Would you Draw 1st or Run - Page 3

Would you Draw 1st or Run

This is a discussion on Would you Draw 1st or Run within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey gunsite: With regards to your reply, you say that 90 ft away is just your starting point. My reply really is saying that situational ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you Draw 1st or Run

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey gunsite: With regards to your reply, you say that 90 ft away is just your starting point. My reply really is saying that situational awareness and 90 ft away is my ending point----this is not my dog and this is not my fight. I am out of there--this is not what I call "my presumption of imminent threat of great bodily injury or death" and would have cause to think that if something "happened" a prosecutor or a jury would find my "presumption" at 90 ft to be excusable and correct. I do agree with you that talking the talk, as we are doing, and walking the walk are very different. Let us hope that we can always talk and never have to walk.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Since everything seems to "glimmer" in this bright FL sun, OP's supposed "weapon" would have to be a chromed-out "pimp-o-matic." That's another reason I bought a Glock; not glimmer. Easier to CC undetected in the sparkling FL sun.

Sunny and predicted to be about 78-80 today, by the way.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Sledzep01 View Post
    I would shut the TV off.
    Now that made me chuckle right there!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Ė Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Ė Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey gunsite: With regards to your reply, you say that 90 ft away is just your starting point. My reply really is saying that situational awareness and 90 ft away is my ending point----this is not my dog and this is not my fight. I am out of there--this is not what I call "my presumption of imminent threat of great bodily injury or death" and would have cause to think that if something "happened" a prosecutor or a jury would find my "presumption" at 90 ft to be excusable and correct. I do agree with you that talking the talk, as we are doing, and walking the walk are very different. Let us hope that we can always talk and never have to walk.
    i was just making a point that 90 feet isn't that far away, to shoot at a target, yes its far, but to be within 90 feet of an incident isn't far at all... and that some situations don't always have a clear fight or flight option. At 75-90 feet you... i should say we, might not be able to identify the target actions as the original post stated, if we see people running from an area/person, can we ID the reason, would we retreat with others or advance to ID. What may be visible for some may not be visible from our location 75-90 away. A target thats shooting is easy, the option of flight or fight to stop the threat is clear, but a target (identified) standing fast with a weapon in their hand hanging at their side with a 1000 yard stare.... its decision time.

We've all done it... at the mall waiting for our wives, girls, or kids, and you start the thought process of scenarios according to your surroundings. Take a moment next time and think of scenario as we described here when your at the mall, visualize the scenario and process your tactics/actions.

Humm about 75 feet you say, beyond the rang of what most can comfortabley shoot accurately at....
    How do you know the gun guy is a threat to you and not just stopping another threat....
    Moving targets are harder to hit....
    I practice moving and shooting all the time at the range...
    Insufficient data to shoot at anything, so it's duck n cover, dial 911, observe at the ready....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I always practice tying my shoe as I reach down to draw from my ankle holster.
    LOL

NONE, how many do you want?
    Well I want none as well, but the question didnt ask what I want

would put on my pocket ghillie suit.
    I need one of them
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey gunsite: Still do not get it. God Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Guys... the scenario only says you saw a gun... it says nothing about holstered, drawn, being fired, being brandished, etc... there is no possible way to adequately assess any threat level whatsoever from this scenario as described so it is completely impossible to determine a course of action. For you guys that are already bobbin' and weavin' while drawing your piece and snapping off shots... take your meds, visit a day spa, have some hot chocolate, chill out....
    This...

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Someone 80 feet away on a busy day at the mall in a crowded parking lot. Just how many folks are within that range? I think I see a gun? And what, make like a panty wetting anti and start world war III? Where's the threat? Did the wind just blow an off-duty LEO's jacket back and I saw a gun? Or a fellow ccw'er?? Is this a zombie foaming at the mouth and charging me?

No perceived threat, no action on my part - not running, drawing or firing.
    NRA Life Member

Kind of a ridiculous situation if you ask me. You should really put more thought into the scenarios you post if you want serious input.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

In my neck of the woods, I'd stroll up and ask the guy what he's carrying. Probably talk shop a little bit, and then give him my cell number and ask him if he wants to join to gang shooting at the farm.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Really!

You need to also take in account that most malls have a 30.06 signs posted, you wouldn't be legally allowed to carry your weapon. (depending on state) Furthermore ES: Texas Penal Code Chapter 9 Sec Sec. 42.01 (8) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly: displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.

THINK BEFORE YOU EVER 'THINK' OF DRAWING YOUR WEAPON
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links