Would you Draw 1st or Run

This is a discussion on Would you Draw 1st or Run within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Came across this gem..I think I would run and fight another day, although a couple of years ago my ego was huge and I would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you Draw 1st or Run

Would you Draw 1st or Run

Came across this gem..I think I would run and fight another day, although a couple of years ago my ego was huge and I would have said draw 1st and let them fly.

Draw, Move or Both
    A normal Saturday at the mall, a busy parking lot filled to capacity with cars; Dozens and dozens of shoppers about, a glimmer catches your eye, is it a shopping cart, a cell phone…GUN. Threat 25 meters away, what do you do? Draw, let the bullets fly and what happens happens. Move to cover, possibly run away, or move and draw cooking off rounds as you go.

How fast can you move and draw your weapon simultaneously? Can you do two things as fast as one? How many bullets will be flying towards you in the time it takes to draw? How can you make yourself more difficult to hit? Are you really going to fire rounds while running away, in a crowded parking lot?

you can read the rest here...http://gonetraining.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JGamble View Post
    Came across this gem..I think I would run and fight another day, although a couple of years ago my ego was huge and I would have said draw 1st and let them fly.

Draw, Move or Both
    A normal Saturday at the mall, a busy parking lot filled to capacity with cars; Dozens and dozens of shoppers about, a glimmer catches your eye, is it a shopping cart, a cell phone…GUN. Threat 25 meters away, what do you do? Draw, let the bullets fly and what happens happens. Move to cover, possibly run away, or move and draw cooking off rounds as you go.

How fast can you move and draw your weapon simultaneously? Can you do two things as fast as one? How many bullets will be flying towards you in the time it takes to draw? How can you make yourself more difficult to hit? Are you really going to fire rounds while running away, in a crowded parking lot?

Start popping off shots just because you "see a gun"?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

First thing I'd do if that's what came to mind when some glimmer caught my eye is go back on the meds.

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    25 meters? The first thing I'd do is wonder why I am thinking in metric. Then if that didn't slow me down too much, I'd have to determine if the sun was at my back or theirs. Do I have packages in my hands? Am I carrying a case of ammo from Dick's? What's on TV later that day? I don't want to be missing the Superbowl because I got in a gunfight at the mall...

Quote Originally Posted by JGamble View Post

Draw, Move or Both

Perhaps first we can try and determine what the glimmer is (25 meter glimmer) soda can? ninja sword? lost robot? roll of tin foil etc.... and just take it from there.............

If it's a nerf gun you better not be in Jersey...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

A couple of things I would have to consider...I do NOT go to a mall by myself. I only go to a mall IF dragged there kicking and screaming like a little girl by my wife and 99% of the time, my six year old daughter is there too. Thus:

I am getting my daughter to rock solid cover while my wife (a sworn officer) and I unass the area. I don't get paid to run to the sound of gunfire any longer...as as the scenario is presented...the actor has done nothing wrong yet. So, I am certainly not going to start a shooting scrape just because a feller is armed. Why? Well...number one, because I am always armed and don't feel like being someone else's bullet trap if they see MY gun.

It may sound all un-manly and whatnot...but hey...my first duty is to protect my cub. Circumstances may mitigate my above post though...I mean is the guy dressed in middle eastern garb wearing an Osama Bin Laden Rocks t-shirt? Is he wearing panty hose, a nose ring, carrying a Ms. Beasley doll?

Absent any other factors...we'd just leave. Make a note. On down the road. See ya bye bye.

Now, if the feller starts shooting...then it is the wife's job to get the cub out of there while I do what needs to be done. That has always been the plan, her job is cub safety, mine is threat termination. I am closer to dying than she is anyway (statistically speaking)...so, there you have it. No, I am not going to stand by and let innocent people get gunned down, especially if I have a good chance to put the actor in the dirt...but MY kid comes first. Since we would be at the mall...I am fairly certain there are LOTS of cars near me. I would get behind a nice engine block, brace my shot....extend, touch, press, repeat as neccessary. I can hit pretty freakin' well at 25 or even 50 yards with my pistol....certainly well enough to drop rounds into the high center chest.

But really? If the guy is guilty of nothing more than bad timing and letting his gun be seen? I am not going to get all stressed over it. Make note...and keep your wits about you.
    Last edited by AZ Infidel; February 4th, 2011 at 11:19 AM.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Mall. On a weekend no less. Nuff said.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Guys... the scenario only says you saw a gun... it says nothing about holstered, drawn, being fired, being brandished, etc... there is no possible way to adequately assess any threat level whatsoever from this scenario as described so it is completely impossible to determine a course of action. For you guys that are already bobbin' and weavin' while drawing your piece and snapping off shots... take your meds, visit a day spa, have some hot chocolate, chill out....
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Too much fluff to be taken seriously.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

It sounds like someone with no skills is pining for a job as a fiction writer.

Proceed into mall, find a "Outback Restaurant" go in and order some coconut shrimp and a Fosters. Enjoy.

I would unleash hell on everyone while dual wielding gold plated desert eagles...because I am the mall ninja.

The scenario is a little vague, but if I suspect somebody has a gun AND is a direct threat to me or my family, there's no chance in hell that I'm turning my back. I'd rather take a shot to the chest than a shot to the back- if I'm going down, I will go down fighting.

All this because I was printing?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links