unwanted visitor

This is a discussion on unwanted visitor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; soo basically you think I should have hid behind my front door and waited for him to break it down assuming noone was home? I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: unwanted visitor

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    soo basically you think I should have hid behind my front door and waited for him to break it down assuming noone was home? I don't subscribe to that line of thinking, sorry but as long as I am living, I will answer my front door, alibeit armed and ready to react. There is too much to risk by not answering and not enough to gain, personally thats how i feel
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Who said anything about being afraid? You're posting like those anti-gun people who laugh at YOU and call you afraid for your ccw.

I simply don't wish to waste time (if I am at home) talking to salesmen, beggars, girl scouts, tradesmen, or miscreants. I am not remotely afraid of them. Look at the OP again. Instead of looking out the door or peephole to see a scruffy hobo and go back to his morning preperations, he has to drag out the .45 and have a argument with a bum. If I see that guy out there, I go back to my routine and wait for him to wander off. If my uninvited caller is smart enough to be burglar casing my house, he will certainly notice three cars, a crisply mowed lawn, no papers on the driveway, and plenty of curious neighbors. If he still wants to attempt to get past my physical security and get in, he's in for a rude surprise.

Trapped? I ride a bike almost everyday, I walk 18 holes of golf at least once a week, and walk my grandkids around the neighborhood. I am a platinum flyer on a major airline. I am headed out to my outdoor jacuzzi in a few to enjoy a hot soak and a stogie. I'm certainly not cowering behind my locked doors quaking in fear. I just can't be bothered with useless BeeEss. Also, as I have posted here before, a couple years ago, a bloodied youth knocked on a neighbor's door, and asked for help. He attacked the 62 year-old Good Samaritan, beat him nearly to death, and sexually assaulted his wife.

Great that you were able to help some loser who can't read his own gas gauge. There's a gas station less than a quarter mile from my home, and I don't keep gas in the garage as I don't have any gas-consuming doodads other than my cars. I am not AAA, and I don't have medical training. If someone on the porch wants help, I'll happily dial 911 for them from behind my locked door. I can quickly summon a professional to help them with any issue they may have: AAA, cops, ambulance, etc.

That's not fear, that is putting safety for me and mine FIRST.
    Im not really sure what the big deal is here, or what point you are trying to make. Not everyone sees things the same way, nor will handle a situation or occurance in the same manner. The OP answered his door, was prepared to deal with whatever the situation may have turned in to. He basically told a person that had questionable motives to hit the road and notified the authorities. No harm no foul.

You choose to not open the door, and look through your little peephole. And? You dont agree with the way he handled his situation based on you would have done it differently?

Additionally, someone is a loser because they run out of gas? Because they are down on their luck? With an attitude like that, maybe you better stay behind the peephole.

Maybe your age requires you to be more cautious, which is absolutly understandable. The OP is fairly young, and of a good size as to be able to handle himself.

Could he have handled it differently? Of course, we can look back on any occurence or incident and critique our response or actions. It is easy to be critical of anything with the benefit of hindsight, but I can find no fault with his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Additionally, someone is a loser because they run out of gas? Because they are down on their luck? With an attitude like that, maybe you better stay behind the peephole.

Maybe your age requires you to be more cautious, which is absolutly understandable. The OP is fairly young, and of a good size as to be able to handle himself.

Could he have handled it differently? Of course, we can look back on any occurence or incident and critique our response or actions. It is easy to be critical of anything with the benefit of hindsight, but I can find no fault with his actions.
    No big deal - just a discussion board where we can discuss safety and personal risk management issues. Isn't that what we do here?

I have nothing to prove to you, but I am mid-fifties, 6'1", 220lbs retired military - workout at least five days a week and ride a bike to/from gym/store/ and for fun. Let's just say I don't look like a pushover. I can "handle" myself as well. However, I find it odd that you would think swinging open your door to a bum while grabbing a pistol is considered good form, while a proposal to simply look and ignore makes one "afraid". I was simply proposing a less risky alternative. Age has nothing to do it. Safety is safety regardless of age. Just because I am fit enough to engage in a fight doesn't mean I seek to encourage it.

