Defensive Carry banner

unwanted visitor

4K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  Bob F. 
#1 ·
So today i am at home getting dressed for work and i hear a knock on the door, yelled at grandma to let her know someone was here in case it was someone she knew, grabbed my .45 and held it behind my back and opened the door. As soon as i opened the door a shabby unkempt man who was standing outside opens up my screen door. I jumped back, yelled don't touch my effing door. and began to bring my arm out from behind my back, but stopped just as my knuckles hit my hip. I did not flash my weapon at any point. He jumped back, shut the door. and then made an excuse about how he was just looking for some money for cigerettes and said he was willing to sweep my sidewalk for the money. (Note, there was no snow on said sidewalk at the time) He then tried to get me to let him wash my truck for a dollar. (I about took him up on this as it is rather dirty.) Instead I told him I keep no cash in the house or on me, and I do not give out money to strangers on my door and that he needed to get off my property. He then told me I was a rude butt and needed to get some manners, then turned around and walked next door. I went inside, called the police and as soon as I described him, the dispatcher told me they had gotten a few calls about him and police were en-route. Good to know my neighbors watch my house lol. The police said that he was known in the area, probably expected my grandma to be home alone since I normally am gone by the time he showed up and got a heck of a surprise when I opened up the door. He also said had I not scared him by yelling at him to not touch the door, he probably would have walked right in the house. We filed a report and asked for increased patrols in the area. Any critiques other than don't open the door for strangers?

See less See more
#2 ·
did good by the sounds of it to me. Make sure grandma doesn't open the door for him if he does come back.

#42 ·
did good by the sounds of it to me. Make sure grandma doesn't open the door for him if he does come back.

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Do you grab your .45 every time someone knocks on your door? The girl scouts need to know this for cookie sales time.

^^^^I do^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I tell those evil little girls that they better hand over ALL the tagalongs they have and nobody gets hurt!

Just Kidding!!!!!!

Better to be safe than sorry.
If you startle the vagabond or scare the Bejessus out of him, too bad!!

#5 ·
INccwchris, we've found more common ground than not, but this post strikes me as paranoia of the lone bum as an axe-murdering home invader. Sure it happens. I'm sure that you have a lot on your plate with work and keeping your grandma safe. While paranoia is not a crime, here's my take.
As soon as i opened the door a shabby unkempt man who was standing outside opens up my screen door.
You said it =
Don't open the door for strangers.
I told him I keep no cash in the house or on me, and I do not give out money to strangers on my door and that he needed to get off my property. He then told me I was a rude butt and needed to get some manners, then turned around and walked next door.
This is good advertisement for you. There is a bum grapevine of which you seem to be aware and suspecting that your grandma is falling prey:
The police said that he was known in the area, probably expected my grandma to be home alone since I normally am gone by the time he showed up and got a heck of a surprise when I opened up the door.
The police are telling you that your presence probably surprised the bum and avoided a home invasion? We're all on the same side, but it's rather extreme if the police actually said that? Sorry, I'm not getting the same warm and fuzzy commendation of my presence from the police. Maybe it's your uniform?
He also said had I not scared him by yelling at him to not touch the door, he probably would have walked right in the house. We filed a report and asked for increased patrols in the area.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you. Best to err on the side of paranoia. But are you looking for an army of these home-invading bums? Aren't the police directing the "gentleman" to a more appropriate abode?

#6 ·
i was not in uniform yet ,i had just barely finished shaving and was in just my gym shorts and t-shirt i wear around the house. I think the officer meant more along the lines of being surprised it was 6'0 280 me standing at the door instead of 5'5 150 pound grandma and that I did not just step aside and welcome him in. I do think the officers statement was a bit reaching, but nevertheless. Honestly I wish he hadn't said that because now my grandma might worry more if she heard him say that. And yes, I do always answer the door with a weapon somewhere either behind my back in my hand or on my hip like normal, I am not of the mind frame that I should never open my door to someone and would help someone in desperate need, or buy girl scout cookies because i love samoas, but I do believe in having my weapon right there instead of across the room where it would do no good. that plus the spidey sense went off so i figured better safe than sorry. Not expecting any more trouble, but we have had our problems in this neighborhood in the past. Also, do you think I did the right thing by saying I keep no cash on me or in my house? Part of me says yes, but a back part of my mind is saying well maybe he will think i gotta be lying and come back to check later

#10 ·
Also, do you think I did the right thing by saying I keep no cash on me or in my house? Part of me says yes, but a back part of my mind is saying well maybe he will think i gotta be lying and come back to check later
Yes, you did the right thing. I'm sure he's smart enough to know you have some money. But you sent the message that he is not going to get it. And make no mistake, these guys share information.

I'm not paranoid of a bum invasion. But I work within sight of the local homeless shelter. I got approached semi regularly when I started. I rarely get approached any more. I never give anything. If you think I am making too much of it, then I got a story. I went on vacation, and the new guy working there got approached 2 nights in a row. Had to threaten to call 911 to get them to leave one night. I think someone noticed a new car parked there. I did not get messed with after coming back for several weeks. The advice I got when I started was that if you give somebody something, be ready to give everybody something.

