My wife's "Awkward" robbery attempt

This is a discussion on My wife's "Awkward" robbery attempt within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened about eight years ago. Can't remember if I've related this before but couldn't find it doing a search. She was in Portsmouth, VA ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife's "Awkward" robbery attempt

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

My wife's "Awkward" robbery attempt

This happened about eight years ago. Can't remember if I've related this before but couldn't find it doing a search.

She was in Portsmouth, VA (not the greatest town BTW) at a Walgreens around 2100 when a suspicious man walked up to her, right up against the building not 20 feet from the entrance just as she got to the front of her car, and asked for some change. This is not at all uncommon for this neighborhood.

She opened her purse and wallet (yeah, I know) and pulled out some change. He spotted a $10 in there and ' asked' for it. She of course said, "No." About this time she dropped her keys on the ground and he quickly picked them up and and more forcefully demanded the money, while leaning into her against the wall.

My wife has several health problems, including fibromyalgia, and is not capable of physical resistance. At this point she slipped her hand into her purse and got a grip on her H&K USP 40.

The situation was about to get real bad when a car pulled up in the next stall and a very loud siren yelped. It was a marked cruiser. The BG relinquished the keys and walked off. The LEO told my wife that he had observed the situation from the stoplight and figured she needed some help.

She told me she would have been hesitant to shoot him since he was unarmed and 'just holding my keys.' My opinion was that it was a robbery, it was about to escalate, and in her condition, she had the perfect right to defend herself.

Glad it all ended well beause I'm sure it would have been dragged through the courts for quite a while.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

I'm starting off wondering why the LEO allowed the guy to just walk off? Isn't that considered a strongarm robbery?
    Last edited by Orange Boy; January 31st, 2011 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Had the incident escalted, no doubt that she would have been justified in defending herself. I think that at the time LE arrived it was in a grey area between aggressive panhandling and robbery.

I'm doubt that the officer(s) perceived exactly what was going on, only that the lady may have needed some help. I think that not letting him jet and at least interviewing the guy would be in order.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Down here in the South, I'd say that that dirtbag needed shootin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry that happened to your wife. Glad it stopped before deadly force on her part had to be used. Glad she was armed. Glad the LEO showed up. That said, the fact that he "forcefully demanded the money and leaned her againsts the wall" is more than enough to charge this individual with attempted robbery in Florida and leave it up to the SA to decide to prosecute. Force, putting in fear and intimidation were all there along with the demand for her money.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Based on your description, it appears to be an attempted strong-arm robbery. There must have been something about the details whereby the LEO didn’t contact the guy. Perhaps your wife capitulated the request for more money by offering change. As for your wife’s decision not to shoot, exemplifies the fine line between ‘fear for life’ and prudence. Frankly, I’m not sure I would have hesitated.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Maybe the OP can clarify. I did not preceive from the narrative that the individual (susp) "leaned" (an unclear term in itself) her aginst the wall.

I'd have at least had to check the guy out. Make sure he wasn't wanted for something already!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

" while leaning into her against the wall" was the quote from the OP so I miss quoted him in my reply. I got the impression from this that the individual was leaning into her making contact with her by using his body weight as force and she was physically against the wall. Correct me if I am wrong on this account OP.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    " while leaning into her against the wall" was the quote from the OP so I miss quoted him in my reply. I got the impression from this that the individual was leaning into her making contact with her by using his body weight as force and she was physically against the wall. Correct me if I am wrong on this account OP.
    That about covers it. I think the LEO let him slide because he ran off so quickly, he knew him, and/or he wasn't aware exactly what was going on.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

So at some point, he did use physical force against her?

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Well, I'm happy for the both of ya she didn't have to shoot......
    Even more, I'm pleased she was ready to shoot.

Sounds to me like the situation had JUST escalated into a strong-arm robbery as the officer rolled up.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

...and the cop didn't bother arresting him? Bummer.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Glad it worked out well (GOOD COP) he was on top of it. I live in Norfolk and work the shipyards so I know how Portsmouth is believe me!!!!!! I am in and out of there all the time and unarmed I might add as I go into the Navy yard almost every day and would never want to get caught with a pistol there, that would end my carrer for sure along with my CCW and possibly me freedom...

Thanks for the clarification Paramedic 70002. Glad it all worked out well for your wife and glad she carries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links