On a previous post I mentioned one of my safety rules: the less a loaded gun is manipulated, the safer we all are. My comments on the OP were meant to highlight the fact the gun didn't need to be grabbed and the caller conveniently ignored. If the uninvited caller had murderous intent (like the guy in our neighborhood a couple years ago), you now have a potential struggle and potential SD shooting. But since you big, tough guys are really just looking forward to giving someone a good beat-down and a legal shoot anyway, I guess opening your front door to trouble is what you look forward to.

My wife an I are active in two charities with both our time and money. However, I have a rule: we don't dispense charity at our front door. That's a safety rule. For us. YMMV.

Am I being "critical"? Only in your eyes. I was simply posting alternatives. I thought that's why we had this board: to discuss these issues. Sorry if not everyone shares your viewpoint.

To the OP i"m glad it was your instead of your grandma opening the door. I'd say get her another dog, but bigger. I think you did great concerning positioning yourself and giving verbal commands. and there is nothing wrong with having firearm in hand , it would be foolish to answer the door with out it.

The "open don't open" debate is one that will always have differing sides.
    For me and my house if the door gets open to a stranger, I'm the one doing it and i AM armed with firearm in hand, and in ready low position with the door opened partly so my whole right side of my body is concealed and my right foot is acting as a stop, if they advance And push the door then i am in a ready position.It may not be the best tactical positioning but it what i do However it is a RARE occasion that my door opens.
    Quick Story:
    Years ago before I decided not to open my door to every knock , i had a pushy salesman, when i finally told him no enough he walked away (note he did not com into my home) a few minutes later he was knocking on my door again. so I retrieved my shotty and went to the door and racked the slide and answered with the door shotty in view...LOL he didnt have much to say except.. uh um...uh...um... bye. LOL
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    I actually had a cop ask me once if I always answered my door at home armed with a gun... I told him flat out YES.. and if he didnt do the same at his house he was a frigging idiot.... He didnt like that too much...
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    soo basically you think I should have hid behind my front door and waited for him to break it down assuming noone was home? I don't subscribe to that line of thinking, sorry but as long as I am living, I will answer my front door, alibeit armed and ready to react. There is too much to risk by not answering and not enough to gain, personally thats how i feel
    Funny, but the only anecdotal evidence I have is that the greater risk lies in opening your door. I guess you're saying that if you don't answer the door, a miscreant will likely break it down assuming no one is at home. Was that what this uninvited visitor was planning? I don't think statistics favor that view.

For the dozens of salesmen, tradesmen, beggars, girl scouts, cub scouts, politicians, and panhandlers that have come to my door over the many years we've lived here, not one has ever tried to forcibly enter my home.

In any case, here in NC, we don't have a Castle Doctrine, but we do have a specific law that gives me the legal right to use deadly force if someone is trying to forcibly enter my home. So yes, I'll wait for someone to try to forcibly enter. The probabilities are quite low for where I live, and it gives me legal sanction to take any lethal measures to prevent it if it does happen.

But look at your OP: you got your blood pressure up, you were handling your loaded weapon, and you had an argument with a bum when simply ignoring him was an alternative. If that's the way you want to live your life while "answering your door", enjoy it. In my scenario, I peek and walk away to go back to my routine. No shouting, not wasted time, no loaded weapons handling.

Personally, that's just how I prefer it.

GM
    I am not going to be trapped in my own house, and be afraid to answer he door. A few weeks ago, I had the oppurtunity to help a man out who had run out of gas by answering the door. Fear will not stop me from answering my own door, but I will be prepared.
    I think in the same way . I will not let fear control my life.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

One reason I always carry inside the home.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I am not going to be trapped in my own house, and be afraid to answer he door. A few weeks ago, I had the oppurtunity to help a man out who had run out of gas by answering the door. Fear will not stop me from answering my own door, but I will be prepared.
    +1 Absolutely !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The OP specifically asked for "Any critiques other than don't open the door for strangers?", yet there are those who feel they must say he shouldn't have opened the door to the stranger. Maybe so, but it's specifically not what he is asking/posting for.