#7 ·
I know my answer but, what would you have done had he crossed the threshold? Training events like this should make us look deep down inside our souls for the answer to this question so there is no hesitation during a time when your life may very well depend on your decision. I think you know your answer also but many have not done the soul searching to find the answer and the time to do it isn't when your life is on the line.

#8 ·
With a .45 in his hand, I have no doubt what INccwchris would do. The answer is that you don't give bums a handhold with a handout where you live. A gentle kick is appropriate.
a back part of my mind is saying well maybe he will think i gotta be lying and come back to check later
You might be overthinking this.

#12 ·
Here we are again - one of my favorite topics. I'll respectfully disagree. YOU DIDN'T DO THE RIGHT THING.

Why did you even open the door? If you cannot see who's at the door, install a peephole or a side light so you can determine who's calling on you. If none of those is proper, a video system is very cheap nowadays. If you don't recognize them, and didn't initiate the visit, simply walk away and let them stand there until they leave. If it is one of granny's friends, you'd be able to tell, and then you wouldn't be opening the door while trying to conceal a .45. You'd swing the door open and say, "Good morning, Mrs Dewlap. How are you this morning? Please come in."

As you handled it, you first shouted obscenities at a stranger, then got dragged into a discussion with a bum. Just what he wanted. You are now arguing with him on his terms. Why? Do you like chatting with bums, or spending your morning shouting and turning down his offers of "help"? Personally, I find that too stressful.

Simply not answering the door would have been the safest thing to do: no weapons handling, no shouting, no debate with a wino, no fuss.

You guys who swing open the door everytime someone knocks/rings like it's a present on Christmas morning amuse me. It's Pavlovian.

#13 ·
Kinda crappy weather for washing a car, isn't it?

You opened the door, prepared for the unexpected. What's wrong with that?

#16 ·
Every granny needs a nice shelter dog to let people know that she is never alone. They make great companions. I keep pepper spray and a cane next to my front door and I can see from inside the house who is there before answering. Your buddy will get the word out to his friends that there is a large male that lives at that residence.

#17 ·
Re: Not answering the door- last year we had a half dozen homes broken into in the neighborhood. They targeted houses without home-alarm yard signs then knock on the front door to see if anyone was home, no answer then they go around to the carport or backyard and kick the door in. If someone answers they use the line looking for work or a handout. If they may kick the door in should grandma just answer the door, tough call...
If I don't recognize the guy on my porch I'll be armed before opening the door, considering he may be casing the place for a break-in. If it's one of those guys then it is made very clear (in a polite manner) that he has picked the wrong house and neighborhood before calling the police.

#18 ·
I still answer my door.

'Cause the last time I went out on my porch with my rifle, none of the neighbors were out there with theirs, so it ain't time yet.

OTOH, I do use the peephole. And out here we don't have a bunch of city winos trying to dust walks, or wash cars.

Chris, I think you did fine. I'm glad you called the PD to report it, your neighbors may not be so well prepared.

#19 ·
Did you ask Grandma if he had been there before? Maybe that is why he was going to walk right in....

Peepholes and sidelights are great to see who is there, but I would still be armed when I was looking out. Why not?
I am generally already armed, so I would not disarm. But on the few days I am not already armed I usually do the same thing. Grab a weapon and go look outside at who is at the door.

The rescue dog for Grandma was the best idea unless you already have a dog.

Sled

#21 ·
Grandma was looking at him from behind me and would have said something if she knew him, and we have a chiuaua, very loud very irritating when something she dosen't like is going on, she was going crazy the whole time and had she been let loose probably would have licked the man to death

#22 ·
I came home from work one day and saw fresh shoe prints (grass was wet but deck dry) on my front deck. Asked my SO if someone stopped by, she said two guys just knocked on the door, she looked through the peep hole, didn't recognize them and didn't answer the door. Then she saw them walk to the neighbors house.
I said "good job" on not answering the door and called my neighbor to see whats up. He said a guy and girl in there mid 20's where going around the neighborhood asking if people needed their carpet cleaned.
She did good on not answering the door...but need to pay attention to physical descriptions.

#23 ·
Its a personal decision and a judgement call re answering the door.
Example, for the post above this one.
Your SO has been in a serious traffic accident and transported to the hospital. All the PD uniformed officers are tied up so the desk Seargent asks a couple dicks/narcs that are not busy to drive out to their listed residence and notify family/SO/etc, that they are seriously injured and in the hospital. You decide not to answer the door.

#24 ·
Posit a scenario. *raises hand* I want to play!

My scenario: Playboy bus breaks down in front of your house. All the girls are tired, hungry, and need a shower. They knock on your door hoping to all get a chance in your shower. You fail to answer the door.

I have a window light, and many salesmen, beggars, miscreants, girls scouts, bums, and peddlars have seen my eye in the small window and never had me answer the door. If a narc/plain clothes dick comes to my door, they can either flash some creds or cool their heels.

