Would you Draw 1st or Run

This is a discussion on Would you Draw 1st or Run within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just because you can legally carry a firearms, doesn't give you the right to use it. States have different laws on justifiable force and where ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you Draw 1st or Run

Just because you can legally carry a firearms, doesn't give you the right to use it. States have different laws on justifiable force and where the Castle Doctrine applies (in your home, in a building, on the street etc.). Regardless if there is a Castle Doctrine n your state or not, the burden of proof is on you to prove that your life was in imminent danger, regardless if you are required to attempt to retreat or not. Letting bullets start flying because you see a gun (the person could be plain clothes LEO, licensed to carry etc.) will most likely put you away for a long time.

2. Remove Ads

Um ok, so I see a gun. Unless something else happens I am saying go get one of those pretzels with the sugar. If he is a threat, well I am leaving that parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by JGamble View Post
    Came across this gem..I think I would run and fight another day, although a couple of years ago my ego was huge and I would have said draw 1st and let them fly.

Draw, Move or Both
    A normal Saturday at the mall, a busy parking lot filled to capacity with cars; Dozens and dozens of shoppers about, a glimmer catches your eye, is it a shopping cart, a cell phone…GUN. Threat 25 meters away, what do you do? Draw, let the bullets fly and what happens happens. Move to cover, possibly run away, or move and draw cooking off rounds as you go.

How fast can you move and draw your weapon simultaneously? Can you do two things as fast as one? How many bullets will be flying towards you in the time it takes to draw? How can you make yourself more difficult to hit? Are you really going to fire rounds while running away, in a crowded parking lot?

you can read the rest here...http://gonetraining.blogspot.com/

Drawing my weapon, or should i say... aiming and firing my weapon at someone is always a last resort. I will do everything at my disposal to avoid firing my weapon. On the other hand being too gun shy can be dangerous, advance CQ training gives you knowledge and discipline... which equals confidence.

We like to use the Mall scenarios, so if your at the mall and a FEMALE pulls out a weapon and hangs it by HER side in HER hand and shows no aggression, she's just doing slow 360's not saying anything, people are screaming and running and your appox 90 feet away ... ask yourself... what'd you do? Your by yourself no family.

You'll see many options/actions people will take, not necessary a right or wrong action, but an action will be taken.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Bad "what if", which some have alluded to. 75 feet away at a mall with people around and I am suppose to do something because I am CC and because I supposedly "saw something"? Someone said it already--just because I am CC does not, in any way, shape, or form, turn me into Dirty Harry. I am CC to protect myself and those with me from imminent danger and although there is an alter ego rule in SC (defend others as if they are you) it has little bearing on something 75 feet away.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    It sounds like someone with no skills is pining for a job as a fiction writer.
    That might be right
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Bad "what if", which some have alluded to. 75 feet away at a mall with people around and I am suppose to do something because I am CC and because I supposedly "saw something"? Someone said it already--just because I am CC does not, in any way, shape, or form, turn me into Dirty Harry. I am CC to protect myself and those with me from imminent danger and although there is an alter ego rule in SC (defend others as if they are you) it has little bearing on something 75 feet away.
    Keep in mind that 90 feet is only from Home Plate to First base, its not that far, YES its a far shot, but that doesn't mean you'll shoot from 90 feet away, its just your starting point. Like i said its not a right or wrong answer as much as an individuals choice. Most people have never been in a tactical situation, many people talk of actions in mundane scenarios, but its the tactical situations not so ordinary that taxes the thought process.

Your in a mall and someone pulls a gun and starts firing, your actions are clearer since the situation is establish, immediate fear of life, but how about when the situation isn't establish. Your thought process is a reflection of your training.

Draw, Move or Both
    A normal Saturday at the mall, a busy parking lot filled to capacity with cars; Dozens and dozens of shoppers about, a glimmer catches your eye, is it a shopping cart, a cell phone…GUN. Threat 25 meters away, what do you do? Draw, let the bullets fly and what happens happens. Move to cover, possibly run away, or move and draw cooking off rounds as you go.