"unwanted visitor

So today i am at home getting dressed for work and i hear a knock on the door, yelled at grandma to let her know someone was here in case it was someone she knew, grabbed my .45 and held it behind my back and opened the door. As soon as i opened the door a shabby unkempt man who was standing outside opens up my screen door. I jumped back, yelled don't touch my effing door. and began to bring my arm out from behind my back, but stopped just as my knuckles hit my hip. I did not flash my weapon at any point. He jumped back, shut the door. and then made an excuse about how he was just looking for some money for cigerettes and said he was willing to sweep my sidewalk for the money. (Note, there was no snow on said sidewalk at the time) He then tried to get me to let him wash my truck for a dollar. (I about took him up on this as it is rather dirty.) Instead I told him I keep no cash in the house or on me, and I do not give out money to strangers on my door and that he needed to get off my property. He then told me I was a rude butt and needed to get some manners, then turned around and walked next door. I went inside, called the police and as soon as I described him, the dispatcher told me they had gotten a few calls about him and police were en-route. Good to know my neighbors watch my house lol. The police said that he was known in the area, probably expected my grandma to be home alone since I normally am gone by the time he showed up and got a heck of a surprise when I opened up the door. He also said had I not scared him by yelling at him to not touch the door, he probably would have walked right in the house. We filed a report and asked for increased patrols in the area. Any critiques other than don't open the door for strangers? "

good job OB......

the only thing i would have done different is i would not have given him ANY explanation of not having cash on me........"NO.....GET OFF MY PROPERTY" would have been the only response i would have given

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    did good by the sounds of it to me. Make sure grandma doesn't open the door for him if he does come back.

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Do you grab your .45 every time someone knocks on your door? The girl scouts need to know this for cookie sales time.

^^^^I do^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I tell those evil little girls that they better hand over ALL the tagalongs they have and nobody gets hurt!

Just Kidding!!!!!!

Better to be safe than sorry.
    If you startle the vagabond or scare the Bejessus out of him, too bad!!
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    MadMac, in the intrests of democracy, i vote we agree to disagree. I understand your logic a bit more after reading all of your posts together, but personally I would rather speak with someone at my door then hope they leave. Besides, a door to door salesman sold me a great set of fishing knives and pliars once. Two fillet blades, a scaler, and a set of Gerber multi tool pliars with every fishing convienence at hand on them. all for 35 bucks, i called the company to make sure he was legit and did the deal. Just a difference of opinions
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    MadMac, in the intrests of democracy, i vote we agree to disagree. I understand your logic a bit more after reading all of your posts together, but personally I would rather speak with someone at my door then hope they leave. Besides, a door to door salesman sold me a great set of fishing knives and pliars once. Two fillet blades, a scaler, and a set of Gerber multi tool pliars with every fishing convienence at hand on them. all for 35 bucks, i called the company to make sure he was legit and did the deal. Just a difference of opinions
    Hey, it's OK with me. It's just how I handle this issue at my house. If you want to buy your products the 1950's way, that's cool as well. In the last ten years, the only door-to-door salespersons I've seen around are the scouts, frozen foods salesmen, alarm system guys, and the "yoots" who sell magazines to help them (in their words) "stay off the streets". I don't feel compelled to shoo them away. They do that on their own when I don't answer the door.

I am a bit interested in one commment you made. You said you "hope he walks away." What else would someone do? If he's the guy willing to crash down your door if he thinks you aren't home, he's just the type of crazy who will rush you as you open your door.

It's a game of statistics. About 99.9999% of doorbell ringers walk away when no one answers the door. That big group needs no intervention on my part. I don't play games with the other .00001 %

I'm always armed so we aren't prisoners in our home.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links