Another reason to not interfere with LEOs doing their jobs: McGruff on your butt!

This is a discussion on Another reason to not interfere with LEOs doing their jobs: McGruff on your butt! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Old School So far I have not been able to find one instance of a police K-9 killing a child or an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another reason to not interfere with LEOs doing their jobs: McGruff on your butt!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    So far I have not been able to find one instance of a police K-9 killing a child or an adult for that matter and I hope that is the case. If someone could show negligence on the part of the K-9 handler I suppose there could be a law suit.
    There doesn't have to be a death for there to be negligence. I might just as well have ended my sentence with "a child bitten severely."

And, the fact that the wrong person was bitten sort of speaks for itself and proves the negligence.

There doesn't need to be any further showing. It happened. Dog bit wrong guy.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Not sure about this one. There was a time when I would jump to help out someone in need but I no longer subscribe to the Good Samaritan vernacular. Seems that everyone is looking for a free ride on the backs of people trying to make a difference. This story all sounds well intended but more times than not, it backfires.
    The old saying, "let no good deed go unpunished," seems to apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    There doesn't have to be a death for there to be negligence. I might just as well have ended my sentence with "a child bitten severely."

And, the fact that the wrong person was bitten sort of speaks for itself and proves the negligence.

I dunno. It sounds like the dog THOUGHT he bit the right guy.
    Dogs don't shoot, they bite.

So lets say the cops were in a shoot out with some dude, and "good Samaritan" comes running up with a gun too. My guess is, cops are gonna shoot him.

Well the dog was chasing a guy (we'll say he was in a shoot out - doggy style) and another guy comes running up "armed" in the same way as the person that the dog was fighting with, so the dog bit him.
    I'm gonna say mistake on the FF's fault. He was doing something he had no business doing, and got the consequences for it. It's not like the dog bit some random passerby on the street, he bit someone who "joined the fight"
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I dunno. It sounds like the dog THOUGHT he bit the right guy.
    Dogs don't shoot, they bite.

So lets say the cops were in a shoot out with some dude, and "good Samaritan" comes running up with a gun too. My guess is, cops are gonna shoot him.

Well the dog was chasing a guy (we'll say he was in a shoot out - doggy style) and another guy comes running up "armed" in the same way as the person that the dog was fighting with, so the dog bit him.
    I'm gonna say mistake on the FF's fault. He was doing something he had no business doing, and got the consequences for it. It's not like the dog bit some random passerby on the street, he bit someone who "joined the fight"
    Yep I agree, I think the FF had good intentions, and was trying to help. He probably did not realize the K9 was on the scene. As far as the dog I believe he reacted as he was trained, and if there had not been a K9 on the scene the PD may have inadvertently shot the firefighter, not realizing he was not a second suspect. This is just an unfortunate accident, the firefighter should not be punished, nor should the police department or K9.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Article clearly stated the canine was trained to go for the nearest target. The LEO had no way to know the second man was not also a burglar.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Im a full time FF and im gonna chime in here a second. Yes the FF was just trying to help, BUT, he shoudlnt have done what he did. He's not trained for that. Guys when im on duty and we get some type of info like that we call the PD. He should have NEVER left that firehouse while on duty unless he had a fire call. If I left the Firehouse and did what he did I would be Fired, I cant believe he did that. For one thing, what if a fully envolved structure fire broke out somewhere, now look where he's at, he's not even at the station prepared to suit up jump in the truck and fight that fire, OH MY GOD!! He's lucky he still has a job! So think about this a second, im not sure how many guys are on duty at this station, but lets say its a small town and he's the only one on duty and his job is to get that fire engine to a fire are vehicle wreck. Well while all this is going on a wreck happens on the other side of town and extrication is needed to get a mother and child out of the vehicle, but he cant get that engine there because he's getting hammered by a dog, what if that was your wife and child in that vehicle? Guys I know im being harsh but its the facts and thats how its is, if your a fireman and you get that info you pass it along to the police and you DONT leave that station unless you have a call that your trained for.

Never try to outrun a Police Dog. You'll just get tired and you'll piss off the Dog.

let the police do the police work. stay out of the way when ther on scene .just one more person to worrie about

The rule is simple when it comes to K-9 units...never get between the target and the K-9 or you become the new target. The firefighter, while his intentions were good, did something that has been discussed many times on this forum. He jumped into a situation without knowing all the facts.

Sounds like the dog did exactly as trained and the responding LEO had no idea who the "extra" suspect was. Dog took down one suspect and he got the other one. Any K9 handlers on here have good advice for how to get Fido to not chew on you? Freeze? Drop and ball up? Or just kiss your ass goodbye once the dog's running?

I feel for the FF... but that's kind of what you get when you want to play hero.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

sounds simple, handler did not have dog under control, dog bites wrong guy, dog gotta die! simple

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    After my experience with military police dogs I so don't envy that FF, but I think its a murphys law situation.

Honestly though what makes naming a MP dog Cujo sound like a good idea? The thing acted like its name sake so much that it attacked the MP unit commander who was standing there, heck it only had one handler that would go near it and rumor was he had to mace the thing a couple times to keep it from trying to kill him. So for murphys sake don't name a dog anything like Cujo, Cerberus, or Demon.....
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

3D
    Sometimes "discipline" does not mean the determination to DO something; . . but rather the determination to restrain yourself from doing something. . .i.e. to NOT DO something.

When the police are doing their job I'm staying out of their way.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

When I was a Security Policeman in the USAF we had a fence alarm go off in the CAS area (Conventional Armament Storage) they brought in K9 to search,we were told stay in your trucks ,a couple minutes later the dog alerted and they had another fence alarm,apparently somebody didn't wanta play with the doggy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    After my experience with military police dogs I so don't envy that FF, but I think its a murphys law situation.

Honestly though what makes naming a MP dog Cujo sound like a good idea? The thing acted like its name sake so much that it attacked the MP unit commander who was standing there, heck it only had one handler that would go near it and rumor was he had to mace the thing a couple times to keep it from trying to kill him. So for murphys sake don't name a dog anything like Cujo, Cerberus, or Demon.....
    We had a handler nickname Gonzo,dog named Marcus,Gonzo had taught Marcus a few doggy tricks,Squadron Commander was doing a post inspection,He had heard about Marcus and asked Gonzo to show him some tricks,so Gonzo does his routine and it's great.Then the Commander asks can he do any other tricks....Were looking like don't do it Gonzo,but Gonzo grins and says Marcus Dooky Dooky and points at the Commander,Marcus starts humping the Squadron Commanders leg,thank god a he had a sense of humour
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links