#25 ·
Not a scenario, actual occurrence. IF you don't answer the door or they don't see your eye in the peep, how do they know to flash creds. They might announce/might not. Your problem, not mine, I answer the door.

#26 ·
I am not going to be trapped in my own house, and be afraid to answer he door. A few weeks ago, I had the oppurtunity to help a man out who had run out of gas by answering the door. Fear will not stop me from answering my own door, but I will be prepared.

#28 · (Edited)
Who said anything about being afraid? You're posting like those anti-gun people who laugh at YOU and call you afraid for your ccw.

I simply don't wish to waste time (if I am at home) talking to salesmen, beggars, girl scouts, tradesmen, or miscreants. I am not remotely afraid of them. Look at the OP again. Instead of looking out the door or peephole to see a scruffy hobo and go back to his morning preperations, he has to drag out the .45 and have a argument with a bum. If I see that guy out there, I go back to my routine and wait for him to wander off. If my uninvited caller is smart enough to be burglar casing my house, he will certainly notice three cars, a crisply mowed lawn, no papers on the driveway, and plenty of curious neighbors. If he still wants to attempt to get past my physical security and get in, he's in for a rude surprise.

Trapped? I ride a bike almost everyday, I walk 18 holes of golf at least once a week, and walk my grandkids around the neighborhood. I am a platinum flyer on a major airline. I am headed out to my outdoor jacuzzi in a few to enjoy a hot soak and a stogie. I'm certainly not cowering behind my locked doors quaking in fear. I just can't be bothered with useless BeeEss. Also, as I have posted here before, a couple years ago, a bloodied youth knocked on a neighbor's door, and asked for help. He attacked the 62 year-old Good Samaritan, beat him nearly to death, and sexually assaulted his wife.

Great that you were able to help some loser who can't read his own gas gauge. There's a gas station less than a quarter mile from my home, and I don't keep gas in the garage as I don't have any gas-consuming doodads other than my cars. I am not AAA, and I don't have medical training. If someone on the porch wants help, I'll happily dial 911 for them from behind my locked door. I can quickly summon a professional to help them with any issue they may have: AAA, cops, ambulance, etc.

That's not fear, that is putting safety for me and mine FIRST.

#30 ·
I have two windows on the side of my door. I can clearly see who is outside. I also have a locking storm door that stays locked. At 6' 225 I'm not too worried about old men and girl scouts. In fact, I'm a sucker for those dang cookies! :(

#31 ·
soo basically you think I should have hid behind my front door and waited for him to break it down assuming noone was home? I don't subscribe to that line of thinking, sorry but as long as I am living, I will answer my front door, alibeit armed and ready to react. There is too much to risk by not answering and not enough to gain, personally thats how i feel

#36 ·
Funny, but the only anecdotal evidence I have is that the greater risk lies in opening your door. I guess you're saying that if you don't answer the door, a miscreant will likely break it down assuming no one is at home. Was that what this uninvited visitor was planning? I don't think statistics favor that view.

For the dozens of salesmen, tradesmen, beggars, girl scouts, cub scouts, politicians, and panhandlers that have come to my door over the many years we've lived here, not one has ever tried to forcibly enter my home.

In any case, here in NC, we don't have a Castle Doctrine, but we do have a specific law that gives me the legal right to use deadly force if someone is trying to forcibly enter my home. So yes, I'll wait for someone to try to forcibly enter. The probabilities are quite low for where I live, and it gives me legal sanction to take any lethal measures to prevent it if it does happen.

But look at your OP: you got your blood pressure up, you were handling your loaded weapon, and you had an argument with a bum when simply ignoring him was an alternative. If that's the way you want to live your life while "answering your door", enjoy it. In my scenario, I peek and walk away to go back to my routine. No shouting, not wasted time, no loaded weapons handling.

Personally, that's just how I prefer it.

#34 ·
To the OP i"m glad it was your instead of your grandma opening the door. I'd say get her another dog, but bigger. I think you did great concerning positioning yourself and giving verbal commands. and there is nothing wrong with having firearm in hand , it would be foolish to answer the door with out it.

The "open don't open" debate is one that will always have differing sides. :icon_neutral:
For me and my house if the door gets open to a stranger, I'm the one doing it and i AM armed with firearm in hand, and in ready low position with the door opened partly so my whole right side of my body is concealed and my right foot is acting as a stop, if they advance And push the door then i am in a ready position.It may not be the best tactical positioning but it what i do However it is a RARE occasion that my door opens.
Quick Story:
Years ago before I decided not to open my door to every knock , i had a pushy salesman, when i finally told him no enough he walked away (note he did not com into my home) a few minutes later he was knocking on my door again. so I retrieved my shotty and went to the door and racked the slide and answered with the door shotty in view...LOL he didnt have much to say except.. uh um...uh...um... bye. LOL

#38 ·
One reason I always carry inside the home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.