How fast can you move and draw your weapon simultaneously? Fast enough. Probably faster than that. If I am having to move while drawing then I am already behind the power curve and will be moving with a sense of purpose.

Can you do two things as fast as one? It depends what those two things are. Move and assess a threat, yes. Tie my shoes while shooting, no.

How many bullets will be flying towards you in the time it takes to draw? Depends if I am the target or not as well as type of weapon and other factors.

How can you make yourself more difficult to hit? Cover, concealment, low profile........

Are you really going to fire rounds while running away, in a crowded parking lot? No, not while running away. If I am going to shoot into a crowded parking lot I am going to find cover and take the best aimed shots I can.

These open scenarios should make you think. I dont care about the rest of the actions. I saw a gun, now I am thinking of the next 10 scenarios. We all do this throughout the day. Who doesnt run through scenarios while being drug around by the wife. Group of "thugs" are headed towards you- Whos the leader? Who do I take out first? Who might have a weapon?- I know I do, but maybe I am just paranoid.....
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Look for the nearest RED PHONE to call in the MALL NINJAS
    2A is not negotiable

I would shut the TV off.
    Saw something and you were confused between a shopping cart and a gun?
    No mention (as others have said) of the disposition of the "possible" weapon?
    75 feet away? Is he even looking at me? Why would I run and not walk away?
    Where is my vehicle? towards him? away? Am I close to it?
    Is he out in the open? between vehicles? is he LEO?
    Shots fired?
    Threats yelled?

So with those questions in hand here is what I would do....
    I would write to the admins of my concealed carry forum and ask that "what if" scenarios be vetted to at least have 3 or 4 facts (even though made up) in them so that people could actually
    answer seriously.
    I have a love/hate relationship with these what if scenarios. I hate the ones that have no real set up at all, and love the ones that seem to portray something real so that we can all learn

Sled

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    Look for the nearest RED PHONE to call in the MALL NINJAS
    I thought you just needed to yell that you where going to be anally violated, and a huge man in black with special boots would jump out with duel glocks.

Personally, I don't know what the fuss is all about...
    I would Draw.
    A better description of the scenario...

This one is too vague... But if I saw a cart, a cel phone, a GUN, I would just pay more attention to the GUN before doing anything else... I gots lotsa OODA to go thru before I decide to DRAW my GUN.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    I would get low and use the cars between me and the threat to beat a hasty retreat. It's easy to get lost in a parking lot.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I'd yell for Gecko45 and his armored suped up anti-terrorist golf cart to come and save everyone! Oh, sorry, he works at a different mall! Never mind, I'd just continue minding my own business and walk to my truck--unless something more than just "seeing a gun" occured. Then I'd probably take cover and dial 911 if it appeared the individual with the gun was an actual threat, rather than just a lawabiding CCW holder who happend to expose his/her firearm by accident. Drawing my firearm would be a last resort only in case it was needed to prevent serious bodily harm or death to me or someone close to me. I'm NOT a LEO and don't intend to start acting like one, much less a mall ninja! As other's have said, not enough info in the OPs scenario.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    Perhaps first we can try and determine what the glimmer is (25 meter glimmer) soda can? ninja sword? lost robot? roll of tin foil etc.... and just take it from there.............

Have you seen my lost robot?

I can't imagine anyone reading the scenario as posted and thinking drawing their gun is the first action they should take. This sounds like a good way to get shot by a plains clothes police officer.
    Geesh, 25 meters? put some distance between you and what you think might be a gun and if you have extra minutes on your cell phone call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    Can you do two things as fast as one? It depends what those two things are. Move and assess a threat, yes. Tie my shoes while shooting, no.
    I always practice tying my shoe as I reach down to draw from my ankle holster.

How many bullets will be flying towards you in the time it takes to draw? Depends if I am the target or not as well as type of weapon and other factors.
    Hopefully NONE, how many do you want?

How can you make yourself more difficult to hit? Cover, concealment, low profile........
    I would put on my pocket ghillie suit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links